Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Clunk From Under Car After Starting And Reching 12 Mph

belknap

i have got a 1.8 as well and fyi i have got drums at the rear wheels. mine does not clunk at 12mph and it is a 56 reg. does that mean it only happens on the newer ones?

Mines 1.8 petrol 59plate with drums at the back and mine does it. Im surprised it has drums on the rear tbh

My 1.6 2010 tdci does this, but not all the time...

Same sound as when the TC kicks in so I always thought it was something to do with that. So the ABS/TC test makes sense!

Its one of those tests where dependant on weather and environment, the test will barely be noticed, other times it could feel like you just ran over the neighbors cat...

Mine normally does it while accelerating and pulling out of my driveway...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i had my new focus since december '13 and have heard the 'grinding' noise twice once when i pulled out of a parking bay and again when i pulled off my drive on morning both times from cold start. i can only describe the noise as the sound you get when curbing alloys. It definately comes from passenger side. this thread has sort of put my mind at ease :unsure:

Glad to be of service Maverick, its quite likely that the brakes are binding a little when it does the test, hence the additional grind as opposed to just a clunk!

Its not an all the time thing sometimes it hapoens a lot of the times it doesnt mainly i get it when its slippery or wet outside the grind is likely the pads rubbing the surface rust off the disk you kind of answered it youreself by stating it happens when pulling away after the cars been left all night youll get that as long as its wet outside

When you park up the disk is hot or warm rain etc hits it and will turn to surface rust overnight the first few dab of the brakes scrapes it away and youve got shiny disks again

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone for sharing the forum as I have a 2010 ford focus and there's a clunking noise after you reach the 12mph and it only does it once when setting off.

Thanks everyone for sharing the forum as I have a 2010 ford focus and there's a clunking noise after you reach the 12mph and it only does it once when setting off.

If you read back the posts it's already answered...........it's the car doing an ABS/Traction Control 'self test' and normal

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 2/22/2011 at 3:47 AM, belknap said:
On 2/22/2011 at 3:30 AM, BIGGSY said:

Hey, i have just recieved my 2010 ford focus 1.8 zetec from the ford garage after an engine repair. I had the same problem hearing the clunk after starting and reaching 12MPH, and they said that it was just the ABS running a test and is nothing to worry about

chris

2010 Ford Focus LV LX hatch here in Australia, can confirm I also hear the clunk at approx 20KM/h after pulling away for the first time after engine start.

I can actually feel the clunk in the accelerator pedal as the car starts moving 🙂

Clunk is heard regardless of how long I wait after engine start

0b7de16e647089182a2c5f1a7380a12c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1