Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk1.5 1.8 Tdci

DAM13N

Hi All

Just a general query

I have a 52 Plate Ghia Hatchback 1.8 TDCI - 36,000 Miles on the clock

My Dad has a 03 Plate Ghia Estate 1.8 TDCI - 110,000 Miles on the clock

We both do the same millage to work exact same route however the Average MPG is different in both cars.

The 52 Plate is getting a average MPG of 50.4/51.4

The 03 Plate is getting a average MPG of 40/40.9

Does any one know what would be causing this? is it due to the age in terms of millage or could there be a underlying issue with my dads car?

It seem strange that we both work in the same place do exactly the same journey to work yet we differ in terms of MPG.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Damien

Combination of things really...

1) Age is a factor but thats just due to the miles you clock!

2) Mileage - More wear and tear means more inefficient!

3) Weight - Not much but the estate will still have a few KG's more than the hatch!

4) Driving Style - Are you a little more heavy footed?

5) Fuel Quality - Do you both go to the same place to purchase fuel? Do you both top up the same amount (Remember more fuel, more dead weight to haul around!)

6) the 03's service history will be the most likely culprit. Anything down to an aged fuel filter can cause inefficiency!

7) Tyres - tyre pressure also can cause resistance(along with the likes of roof racks) (apparently either of these two not setup correctly can cost 15% extra fuel!)

Give the estate a good service, change oil / oil\fuel filters, plugs etc and you should see an increase!

Hope this is a start!

Combination of things really...

1) Age is a factor but thats just due to the miles you clock!

2) Mileage - More wear and tear means more inefficient!

3) Weight - Not much but the estate will still have a few KG's more than the hatch!

4) Driving Style - Are you a little more heavy footed?

5) Fuel Quality - Do you both go to the same place to purchase fuel? Do you both top up the same amount (Remember more fuel, more dead weight to haul around!)

6) the 03's Service history will be the most likely culprit. Anything down to an aged fuel filter can cause inefficiency!

7) Tyres - tyre pressure also can cause resistance(along with the likes of roof racks) (apparently either of these two not setup correctly can cost 15% extra fuel!)

Give the estate a good service, change oil / oil\fuel filters, plugs etc and you should see an increase!

Hope this is a start!

something to remember is that no 2 engines are ever the same its all down to how they were built on the day some will have more bhp some less its all down to tolerances so no 2 cars will ever do identical mpg like has been said a good service is a start but even then both of you will not get the same mpg ever thats just the way that it is and as said no 2 people ever drive the same either so theres so many factors invol;ved

something to remember is that no 2 engines are ever the same its all down to how they were built on the day some will have more bhp some less its all down to tolerances so no 2 cars will ever do identical mpg like has been said a good service is a start but even then both of you will not get the same mpg ever thats just the way that it is and as said no 2 people ever drive the same either so theres so many factors invol;ved

Agreed, the best you can get is near or improved. Its unlikely that they will hit the same but closer would be better!

Thanks Guys I appreciate your time

I guess that your right, wear and tear with more miles on the clock it would have an effect I just thought it would be less of a effect than 10/11 MPG, in all fairness that is a awful lot. in regards to fuel we both use the same, yes i know i really shouldnt but we both use "supermarket" fuel, Asda/Tesco etc.

Driving style as I'm 21 year old, I should be the one with the heavy foot ha ha, and lower MPG but I am no boy racer, niether is my old man.

How do you go about changing the Fuel filter in these is it a complicated job, can I do it myself??

Regards Damien

Thanks Guys I appreciate your time

I guess that your right, wear and tear with more miles on the clock it would have an effect I just thought it would be less of a effect than 10/11 MPG, in all fairness that is a awful lot. in regards to fuel we both use the same, yes i know i really shouldnt but we both use "supermarket" fuel, Asda/Tesco etc.

Driving style as I'm 21 year old, I should be the one with the heavy foot ha ha, and lower MPG but I am no boy racer, niether is my old man.

How do you go about changing the Fuel filter in these is it a complicated job, can I do it myself??

Regards Damien

best suggestion is when you have a service use magnatec oil and use decent fuel up my way theres only 2p a litre difference between supermarket and Shell fuel however i get way better mpg with the Shell so i save money

I answered this yesterday for another member, take a look at http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18571

I also use supermarket fuel, and I am currently averaging 52.7 MPG - I'm just lazy and dont want to drive out of my way to get the decent fuel!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club