Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Wheels Squeaking

rkjames1985

Evening all,

I'll hold my hands up and be the first to admit I know nothing about cars at all. I've got a 2009 Fiesta Zetec which I love. However, in the last day or so, the front wheels (I think mainly the passenger side) have started to squeak at speeds up to 30 mph. Over this, no squeak, and whilst braking, no squeak. It sounds like a rotary kind of squeak (if that makes sense).

Any idea's?

Evening all,

I'll hold my hands up and be the first to admit I know nothing about cars at all. I've got a 2009 Fiesta Zetec which I love. However, in the last day or so, the front wheels (I think mainly the passenger side) have started to squeak at speeds up to 30 mph. Over this, no squeak, and whilst braking, no squeak. It sounds like a rotary kind of squeak (if that makes sense).

Any idea's?

may be worh having your brake pads checked,

does it pull to the side (either left or right) under heavy braking, if yes then one pad is worn more than the other pads should always be replaced in pairs.

cost around £10 pounds to get it checked in local garage most likly brake pads sticking squeeks at low momentum but as speed increases starts to get hot,

or stone trapped between disk and pad have a look at your disk, through the spokes in your alloy should be smooth like a CD, if theirs a groove its probably a stone.

Mine has got the same problem but its not covered by warranty so im not paying to get it fixed. As Lenny says, the brake pads may need replaced or they may be rubbing against the disks.

you need to be carefull where your breaks are checked. I had once free break check and they told me that front pads needs to be replaced. Then I went somewhere else for cheaper quote and it turned out they dont need to be replaced at all. It was Nationwide Autocentre in Evesham (West Midlands) -> avoid.

The reason I didn't think it was brakes is because when they are applied, and over 30 mph, the is no squeak.

I'm going to give the Ford dealership a call, its still under warranty there. I'll let you know what they find.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'll be interested to hear if they find what it is, as mine also squeaks at the front from time to time at very low speeds. :angry:

I will let you know.

Annoying, I called Ford yesterday and they have got me in for next Wednesday, however since I've done that, I've not had the squeak. Even driven a bit further than I normally do on the way back from work and the gym to see if the was anything, and the was nothing at all.

Hd exactly the same problem, was advised by someone in here to do a controlled emergency stop at say about 30 mph, said it was probably the breaks binding. Tried it have not had a squeak since!

Annoying, I called Ford yesterday and they have got me in for next Wednesday, however since I've done that, I've not had the squeak. Even driven a bit further than I normally do on the way back from work and the gym to see if the was anything, and the was nothing at all.

Rest assured .it'll be back, mine is also pretty random,some days on a 12 mile drive to work it'll be squeal from the off (most days mad.gif) and others maybe just the odd one or twice rolleyes.gif

cant wait for its service ,so someone can sort it ,any mph from 5 to 40 really. I read about the sharp brake solution, tried it but problem still persists dog nabbit !!

• 2 weeks later...

It went into Ford last week and it is the brakes, however not because of driving style.

This is what they told me. Ford changed the design of the brake pads because they had previous contained asbestos, so the material that they have placed in the new pads is a harder substance, and the squeaking has only just come to light in the last few months. These brakes are perfectly safe, so you are safe using them still, and which is why they've not recalled the vehicles as it is not affecting the cars safety. However, they have redesigned the pads with a different substance which should stop the squeaking. They wanted £150 for these to be fitted. With them being safe, I could not justify this cost (especially before pay day). I had to pay a £75 diagnostic fee. They did say if I had the work done, they would waver the diagnostic fee.

I'm figuring what my next step is going to be. Honestly, since they looked at them last week, they hadn't squeaked at all until today. Even today, it wasn't as bad as it can be. However, their service centre admitted that this was a design flaw, and whilst its not affecting the safety of the vehicle, the enjoyment from driving when that squeak occurs drops dramatically.

Thoughts?

i keep gettin a noise from my front end when steering myself... its in wednesday so yeah if they some back with anything about it will put something up too cos i dont quite think my noise is break related

i keep gettin a noise from my front end when steering myself... its in wednesday so yeah if they some back with anything about it will put something up too cos i dont quite think my noise is break related

I didn't think that either. In fact, when I brake, it stops squeaking.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring back on old thread but:

Ive had this problem its been in but mines only on lock. The technician said the brake pad design is flawed and they rub from time to time but its not unsafe and it doesnt really harm fuel economy to the point where the cost can be justified as it doesnt happen in normal driving he just said that when the pads are worn and need replacing to get the new ones fitted not the old ones.

I have however got steering wheel wobble which it has been in for once (at the same time) and theyve checked everything and cant find why its doing it. Theyve checked and rectified bad balancing, CV joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, tracking, tyres (for flat spots as its only at 60mph plus) and they said they simply cant find a fix for it has anyone else had this issue?

Ford changed the design of the brake pads because they had previous contained asbestos

Ford haven't used asbestos-containing brake pads in europe since model year 1996, and were one of the first automakers to phase it out.

• 4 months later...

My 2yr old Fiesta has 18000m on the clock and has just started having an occasional, low speed squeak a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the local dealer last week and it didn't make a sound (!) nor could they see any fault after they say they put it up on a ramp.

Sorry to say that it started squeaking again tonight when I was driving in 1st gear, in rush hour, traffic tonight just after I got off the motorway... It sounded like someone pushing a rusty wheelbarrow but stopped when I changed up gears. I'll be looking to take it back to the garage again but would appreciate any insight that other owners may have to help me get it sorted.

Warped discs?

Grit on braking surface?

Dry bearings?

Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2yr old Fiesta has 18000m on the clock and has just started having an occasional, low speed squeak a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the local dealer last week and it didn't make a sound (!) nor could they see any fault after they say they put it up on a ramp.

Sorry to say that it started squeaking again tonight when I was driving in 1st gear, in rush hour, traffic tonight just after I got off the motorway... It sounded like someone pushing a rusty wheelbarrow but stopped when I changed up gears. I'll be looking to take it back to the garage again but would appreciate any insight that other owners may have to help me get it sorted.

I have exactly the same problem with my 09 fiesta with 22000 miles. The front drivers side wheel squeels when moving along at less than 30mph. Ford say that it is a design fault with the brake pads on manufacture, so I will be going to my dealer and demanding they do the repairs under warranty as they have admitted it to be a Manufacture fault it will be covered

I have exactly the same problem with my 09 fiesta with 22000 miles. The front drivers side wheel squeels when moving along at less than 30mph. Ford say that it is a design fault with the brake pads on manufacture, so I will be going to my dealer and demanding they do the repairs under warranty as they have admitted it to be a Manufacture fault it will be covered

Mine started squeeking before Christmas, esp when crawling in traffic after leaving motorway. Was away over holidays and didn't fancy pulling pads out and cleaning in dark cold and wet January. So cost me £30 on top of 3rd service (30k miles) a few weeks ago. Been fine since so far. service report claimed pads only 20% worn? If true pads going to last 100,000= miles???

Anyway does seem Festers prone to squeeky brakes at relative low miles just like prone to bent wheels.