56 replies to this topic

#1 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

help.
i have 2010 1.8 zetec [petrol] and when i start the engine and drive away at about 12mph a clunk is heard from under the car , this only happens the once untill i turn the engine off. but as soon as i start the engine again and drive away it will do it every time .
someone told me it was the abs system self checking but i have never heard this in a car before ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 zetec, Mark II, petrol (manu 56 reg)

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Check that the a/c is not on. There is a thud on mine when the A/c kicks in

#3 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

Check that the a/c is not on. There is a thud on mine when the A/c kicks in

#4 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

yes i did check the air con ..but its not that ..like i said it only does it on start up and when the car reaches about 12mph and not again ..

#5 BIGGSY

BIGGSY

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 petrol 125

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hey, i have just recieved my 2010 ford focus 1.8 zetec from the ford garage after an engine repair. I had the same problem hearing the clunk after starting and reaching 12MPH, and they said that it was just the ABS running a test and is nothing to worry about

chris

#6 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hey, i have just recieved my 2010 ford focus 1.8 zetec from the ford garage after an engine repair. I had the same problem hearing the clunk after starting and reaching 12MPH, and they said that it was just the ABS running a test and is nothing to worry about

chris

#7 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

hi and thanks chris .
yes i have just been to the local ford agent here on anglesey ..they said much the same thing to me that it was the ABS self testing and there was nothing wrong ..i wasnt happy about this and phoned up ford direct from the agents and spoke to a engineer there ..he confirmed that it did happen on some cars and not on others and that there was plans to recall them ..i am still not happy about it and told him so and feel that there should be a recall on the cars that have this problem , because what ever they say it is not right to hear this noise.. plenty of mechanics have told me that .

#8 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,914 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Depends what the ABS test is I suppose. If the ECU is kicking out more power than it should, then I can understand. Does it make any grind noise or would you liken it to driving over a bottle? i.e. when you drive over a plastic bottle and catch the neck, it flips up and wacks the underside of the car? if so that certainly isnt right, but on the basis Ford are even considering recalling these cars, its certainly worth a trip to the dealer, and writing a letter to the customer service department advising them of this information provided by one of their own engineers.

If you have that in writing it would be even better as they couldnt then breach it, it could be taken literally and Ford would have to oversee that even if it is just your car.

Does the car appear to brake at all once the clunk is heard? if so then there is definately a signal being thrown to the ABS, correctly or otherwise, if not, then I dont see what part of the ABS would make a clunk noise! The pump certainly shouldnt, and unless they started putting stones into the ABS fluid, that shouldnt make that noise!

Although I dont own the MK3 model, it will certainly be interesting to see how this pans out...

#9 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,476 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

All Focus's do the clunking thing at 12mph. It is defo the ABS or Traction Control switching on. My Mondeo and my Puma used to do it. Im pretty sure muy old Mazda used to do it as well.

#10 Binsey

Binsey

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

All very intersting posts if there are lot of cars that are doing it why have I not been able to locate it with a google search, surely if it is common there would be loads of discusions about it.
I have a ford direct 09 1.8 Zetec diesel that does the same thing.I am taking it in for its first service Friday, So I wil let you know what they say.

Cheers Dave

#11 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

All very intersting posts if there are lot of cars that are doing it why have I not been able to locate it with a google search, surely if it is common there would be loads of discusions about it.
I have a ford direct 09 1.8 Zetec diesel that does the same thing.I am taking it in for its first service Friday, So I wil let you know what they say.

Cheers Dave

hi dave
yes i would be interested to hear what they say but they insist that there is nothing wrong [ford uk] but why then the "clunk" at 12 mph

#12 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

Depends what the ABS test is I suppose. If the ECU is kicking out more power than it should, then I can understand. Does it make any grind noise or would you liken it to driving over a bottle? i.e. when you drive over a plastic bottle and catch the neck, it flips up and wacks the underside of the car? if so that certainly isnt right, but on the basis Ford are even considering recalling these cars, its certainly worth a trip to the dealer, and writing a letter to the customer service department advising them of this information provided by one of their own engineers.

If you have that in writing it would be even better as they couldnt then breach it, it could be taken literally and Ford would have to oversee that even if it is just your car.

Does the car appear to brake at all once the clunk is heard? if so then there is definately a signal being thrown to the ABS, correctly or otherwise, if not, then I dont see what part of the ABS would make a clunk noise! The pump certainly shouldnt, and unless they started putting stones into the ABS fluid, that shouldnt make that noise!

Although I dont own the MK3 model, it will certainly be interesting to see how this pans out...

hi
funny you saying that but i have asked ford uk for a written confirmation on this .. they say they will tell my local agent to write to me i have even spoken to the mechnic based there and he says that he as come across this before on a number of occasions and that ford say it is "normal"i am not so sure ...ok the brakes are fine.. it is just a clunk and only once after start up and moving... no grinding noise just this one "clunk" anyway we see what the letter says when it comes ...thanks for your info

#13 belknap

belknap

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

All Focus's do the clunking thing at 12mph. It is defo the ABS or Traction Control switching on. My Mondeo and my Puma used to do it. Im pretty sure muy old Mazda used to do it as well.

i have never heard this noise before on any car which is why i have pursued it with ford uk so we will wait and see what the letter says
the ford mechanic says he as come across this before but not common .

#14 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,914 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

My focus certainly doesnt clunk at any speed, even after I replaced the break pads, and reset the brakes. my ABS definately works, as I drove it around between 10 and 20 MPH and slammed the ABS into life. Either my car is broken and doesnt do the noise as it should, or it doesnt affect all vehicles and its possibly just an over-sensitive process that may have been setup from "birth" by the factory.

#15 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 zetec, Mark II, petrol (manu 56 reg)

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

i have got a 1.8 as well and fyi i have got drums at the rear wheels. mine does not clunk at 12mph and it is a 56 reg. does that mean it only happens on the newer ones?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users