Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus 1.6Tdci Rusting!!

Lenny

Mine isn't as big as you guys :unsure: but its there, in the same place. also, my washer pipe seems to be stretched pretty tight, so I'm not sure I could use the cable tie method.

sorry to inform but your rust patch is bigger than mine mate, my advise would be as soon as you can, get some wd-40 or similar and rub it in circular motions over the area this will cause a film of oil to form on the surface preventing moisture from entering and rusting further, water will pearl in droplets on top of oil,

I thought the same about my pipe but was fine I will measure the length of the pipe in the morning and let you compare if yours is the same length, still have the pad and cable tie if you want them send me a mail with your address and ill post them to you free of charge mate. It seems I can confidently say it’s better than fords solution to the problem :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I read this post and checked my car (2009), sure enough there were marks where the cable was rubbing and had almost gone through the paint. I have stuck a patch of 3M adhesive tape over the area to stop the rubbing against the bodywork and will keep an eye on it.

Just checked mine (Focus Zetec 2009, 59 reg) and dads (Focus Zetec 2010, 10 reg). Mine has no pad on and you can see black marks were the pipe is rubbing. There is no rust yet. Dads has the pad with very slight black marks from the rubbing. I'm taking mine in on Wednesday for rear parking sensors, so will ask them if there is a known issue and what they suggest.

I have noticed the other day just above my reg plate and behind slightly my boot is starting to rust with little dots of rust are starting to appear and it is a 2007 model on reading this I shall be contacting ford on this matter

When you say little dots of rust, do you mean very tiny dots. Are they all over the car? Look quite close to the paint work. Is it a light coloured car, white? If so this could be inudstrial fallout/raildust. Nothing the dealer can do as it is not a fault on there end. If it is inudustrial fallout, clay baring the car gets it out.

hi guys, my old Focus ST (2006) had the exact same problem, i noticed it about a month ago but as i recently part exchanged the ST for a 2010 tdci i didn't bother doing anything about it. I've checked my new focus and there is a pad in place, was this pad fitted at production or later? i'm just curious as to remove it and check underneath to see if it covering anything that shouldn't be there, hmmmm

I've checked my new focus and there is a pad in place, was this pad fitted at production or later? i'm just curious as to remove it and check underneath to see if it covering anything that shouldn't be there, hmmmm

You want forum posters to just guess if anything lurks behind this pad?

If that's the case hang on

.....tosses coin.....heads....

fitted at production. :D

I'd assume it's doing it's job until proved otherwise.

i did not specifically mean the pad on my car, but more of general question, did ford realise this was an issue and start adding the pads onto the cars which had already gone thru production but before they were initially sold?

Ah I see what you mean.

Well assuming you have read the thread in full, I think you will see it points to the fact that the pad [call it what you may] is fitted prior to the car leaving the production facility, in that it is a fix for a known problem. In manufacturing the need to rectify a design fault usually takes the course of least cost.....hence the pad.

i thought that may have been the case, nothing like doing summat on the cheap, hey we'll cover it with summat sticky lol i'll leave mine in place and let it do its job :)

Just an update on the 'problem' of the rubbing I had. After reading this thread I had checked mine and my dads cars. Mine a Focus Zetec S 1.8 59 reg and my dads a Focus Zetec S 1.6 10 reg. My dads had already had a 'patch' installed which must have come from the production line I'm guessing as it is the same as the ones in these photos. Mine never had any and thus the pipe had been rubbing which had left slight black marks (no rusting). So when I took it in for reversing sensors I mentioned it to them and they were going to have a look. When I went to pick the car up they said there wasn't much they could do as there was no rust (all though I don't think he was trying to fob me off, I think he was going to suggest the film if I had not said anything anyway) and I pointed out a prevention of the rust is better than just letting it start to rust and then bringing it in so they could deal with it under warranty. They also had known about the problem as they had stuck some plastic type clear film over the area to stop the rubbing on the paintwork on other cars before. So they offered to give me some film that I could cut down to size and fit myself.

i thought Ford may have improved their paintwork over the years, all their cars rust after a short amount of time, my dads started shortly after getting it, so did my mums, my old 06 ST started, hope my new focus doesn't (i'm from a Ford family lol) my gf's T reg VW Polo, not a speck of rust to be seen on the body work, think Ford should take note!!! if they got their paintwork sorted it would finish their cars off nicely!

• 10 months later...

"They were willing to have it repaired by their local spray garage,

but in my opinion they (Ford) will go for the cheapest quick fix job possible, to satisfy us and keep the show room quiet, as its dead money their spending all ford want is to sell, sell, sell, they don’t care about the aftercare unless were paying for it, I’d rather take mine to a sprayer who I know is good and is being paid by me to do the purpose job,

So since he’s being paid to solve the problem he will take the time needed to sand it down and re-spray it properly preventing any chance of rust creep beneath the surface

The smallest Cable tie possible and a sticky back pad with holes to loop tie wrap through, i have a set left if you want it PM me your details and i will post for free...."

Can i ask where you got the sticky back pads from?

The smallest Cable tie possible and a sticky back pad with holes to loop tie wrap through, i have a set left if you want it PM me your details and i will post for free...."

Can i ask where you got the sticky back pads from?

i bought them from here mate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRONG-DOUBLE-SIDED-STICKY-PADS-SUIT-ALL-AREAS-/110830912979?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19ce0985d3

but they have come apart in the last couple of weeks, with all the opening and closing of the boot door,

so im going to purchase some anti-chip film instead

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-paint-protection-film-1M-X-15cm-protect-chips-scuffs-bonnet-bra-/220925776790?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item337033d396

Will check mine later today as I think my car is the same model and year as Lennys , Am I right in thinking that the area to look for any rust marks is just under the spoiler area on the inside of the car when opening the boot?

Thanks

Will check mine later today as I think my car is the same model and year as Lennys , Am I right in thinking that the area to look for any rust marks is just under the spoiler area on the inside of the car when opening the boot?

Thanks

yes mate,

its the flat panel that faces you when you open the boot,

not part of the boot door,

its the roof of the car where the pipe elbows and rubs off the roof section.

Image1451-1.jpg

Thanks

You know thinking about it, mine is rusting there also. Are ford taking this seriously, or is it basically up to us to fix? Mines a 2006 model.

You know thinking about it, mine is rusting there also. Are ford taking this seriously, or is it basically up to us to fix? Mines a 2006 model.

for piece of mind i fixed my own mate,

it is a fault with all mk2 and mk2.5 models mate so they do know about it and they put a clear patch on the 2008-2010 models where they thought the pipe would rub the body but in my case the put it in the wrong place, and mine started to rub beside the patch rather than on it,

Image0414j.jpg

thanks for that pic Lenny , will have a look later and report back!

thanks for that pic Lenny , will have a look later and report back!

no probs mate,

best advise i can give anyone regarding this is even if their is no sign of rust or scuffing, id still cover it with anti chip film because it is a known fault in design and likely to happen in the future,

another known fault is the seal around the bolts, that hold the rear spoiler on to the car, can deteriorate with age and allow water to leak in to the boot, so i have done some preventive action when fitting my ST rear spoiler and i put some silicone around the bolt holes prior to bolting the spoiler in to place.

overall though the mk2 and mk2.5 focus are fantastic cars, and even better now that we know about the little flaws in design so we can do our best to keep it a great motor. and perhaps an edge over others when it comes to resale because others may not have treated the effected area on theirs resulting in rust creep and blistering under the paint.

Thanks lenny. Will have a look in a bit for that antichip film, see if its fitted already. Looks like ive got some preventitive work to do....

Well here is the "no cost" fix I decided on, the logic being, why spend money on a fix on a 6/7 year old car . In an area of the car that will only be seen when the boot is open....for on averages 4/5 seconds at that.

Fix was, clean and "cure" the rust, over paint, leave a month or so then I super glued a piece of rubber I had cut off a garage door draft/leaf seal, when I was fitting it four years ago.........I knew it would come in handy for something :D

Oh, and I smeared that wonder product silicone "GREASE" around the edges of the pad prior to offering it up to the bulkhead. Now if for some reason it continues to rust behind that pad..........well the plan is, I'll be moving it on circa mid 2014. And I very much doubt it will have ate it's way around that fix by then. :rolleyes:

bootpad2.jpg

Interestingly you will see by the photo that it rained during the night, and water appears to get trapped between the pipe and the bulkhead whilst the boot is closed And this folks is why I reckon it rusts in the first place......pipe over time [and not a long period of time at that going by the registrations mentioned in this thread] wears the protective paint off and the rust sets in.

just checked mine ,cant say I notice any rust , I can see a little scratch plate like you mentioned.

One thing I notice is that on that picture you posted Lenny and the one above, that one of the pipes has a plastic type tube and the pipe on the right has no cover?

On mine I have the ribbed casing on both?

Had a proper look this aft, and although this area was covered in crap, (never even thought of cleaning this area :unsure: :unsure: ) There did appear to be a mark where the washer hose would rub. Gave it a good clean, and of course there is a small rust spot there. I will follow catch's advice and clean this up. Will probably brush some of that rust convertor stuff on, and then overpaint, maybe with some hammerite, and then put a rubber patch over.

post-4199-0-17359300-1332104348_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-95401000-1332104359_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-61080400-1332104372_thumb.jp

post-4199-0-03250300-1332104385_thumb.jp

Wow, I read a lot about rusting Fords but never about rust in this particular place. Checked my 2006 estate - this area is clean (car was washed few days ago) and free of any marks, not even black marks of rubbing washer hose. I will not place any rubber there, rather some protective film, just in case ;)

Pidu, maybe it's a case of you having an estate, and therefore there are differences in the structure of the tailgate opening, meaning estates don't suffer from this problem?

More feed back by other Focus estate owners posting on the thread could maybe point to that being the case or not.

Chris, just a heads up on my experiences regards this issue. I first attempted a paint only fix on this around September 2010. You can see in post number six of this thread, a photo showing the rust breaking through the over painted area again. :angry:

So with Lenny bringing up the issue again, I decided to give it another look at. And I considered that the possible failure of the original attempted fix may have been that I did not expose enough of the affected area.

You know how it is, your tempted to keep the area of repair as small as possible. When in fact all the cosmetic work you do to cover up the fix will be a waste of time and effort if you do not expose and kill all the rust at the early stages of the repair process. So think on, cut back the paint until you have a "fire break" of clean metal between the rusted area and the original paint finish.

A good thing I have found that works, is to photograph the expose effected area. Then download it to your PC, and then use the computers magnifying tool on the photo. I now do this before and after applying the rust curing product I use. And always best to do two applications of the latter as per the manufactures instructions........secret is do not rush this part of the rust fixing procedure.

Oh another tip, after the second repaint job, I thought it better to protect the affected area whilst giving the new paint finish time to harden prior to securing the protective rubber patch. So to this end a day after over painting, I just temporarily fixed the top edge the rubber patch to the bulkhead with black insulation tape. Doing this means you can just lift the patch up anytime you want to check if any rust is attempting to break through again. And you know what it blends in and you will tend to forget about it, I did and as such did not get around to permanently superglue the patch for another six months or so circa October 2011