Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk4 Flickering Handbrake/warning Light

dave1814

Hi guys,

Quick question, hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Basically, the handbrake light on the dash comes on intermittently if I...

brake hard

go down steep hills

go over speed bumps / pot holes

I've had a look in the manual which states to check the brake fluid, which I have and it’s fine. It does mention something about a brake circuit error, not sure what that means???

Not sure if it’s related but my brakes seems to be sticking as well when the car is stood for a while.

cheers!

Dave

Hi guys,

Quick question, hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Basically, the handbrake light on the dash comes on intermittently if I...

brake hard

go down steep hills

go over speed bumps / pot holes

I've had a look in the manual which states to check the brake fluid, which I have and it’s fine. It does mention something about a brake circuit error, not sure what that means???

Not sure if it’s related but my brakes seems to be sticking as well when the car is stood for a while.

cheers!

Dave

Top up your brake fluid, problem sorted

brakes sticking...need a service...most likely rear shoes.

it is probably a dodgy handbrake switch...its located right by the handbrake...I think its a single wire that earths when handbrake is up...check its all ok...or when engine running, handbrake off (chuck the wheels) give the area around a wiggle and see if it happens.

does sound like brake fluid tho...the sensor maybe dodgy in there too.

Piggy

I have just had the exact same problem with my mk4. Its the brake cyliders on the back leaking. This causes both the lack of fluid and the flickering light. I would suggest taking off the rear drums and taking a look. A tell tale sign is if the hand brake starts to stick.

cheers for your help guys.

yeh, ive already had a look at the switch, seems ok.

it does seem to be fluid related though, but if the brake cylinders were leaking wouldnt I see a drop in brake fluid level????

cheers,

Dave

yeah but mine was only a slight drop as a bit of oil goes a long way. Seems pretty certain thats the problem if the handbrake is sticking too.

mmm...check the cap that I believe has the sensor on it...it does take quite a drop for the light to come on usually

Piggy