• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geordie0962

geordie0962

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 mondeo 2ltr petrol

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

hi everyone i am a newbie to this forum.

I have a 2009 mondeo 2ltr petrol. I have been told that i need to purchase a brake wind back piston tool. This will assist me greatly in changing the brake pads when the time comes. could anyone tell me if this is correct or can the pistin just be pushed back with a g clamp type tool?.

many thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 taffg

taffg

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 2.0 zetec Mk 1

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

hi everyone i am a newbie to this forum.

I have a 2009 mondeo 2ltr petrol. I have been told that i need to purchase a brake wind back piston tool. This will assist me greatly in changing the brake pads when the time comes. could anyone tell me if this is correct or can the pistin just be pushed back with a g clamp type tool?.

many thanks

yep in an ideal woorld then you will need the wind back tool, as this will increase the gap for your new pads. ulike older style pistons where you could just push them back in, these have to be turned to screw them back in. however in my ideal world i use a large 'g' clamp to gently load the piston and i use a plumbers pliers, (large jaws) to carefully turn the piston clockwise in. you must use extreme care whilst doing this, as you can tear the seal/gaiter that surrounds the piston head. if you can get hold of a piston tool easily and cheaply, then i would go with the correct gear as a recon brake cylinder could cost you a lot more than the piston tool." you pays ya money or takes your chance". good luck anyway :)

#3 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

if you do decide to buy the wind back tool remember to get one with a righ and left handed threads as the brake pistons are right and left handed.
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...0413895#vi-desc

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users