Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

I had the same problems doing mine, which is where a handy head torch came in handy, and made me realise that the screw like you say is deeper and and at a different angle to what I thought aswell. I turned the steering wheel 90 degrees so I could 'lay' in the footwell and get behind and underneath it to get a better look at what I was doing, made a big difference being able to see where the screw was as opposed to feeling your way around it. Give that a try!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 GillyShack

GillyShack

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Edge 1.25
  • Year: 2011

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

This sounds fun! Haha!

#48 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

This sounds fun! Haha!

You've got a treat ahead of you mate. lol

I had the same problems doing mine, which is where a handy head torch came in handy, and made me realise that the screw like you say is deeper and and at a different angle to what I thought aswell. I turned the steering wheel 90 degrees so I could 'lay' in the footwell and get behind and underneath it to get a better look at what I was doing, made a big difference being able to see where the screw was as opposed to feeling your way around it. Give that a try!

That helped alot and the screws came out straight away once I could see them.
Now however the V didn't pop off as I thought it would. The centre of the steering wheel/horn area doesn't help as it overlaps the V.
Tried levering the V off but no luck. Beeped the flipping horn too - the neighbours must be thinking whats that kid doing now

#49 PPKing

PPKing

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

You've got a treat ahead of you mate. lol

That helped alot and the screws came out straight away once I could see them.
Now however the V didn't pop off as I thought it would. The centre of the steering wheel/horn area doesn't help as it overlaps the V.
Tried levering the V off but no luck. Beeped the flipping horn too - the neighbours must be thinking whats that kid doing now

How funny lol. Yeah the V is awkward to get off, just plenty of short sharp pulls and bending. Thought I was going to snap it but then realised it's a bit more sturdier than it looks, so just have to keep going and working with it until it comes off :) It's all fun and games!

#50 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

How funny lol. Yeah the V is awkward to get off, just plenty of short sharp pulls and bending. Thought I was going to snap it but then realised it's a bit more sturdier than it looks, so just have to keep going and working with it until it comes off :) It's all fun and games!

Ah right. I'll try again tomorrow - all new top gears on now :D

#51 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

My dad just text me saying 'body shop said dont do it. It's risky with it being plastic, appearance wise'.

What the hell.

#52 PPKing

PPKing

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

My dad just text me saying 'body shop said dont do it. It's risky with it being plastic, appearance wise'.

What the hell.

Told you not to do what mate?

#53 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

A body shop that can't spray plastic? Do they only spray metal panels on a car then and ignore the bumpers?!

Need to find yourself a real body shop!

#54 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

A body shop that can't spray plastic? Do they only spray metal panels on a car then and ignore the bumpers?!

That's exactly what I thought - what about the bumpers.

I've rang them back and said just go ahead and do it.
If its that bad I can buy second hand interior plastics - no biggy - but they made a good job with my Asian/Aussie grille inserts so fingers crossed it should be fine

#55 PPKing

PPKing

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

That's exactly what I thought - what about the bumpers.

I've rang them back and said just go ahead and do it.
If its that bad I can buy second hand interior plastics - no biggy - but they made a good job with my Asian/Aussie grille inserts so fingers crossed it should be fine

Good man :) I can't see there being a problem at all seeing as they are pretty much the same material anyway! They say how long it's going to take? Just as matter of interest, how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?

#56 MikeLangwine

MikeLangwine

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Ford fiesta style +
  • Year: 2009

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Anybody know where i could get all the interior silvers from! im stuck with the horrible basic grey which needs updating

#57 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Told you not to do what mate?

Sorry Paul, I didn't see this on my phone earlier - mustta been scrolling too quick.

Good man :) I can't see there being a problem at all seeing as they are pretty much the same material anyway! They say how long it's going to take? Just as matter of interest, how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?

I popped in tonight after work and it turns out the first bit he'd took out the bag to look at was the gear shifter surround - which to be fair is an odd material with a weird paint finish - its that weird type of metally/plastic (not actually if its metal or plastic!) pictured below.
When he looked at the rest he was fine and said oh right yeah no problem. Just reckons the shifter surround might flake etc.

Posted Image

I tried to remove the V again tonight on an empty road with no housing around, and after several more beeps of the horn I still can't get the !Removed! thing off.
Wheres the horn's fuse so I can disconnect it and try one more time?

#58 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Take the steering column surround off and it makes it easier as you have a better angle to go in at
http://fiestawiki.ne...le.php?fileId=5

#59 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Take the steering column surround off and it makes it easier as you have a better angle to go in at
http://fiestawiki.ne...le.php?fileId=5

Just checked an online manual and the horn is fuse 32 in the engine compartment fuse box - so thats coming out tomorrow so I can rip off the V in peace

#60 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well these pics aren't great - they were taken in the dark with the phones flash on so I'll get better ones on saturday in daylight, but for now, heres so far:

Posted Image

First issue - how do I get keep the secret compartment closed now that its been opened. Do i remove the little piece over the peg (pictured below), or do I glue the whole door closed?

Posted Image

Also struggled to refit the steering wheel V as the wires are so short I found it impossible to connect them back to the buttons - so the V's just sat here on my desk. (I hate the steering wheel being in darkness at night, I like the little red glow from the buttons).

Posted Image

P.s, the door handles have been refitted too. Complete finger print magnets now lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users