Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Doesnt Go In Properly

suddste

Hello,

Sometimes when I engage reverse gear, the gear seems to go in properly, then after a bit (or if I put too much load on it e.g rev'ing high, on a slope etc) it sometimes seems to sort of loose power, not stalling, just seems the gear has somehow been pulled out. It sometimes crunches. I know that gear crunching is common on any focus - I learnt on a AA driving school brand new 59 plate Focus and it crunched gears sometimes. However i'm just wondering what is doing it, and weather anything is getting damaged because of it. It's a bit alarming when your starting to move and then the car just stops rolling without me touching the gear stick or the clutch. No other gears have any problems.

Thanks,

suddste

Your description is a little confusing. When you say you are loosing power pulling away on a hill, do you mean the revs are going up but the car is not moving or is only just moving. If it is doing this and you are crunching the gears, your clutch probably needs replacing.

Your description is a little confusing. When you say you are loosing power pulling away on a hill, do you mean the revs are going up but the car is not moving or is only just moving. If it is doing this and you are crunching the gears, your clutch probably needs replacing.

The revs seem the same, in reverse gear only, when I started to reverse the car started to roll like normal and then just lost power, revs seemed the same, it just seemed as the gear has been pulled out, even when the stick was in the same place. Usually reverse gear goes in fine, but sometimes it doesnt and when it doesnt this happens. It's the best I can explain really!

no noise when this happens?

If you hold the gear lever in place when trying it...does it still do it?

Piggy

no noise when this happens?

If you hold the gear lever in place when trying it...does it still do it?

Piggy

Doesnt seem to be noise when doing it, no, there was a small bang when it lost power, but I guess thats just because the gear slipped out or something. Haven't tried holding the gear in when doing it, wouldn't like to since I might be damaging something, and probably wont be able to for a while, it's only happened twice in 6 months. When putting it in reverse it did seem "spongy" when putting it in.

that spongy thing is just ford...all my fords have done that...

but if its a small bang just before you lose power thats the gear jumping out...again that is something that happens with the ford reverse if its not 100% engaged.

I teach in a fiesta with 30k on the clock...its always been difficult to get into reverse and often a pupil thinks is right in there and go to move, its just starts then jumps out and no go.

I personally wouldnt worry unless it keeps happening again and again...unless anyone else has had it or knows of anything else it could be!?

Piggy

that spongy thing is just ford...all my fords have done that...

but if its a small bang just before you lose power thats the gear jumping out...again that is something that happens with the ford reverse if its not 100% engaged.

I teach in a fiesta with 30k on the clock...its always been difficult to get into reverse and often a pupil thinks is right in there and go to move, its just starts then jumps out and no go.

I personally wouldnt worry unless it keeps happening again and again...unless anyone else has had it or knows of anything else it could be!?

Piggy

ah yeah thanks, aslong as it's not damaging anything

thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club