Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus 1.6Tdci Rusting!!

Lenny

My focus was manufactured in July 2010 and its starting to rust in the boot panel,

A spot behind the rubber elbow pipe carrying the cables in to the boot panel from the roof panel, can be seen when the boot is open, ill post a picture later, only problem is where do I stand with my warranty as I’ve fitted the ST rear spoiler to the car myself, although the spoiler doesn’t tough the part affected i may have voided a warranty as I’ve modified the car outside of a ford workshop.

• Like 1

Don't sound good, is it rusting of the metal or just dirty water . Did you buy it new or second hand, just say that the spoiler was on it when you brought it, they won't know.

My focus was manufactured in July 2010 and its starting to rust in the boot panel,

A spot behind the rubber elbow pipe carrying the cables in to the boot panel from the roof panel, can be seen when the boot is open,

Lenny, you are not alone I have a 55 plate Mk2 with the exact same problem! I noticed it after buying it from a Ford Main Dealer on the 16th October 2009 [the car it's self was described in the advertisement as being "Franchise Approved"] Now when I noticed it I thought that was strange how it rusted there.

Now because visiting the dealer I bought from, is a 44 mile round trip away. I did not look forward to the "leave it with us, we will have a look at it scenario. So I thought, it being where it is, I will sort it out, because an exact match to paint finish was not the issue with me. The fact I could kill the source of the rust was the issue. Anyway when I started cutting back the paint to treat the rust, it just appeared to grow! Now that could suggest that the car had this problem from the day it was built. But being 4 years old when I bought it, I could not say for sure. Anyway I patched it up, first cleaning and then treating the affected area with "Hammerite Kurust" treatment. I've used it before, in fact I used it on my badly rusted front wheel arches [another Ford design fault on the Mk2]and it works. Known rust problems on mk2 Focus front wheel arches Honest John says Ford did a fix But of course that rust damage was not coming from behind the paint finish, it was caused by road grit grinding down the paint protection.

Coincidently the Mk1 Focus had sills made out of rust immune composite material. With the Mk2 they took a backward step in that area. Then a year after production started on the Mk2, they realised they had a problem, so from 06 builds onwards they introduced a "compromise fix" Now it would appear from early photo's of the new Mk3 they have learned their lesson and reintroduced the composite sills., first seen on the Mk1.

Anyway I digress....

So back to the problem under discussion, I treated the boot area and painted it, well I just notice the other week it is striking through again. Now that proves to me it is a build problem with the car,in that the car is rusting from the inside out. I also had to do rust remedial work around where the rubberised cable pipe enters the bulkhead of the car. Now I only decided yesterday to take the issue up with Ford customer services. Then you post the exact same problem the day after, in a car built 5 years later, how weird is that !

Photo 1: Taken late October 09, prior to remedial work.

VF010.jpg

Photo 2: Paint work cut back prior to rust cure treatment applications.

chips.jpg

When I get dressed, I'm just sat here with a thong on at the moment [only joking] I'll nip out and take some more photo's, as I'll need them as part of my communications with Ford.

ill post a picture later

Yes that would be good, a close up one and one showing the top of the rear opening bulkhead, along with the top of the door. [just so others can see exactly what the problem is.

only problem is where do I stand with my warranty as I’ve fitted the ST rear spoiler to the car myself, although the spoiler doesn’t tough the part affected i may have voided a warranty as I’ve modified the car outside of a ford workshop.

I don't think that is an issue, what you have done in no way contributed to the problem under discussion. And as I appear to have the same issue, it is not a "one off" And on that basis it is reasonable to assume many more owners out there have the same issue. I would say it indicates it is obviously a design and or build issue with the Mk2 family of Focus's

We must keep in touch in regard to how we get on when we individually contact Ford over the issue. And it will not harm our causes if we let them known we are aware of other people having the same problem on cars built five years apart. I myself would be prepared to test my case in the small claims court, if I don't get satisfaction from Ford UK. A car with a 12 year perforation warranty, breaking out in rust blisters after 4 years. And it happening to cars built five years later, showing a rust problem in less than a year after manufacture. That in an area of the vehicle not exposed to the weather, or degradation to the paint finish by road grit or stones thrown up ! I can hazard a guess in who's favour a judgement would be made.

if you fitted the spoiler youreself its a 50/50 they may just ignore the spoiler but if they are clued up they wont wether or not the spoiler effects the area in question or not they can still claim you used non ford parts and a non ford fitter to put these parts on in whech case under the terms and conditions of the warranty it will now be nil and void the best way to find out is take it in and get it looked at when fitting the spoiler you did use mastic to seal the areas where it touches the body i assume

not wanting to appear picky artscot79 mate, but as your replying to Lenny, why do you quote my post, and mine having photo's and my detailed replies :rolleyes: in them. Means peeps wanting to read the jist of the thread, have to scroll through a posting they have just read.

Be a mate and edit my content out, the flow of thread will be better for it, anybody else agree?

• Like 1

on this picture you can also see where I've treated rust forming around the hole in the bulkhead that is filled by a grommet enclosing the pipe that takes water to the rear washer jet.

bulkhead120211.jpg

This picture: is it the washer water supply pipe grommet assembly where it enters the tail gate, causing the initial paint break down. In that when the tail gate closes it has at some time in it's life been the culprit? Who knows? But actually looking at the photo, I reckon the grommet will not sit in line with the rusty area when the tail gate is closed. Possibly I should attempt to expose the rear of this metal work by removing the roof lining at the back of the cabin.

bulkheadrust120211b.jpg

Never having had the head lining of a car, could anybody who has advise me best way to go about it. And does it go back OK, and will it expose the rear of the actual metal roof or bulkhead panels, or is some form of sound proofing stuck to the actual underside of the roof?

Edit: Having just been out and had a look at the roof lining, it looks like it has to come out as one whole unit. taking plastic trim of the front and rear pillars, including the C pillars, the four grab handles, all the door openings weather proof rubber mouldings, two retaining clips pushed into the roof lining behind and above the rear seats.......in short not a small job

if you fitted the spoiler youreself its a 50/50 they may just ignore the spoiler but if they are clued up they wont wether or not the spoiler effects the area in question or not they can still claim you used non ford parts and a non ford fitter to put these parts on in whech case under the terms and conditions of the warranty it will now be nil and void the best way to find out is take it in and get it looked at when fitting the spoiler you did use mastic to seal the areas where it touches the body i assume

The ST Spoiler Ive fitted is an original Genuine ford part bought brand new from ford in the uk, sprayed by a mate and fitted by me following the instructions supplied with it, all the parts on the car are genuine ford parts, the gray area (pardon the pun) may be that Ive fitted it myself rather than paying them 390 to supply and fit it. the instructions dont specifiy to use any sealant in the fitting as it comes with sticky foam strips to bond around the spoiler, only advise was to use some locktite on the bolts.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your information Catch, shocking to hear your having the same problem i also live 40minutes away from my local dealer, who is an ignorent pig starting to wonder who got what in the scrappage deal, First noticed it 3 weeks ago when I opened the boot I saw like a snail trail of rust on the top, so I wiped it clean, don’t use the boot that often roughly 12 times since I bought the car so here it is 3 weeks later since i spotted it. only have the car since october bought it from the ford dealer direct, was a test drive model

Image0415.jpg

Image0413.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all your information Catch, shocking to hear your having the same problem i also live 40minutes away from my local dealer, who is an ignorent pig starting to wonder who got what in the scrappage deal, First noticed it 3 weeks ago when I opened the boot I saw like a snail trail of rust on the top, so I wiped it clean, don't use the boot that often roughly 12 times since I bought the car so here it is 3 weeks later since i spotted it. only have the car since october bought it from the ford dealer direct, was a test drive model

Image0415.jpg

Image0413.jpg

looking at the pictures youve posted ide have to agree on a build fault my almost 10 yr old mk1 doesnt have rust in these locations to remove the roof panel is involved ive done it once and it was a pain in the rear i would take it back to ford those locations have nothing to do with the spoiler or fitting it seems to be where the water pools posibly untreated or not properly painted

artscot79,

you have fricking gone and done it again brickwall.gif this double posting of image posts doesn't half make reading the thread a ball ache.

Lenny, any chance of a couple of brighter lit, higher resolution photo's of the damage? My photo's were taken with a 6 mega pixel camera.

Reason I'm asking is this, I'm going to contact Ford UK. I ain't wasting my time with a main dealer who because they cannot be bothered will just come up with all sorts of reasons why it ain't their problem. No, I'm going to approach Ford, and put the argument to them that it is a build issue. An issue that has been there from day one on the Mk2/2.5 models. And indeed it was still there right up to the last build of the Mk2.5 model. And to do that I need to send them clear crisp photo's that will stand up to being magnified under inspection.

Getting Ford UK to accept it is a build quality issue is the way to go IMHO. Because unless they do, your local main dealer ain't going to do the work because he will not be able to bill Ford UK for rectifying the problem.

I have taken on all sorts of manufactures, or suppliers that produce faulty components/ goods/ services and have not lost a complaint yet. And I'll tell you this, it's the first initial contact that is important, you have to present them with evidence that stands up to scrutiny. At the same time in this particular instance impressing on them you are aware of other owners with the same problem in the exact same area.

Because what your actually attempting to do in your first communique. Is making sure the email opener who first reads your complaint passes it up the food chain to somebody who has the authority to up hold your complaint. Other wise you will just get the stock reply, you will have to take it up with the dealer who sold you the vehicle.

I'll be honest here, you do have a better chance of getting it sorted at dealer level, better than me as my car is over five years old now, hence I'm not even contemplating the dealer option.And that being the case I want to use photo's of you fault when I present my complaint to Ford UK. And besides if you take it to a dealer, they may just blow it over, not actually remedy the problem. Then your back in a year eighteen months time with the same problem. So best go to Ford UK directly and get them to admit it's a build problem IMHO.

artscot79,

you have fricking gone and done it again brickwall.gif this double posting of image posts doesn't half make reading the thread a ball ache.

Lenny, any chance of a couple of brighter lit, higher resolution photo's of the damage? My photo's were taken with a 6 mega pixel camera.

Sorry mate,

Ive only got my Nokia Phone 2.5Mega Pixle, also dont know if theirs a ford ireland but as far as im aware their all imported directly from the uk if you need any further information or if i can be of further assistance contact me,

im more in favour of reporting it to ford and getting my local panel beather to repair the rust as i would feel more confident that the rust was actualy repaired rather than a skim of paint on to cover it until warrenty expires as their a shower of !Removed!'s in my local dealership, sales man had an attitude with me straight away. which got worse when i told him i would buy my accessories from foed uk as their cheaper and post to my address cheaper than two 45minute trips to his garage.

• 1 month later...

well, mine has been in for repair and picking it up for repair tomorrow or monday, under warranty.

keep you updated on repair

• 3 weeks later...

artscot79,

Getting Ford UK to accept it is a build quality issue is the way to go IMHO. Because unless they do, your local main dealer ain't going to do the work because he will not be able to bill Ford UK for rectifying the problem.

I have taken on all sorts of manufactures, or suppliers that produce faulty components/ goods/ services and have not lost a complaint yet. Then your back in a year eighteen months time with the same problem. So best go to Ford UK directly and get them to admit it's a build problem IMHO.

Went to ford about it, but not letting them repair it, going to professional sprayer myself costing 30euro but I’ll know it’s done proper as its being paid for and not a quick skim of paint by ford to shut me up and cover the rust till warranty expires,

Also found the root cause of the problem

The rubber pipe is too long and the elbow created when the boot is closed, is rubbing off the body work causing the pain to wear and moisture to be trapped between the pipe and the body, so bought a cable tie and a sticky back pad in halfrauds done the trick, no more wearing and the pressure from the rear water jet isn’t affected woo hoo case solved. :)

• Like 1

So what was the verdict on getting this done under warrenty?? I read this post a couple of weeks ago then forgot about it until I opened my boot over the weekend and guess what... little patch of rust in the same place on my 2009 1.6 tdci...

Bought 2 months ago from a used car dealer (non-Ford) but it still is in the warrenty period.

So what was the verdict on getting this done under warrenty?? I read this post a couple of weeks ago then forgot about it until I opened my boot over the weekend and guess what... little patch of rust in the same place on my 2009 1.6 tdci...

Bought 2 months ago from a used car dealer (non-Ford) but it still is in the warrenty period.

They were willing to have it repaired by their local spray garage,

but in my opinion they (Ford) will go for the cheapest quick fix job possible, to satisfy us and keep the show room quiet, as its dead money their spending all ford want is to sell, sell, sell, they don’t care about the aftercare unless were paying for it, I’d rather take mine to a sprayer who I know is good and is being paid by me to do the purpose job,

So since he’s being paid to solve the problem he will take the time needed to sand it down and re-spray it properly preventing any chance of rust creep beneath the surface

But I must add that the problem will happen again if not done as following picture:

Image0462.jpg

The smallest Cable tie possible and a sticky back pad with holes to loop tie wrap through, i have a set left if you want it PM me your details and i will post for free. Only 1 set available by me.

Image0464.jpg

• Like 1

Come on Daryll.

get of your butt and post a picture of your problem :P ;) Both Lenny and I have made the effort [for the benefit of others] That way anybody else wanting to confront Ford with this obvious design fault, has the evidence of other Foci with the same problem. Saves time them bullshitting the complainant that its a one off and not their [Fords] problem. Besides Lenny's picture was crap :D

Lenny I agree with you what the problem is, and like you have decided to fix it myself, for the reasons you gave in regard to possibly them just doing a cosmetic job. I've expanded the area until I hit virgin metal. As rust creeps under the paint finish, dependent when remedial action is taken dictates how big an area that is. In my case on a 5.5 year old car it means the rust creep would be more than yours or Daryll's.

Now I treated and applied finish coats a couple of weeks back. And at the time I decided like [yourself] to remove the cause of the problem all be it in a different way. I cut a rectangle of what can best be described as a rubber compound. It was an off cut to a garage door leaf/draft excluder I had fitted a couple of years back. I very rarely throw anything away that at the time I think "that might just come in handy" And the wife has the nerve to call such stuff junk..........women what are they like.......if they cannot smear it on their skin or wear it...its rubbish :rolleyes:

Anyway I've been letting the repaired area harden before super gluing it to the bulkhead, just in case of a possibility of there being a chemical reaction that broke down the paint finish if it was not fully cured. So no picture fitted but here it is

rubberpad.jpg

Edit: As it looks massive in the photo, I'll add the rubber patch measurements. They are 35mmm x 20mm, which is way bigger then what I exposed length wise. I'm going to glue it on the short edges and the top edge, on old hardened paintwork. Leaving the bottom unglued in case water does some how creep in from the top. I'm expecting the top and side seals to be water proof, but you never know.

Oh the rubber pad is 2.30mm thick......I measured it with my digital tyre tread depth gauge :ph34r:

• Like 1

Come on Daryll.

get of your butt and post a picture of your problem :P ;) Both Lenny and I have made the effort [for the benefit of others] That way anybody else wanting to confront Ford with this obvious design fault, has the evidence of other Foci with the same problem. Saves time them bullshitting the complainant that its a one off and not their [Fords] problem. Besides Lenny's picture was crap :D

Lenny I agree with you what the problem is, and like you have decided to fix it myself, for the reasons you gave in regard to possibly them just doing a cosmetic job. I've expanded the area until I hit virgin metal. As rust creeps under the paint finish, dependent when remedial action is taken dictates how big an area that is. In my case on a 5.5 year old car it means the rust creep would be more than yours or Daryll's.

Totally agree with catch on this subject daryll , with 3 of us now experiencing the same defect ford can’t say no to you, if they do e-mail them a link to this topic, my car has now got 22,000km on it manufactured June 2010 and the problem is well under way, report it to ford even if you decide to pay for it to be done yourself rather than letting ford do it, as you will bring it to the attention of the garage and potentially help other focus owners who may not be members of any forum and not know that this is a common fault. As ford will begin to see a trend.

special thanks to catch for assisting with spreading the awareness of this problem, there is also clear film used to prevent stone chips on bumpers may be possible to buy in small quantity’s

I have noticed the other day just above my reg plate and behind slightly my boot is starting to rust with little dots of rust are starting to appear and it is a 2007 model on reading this I shall be contacting ford on this matter

Just so Daryll does not think I'm picking on him ;).............I see "top banana" did not come back with his feed back as promised :rolleyes:

In regard to my motor, when I did the fix, applying Kurust rust curing treatment. I did two coats of this within the hour, then three hours to let it cure, before applying undercoat filler [as per instructions ] Then left 24 hours [as per instructions] before applying colour coats. And a few days later I applied a couple of coats of lacquer.

During all these applications, I left the boot lid open for at least 4 hours [with the boot lamp removed] So the applications which would not have hardened, were not subjected to stress by the offending rubber pipe configuration. And when I did eventually close the boot lid and used the car, I temporarily fixed that rubber pad I had made with some black UPVC electrical tape applied to the upper edge of the pad [flap like]

In fact I've had a re think since my last post, and I've decided to re a fix it as above. That way whilst relieving the stress of that pipe on the paint work [as I think it's that raised leading edge of the grommet where it is welded to the length of pipe, that does the damage]

OK I accept that to some peeps it will sound like a lot of faffing about. But this way I will be able to lift the flap 14 months down the road and see if rust is breaking through from behind the fix. As it did last time I did a quick rushed fix. I'm just the kind of guy who wants conclusive proof as to what is happening. For instance, peeps catching it early might have better results than people like me who buy a motor four years old, and the rust has had all that time to eat it's way into the bulkhead.

Of course Lenny's way, using a fixing to pull the offending joint back from the paint finish will achieve the same results as my pad.

• Like 1

well, mine has been in for repair and picking it up for repair tomorrow or monday, under warranty.

keep you updated on repair

sorry for not replying sooner, bad family things going on.

well, car was at the Ford bodyshop for 2 days, and the rear panel where the rust was has been resprayed, but Ford also supplied the bodyshop with the stonechip protection sheet to stick to the area where the rust was. Hmmm so they are aware of the issue then, as the supplied a remidial part to prevent from happening again??!!

all seems good nearly 1 month on. Mine was the 2nd car they had in for this fault in March#!

Hope the family issues get sorted soon mate.

And I hope you did not mind the tongue in check ribbing I give you. And thanks for the feed back, out of interest how big was the stone chip protection sheet they supplied to the spray shop? A photo of same in situ would be even better, or has it been blended into the body work and sprayed over to be nigh on invisible.

• Like 1

My Focus has done the exact same thing. Think I'll need to ring Ford in the morning. My thrust bearing in the gearbox also lets out a yelp when cold so will have to ask them about that too I guess.

• Like 1

ok, I intended to take a pic, but never got around to it... now you've shamed me into it..!

<_<

Mine isn't as big as you guys :unsure: but its there, in the same place. also, my washer pipe seems to be stretched pretty tight, so I'm not sure I could use the cable tie method.

post-19761-0-06270800-1302888967_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yours and Lenny's are about the same size, mine being a 55 plate, build date October 2005, just shows you how the rust spreads if it is not remedied.

So just on our forum we have found the same fault in 05 build [start of the Mk2 model] in 07, 08, 09 and 2010 build vehicles....right up until the last Mk2.5 rolls off the production line

We now have conclusive proof that it is a design flaw or production line flaw that was designed into the original Mk2 Focus in 2005 and Ford have ignored it for five years, and the flaw will been in the very last Mk2.5 model that rolls of the production line.

FORD MANAGEMENT, YOUR A SHOWER OF SH@T THE LOT OF YOU

• Like 1

We now have conclusive proof that it is a design flaw or production line flaw that was designed into the original Mk2 Focus in 2005 and Ford have ignored it for five years, and the flaw will been in the very last Mk2.5 model that rolls of the production line.

Couldn’t agree more Catch,

And also my camera really is SH*t mate because on a close inspection my model has the anti scratch pad fitted by ford, to be honest I nearly removed it with a wipe of a cloth lol to make things worse its too small to cover the whole area and didn’t even prevent mine from happening, what can i say they made an error in manufacture and their corrective action isn’t even big enough to cover the area at risk,more of a reason why im paying to get mine repared privatly as ford messed up creating the problem and ther corrective action to prevent this problem isint working neither, :angry:

But what can we expect from a company owned by BP

Image0414j.jpg