Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbreke Booboo

briggsy

So last week, i was taking my girlfriend to work at night, and stopped at a gas station for some petrol, When i left i drove about 3 miles and didn’t realise i still had the handbrake on, it didn’t feel any different when driving the car. The handbrake was at least 2 or 3 notches up.

Yesterday when i started the car and went to drive off, the car would not move. the handbrake was released, foot off break and on gas in 1st gear, no movement in the car, as iff the break was applied. After checking the wheels and trying again with more gas the car finally moved and a loud "snap" sound was heard, the car drove fine and the brake was working fine.

However the handbrake now feels a little loos for the first few notches, however it still holds the car on minor inclines. (haven’t had a chance to test it on a hill. (not many hills where i live.

Could i have damaged the handbrake and will i need to have something replaced?

ah bum...dont panic!

It may just be that you have worn the shoes down a bit and they need adjusting as the auto adjusters dont always work.

OR the shoe has split into two parts...the pad and the metal part holding the pad.

either way ideally you or someone you know whos handy with a manual and some kit needs to take the drums off and have a look, perhaps just a service and adjustment is needed, perhaps some new shoes.

they shouldnt be more than 30 or 40 quid...just a fidly lil job!

Piggy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club