Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Mass Flywheels Or Not

martinwill

Can anyone help and tell me if my focus estate has a dual mass flywheel or not.

Its a 54 reg(first registared 18/11/04) 1.8 tddi, ENGINE NO. 4L38078, varient C9DB1, version 5KFB LU.

The clutch is slipping quite badly so i intend to replace it with a kit that includes a solid flywheel if mine has the dual mass type. If it is already a solid flywheel then i need only get a standard 3 piece kit.

Its not showing signs of flywheel problems(vibration), just a smooth slip like driving an automatic !!(its done 180k)

Opinions on the solid flywheels also welcomed.

Any help appreciated.

Can anyone help and tell me if my focus estate has a dual mass flywheel or not.

Its a 54 reg(first registared 18/11/04) 1.8 tddi, ENGINE NO. 4L38078, varient C9DB1, version 5KFB LU.

The clutch is slipping quite badly so i intend to replace it with a kit that includes a solid flywheel if mine has the dual mass type. If it is already a solid flywheel then i need only get a standard 3 piece kit.

Its not showing signs of flywheel problems(vibration), just a smooth slip like driving an automatic !!(its done 180k)

Opinions on the solid flywheels also welcomed.

Any help appreciated.

Martin welcome to the forum.

well in the absence of anybody knowing for certain, your best bet is...Phone a Ford Parts department at a main dealers give them your registration number, they will be able to tell you for certain, if it has or has not.

I dont think they did have them...only the the tdci....but dont quote me on that.

Even if it does have a dual...if you go to a motor factors they can

1) tell you if your has one or not

2) offer you a kit with a solid one to replace the dual mass

Reason for 2) is that the dual mass are failing massively...and solid mass flywheels very rarely fail...so my advice, right or wrong, is get a solid replacement even if you do have a dual mass in there at the moment.

Piggy

Yes the consensus of opinion is that if you have one fail replace it with a solid one. They are suppose to iron out the vibrations that are generated in a diesel engine, that petrol engines apparently don't suffer from. Least ways that is what I'm led to believe.

There is a 3D video animation of the dual mass flywheel, it shows you what its job is in regard to what happens in the transmission of energy. I have it on my PC, I'll try and find a linky to it.

Thanks guys, according to the parts center its not a dual mass flywheel on my DI engine, saves me a few hundred quid. BONUS !.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club