Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 'heated' Washer Jets

.Nick.

So my Mk7 1.6 TDCi Titanium made it through the Scottish Snow but the only thing that annoyed my was the Washer Jets freezing up when it was below -3C. I've been using neat Screenwash and it only seemed to freeze at the nozzle. As an experiment, I removed the under bonnet insulation and noticed the nozzles would defrost when the engine was warm. I didn't want to leave the insutaltion off as it was a lot noiser. This gave me an idea!

Take off insulation and mark where washer jets are

DSC_0054.jpg

Pinch from work buy two of these desk cable hole tidy things

DSC_0052.jpg

Take the middle off, cut in half and sand and rough edges

DSC_0053.jpg

Crush desk cable hole tidy thing on to insulation to mark size

DSC_0055.jpg

Cut out hole - cuts quite easily

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Stick desk cable hole tidy thing into hole

DSC_0059.jpg

Turn over and glue desk cable hole tidy thing into hole. I left it under my couch to dry for a week.

DSC_0061.jpg

After a week the desk cable hole tidy things were stuck firmly in place. Back out into the cold...

DSC_0074.jpg

These holes let some of the heat from the engine get up to the nozzles and help them defrost

DSC_0067.jpg

They are inconspicuous enough that I hope no-one notices them (car has been serviced and nothing said)

Since making this alteration, the nozzles have only frozen once and after pulling over for a couple of minutes, they started working again.

Discuss.

I don’t know how effective this is but I have to say that’s really well done and looks so neat, could have been done at the factory – 10/10 from me B) :D

Yeh great job there! Wonder how many office desks will soon be missing their cable tidies :rolleyes:.

Yeh great job there! Wonder how many office desks will soon be missing their cable tidies :rolleyes:.

There are none missing from my work..... :rolleyes:

IS the insulator there to keep the engine warm or the the bonnett cooler or what?

Whats it for, my mk6 fiesta didnt have one?

Jay

Thought it was just for sound. Someone queryed me about taking mine off. I took it off and it makes no difference just tidys up the engine bay and removed tiiny bit of weight aha. So ive already inadvertantly got heated washer jets too :)

Very good idea though.

Thought it was just for sound. Someone queryed me about taking mine off. I took it off and it makes no difference just tidys up the engine bay and removed tiiny bit of weight aha. So ive already inadvertantly got heated washer jets too :)

Very good idea though.

The engine noise is a lot more in the cabin if you take the underbonnet insulation off - I could hear the turbo when I had the window down.

The insulation is probably unnecessary on Petrol engined Fiestas though.

The engine noise is a lot more in the cabin if you take the underbonnet insulation off - I could hear the turbo when I had the window down.

The insulation is probably unnecessary on Petrol engined Fiestas though.

Brilliant idea, frozen washers are inexcusable these days. I remember a device for sale years ago which you fitted into a water hose on your car and it had a sort of can around it that got hot when your car was warm . Your washer pipes ran through the can so you had very warm water coming out of your washers which was great for winter and removing flies in summer.

Why also do they usually put washer bottles in a place that is cold like in a wheel arch , rather than next to something warm in the engine bay? Heated washer bottles would be more use than some stuff fitted to cars these days!

Most of the noise on my Titanium TDCi is from tyre and road noise...I hate low profile tyres.

Brilliant idea, frozen washers are inexcusable these days. I remember a device for sale years ago which you fitted into a water hose on your car and it had a sort of can around it that got hot when your car was warm . Your washer pipes ran through the can so you had very warm water coming out of your washers which was great for winter and removing flies in summer.

Why also do they usually put washer bottles in a place that is cold like in a wheel arch , rather than next to something warm in the engine bay? Heated washer bottles would be more use than some stuff fitted to cars these days!

Most of the noise on my Titanium TDCi is from tyre and road noise...I hate low profile tyres.

That's where I got the idea! Carnoisseur used to sell them and I was going to get one for my Fiat Panda 4x4 but I sold the car before I bought it. I thought I might rig up a similar system in the Fiesta but cutting the insulation was a less invasive procedure.

I'd be happy to fit these in anyone elses car for free if they'd fit rear footwell lights in my Fiesta :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club