Get Your Club gear
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

belknap

A Clunk From Under Car After Starting And Reching 12 Mph

59 posts in this topic

i have got a 1.8 as well and fyi i have got drums at the rear wheels. mine does not clunk at 12mph and it is a 56 reg. does that mean it only happens on the newer ones?

Mines 1.8 petrol 59plate with drums at the back and mine does it. Im surprised it has drums on the rear tbh

My 1.6 2010 tdci does this, but not all the time...

Same sound as when the TC kicks in so I always thought it was something to do with that. So the ABS/TC test makes sense!

Its one of those tests where dependant on weather and environment, the test will barely be noticed, other times it could feel like you just ran over the neighbors cat...

Mine normally does it while accelerating and pulling out of my driveway...

Maverick203 likes this

i had my new focus since december '13 and have heard the 'grinding' noise twice once when i pulled out of a parking bay and again when i pulled off my drive on morning both times from cold start. i can only describe the noise as the sound you get when curbing alloys. It definately comes from passenger side. this thread has sort of put my mind at ease :unsure:

Glad to be of service Maverick, its quite likely that the brakes are binding a little when it does the test, hence the additional grind as opposed to just a clunk!

Its not an all the time thing sometimes it hapoens a lot of the times it doesnt mainly i get it when its slippery or wet outside the grind is likely the pads rubbing the surface rust off the disk you kind of answered it youreself by stating it happens when pulling away after the cars been left all night youll get that as long as its wet outside

When you park up the disk is hot or warm rain etc hits it and will turn to surface rust overnight the first few dab of the brakes scrapes it away and youve got shiny disks again

Thanks everyone for sharing the forum as I have a 2010 ford focus and there's a clunking noise after you reach the 12mph and it only does it once when setting off.

Thanks everyone for sharing the forum as I have a 2010 ford focus and there's a clunking noise after you reach the 12mph and it only does it once when setting off.

If you read back the posts it's already answered...........it's the car doing an ABS/Traction Control 'self test' and normal

jeebowhite likes this