Red Battery Light

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#31 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

you were right about my fuel filter in the past and on other faults ive read up on so i have no reason to doubt you jee....top dog. going to get a battery regardless on monday morn and will let you know...

thanks again for all the advice folks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

you were right about my fuel filter in the past and on other faults ive read up on so i have no reason to doubt you jee....top dog. going to get a battery regardless on monday morn and will let you know...

thanks again for all the advice folks.

Yikes! keeping fingers crossed I don't disappoint ;)

#33 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

fitted new battery but....the light stayed on....going to take it for a long run, just to make sure the battery is fully charged. but in the mean time i have ordered a new alternator for 126 and should be delivered tomorrow.

if the light goes off, ill send the alternator back, unopened to the retailer and will get a refund. will also check the smart charge wires to make sure they are ok, before fitting the new alternator.

im going to be damned if its one of those things where the dealer needs to reset the system!

#34 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

fitted new battery but....the light stayed on....going to take it for a long run, just to make sure the battery is fully charged. but in the mean time i have ordered a new alternator for 126 and should be delivered tomorrow.

if the light goes off, ill send the alternator back, unopened to the retailer and will get a refund. will also check the smart charge wires to make sure they are ok, before fitting the new alternator.

im going to be damned if its one of those things where the dealer needs to reset the system!

if it was the battery then it will take say 10 starts of the engine with a good battery before the light goes out

#35 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

ah cool, ill keep a look out...cheers artscot.

#36 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Not seen that before, but will be very disappointed in myself if its not the battery! fingers crossed it is just a run in period it needs...

#37 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

battery light has stayed on and i have a load of runs....the life of being a techy on 24./7 call, took it to auto electrician who said its the alternator... got my self a brand new alternator for 126 (80 for alternator, delivery and tax included). im going to go for it and install it over the next few days...im wondering if anyone will be interested in a noddy guide (with pictures) on how to do this for future ref?

#38 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Guides are always helpful! and it will save a lot of wondering later for anyone else! I could have done with this about 6 months ago!

#39 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

Guides are always helpful! and it will save a lot of wondering later for anyone else! I could have done with this about 6 months ago!

rather dissapointed also it was the alternator on the up side the battery would likely be knackered with a faulty cell anyway if not i suppose you have a spare and pics are always good mate

#40 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

right i looked at it and figured to the hell with it...phoned up the local garage and they fitted the alternator for 30 and gave me the old...

but guess what?

the light remains on. they had a look and claimed it was the main harness but just advised me to take it to dealer as they could do the work and it may not do anything, very honest of him. this is becoming a major pain in the !Removed!.

so well this sums it up its the harness!!!!!! has to be!!!

i check the resistance of the red wire only, only had time for that before i went to work, by disconnecting the harness from the alternator and removing, if i remember correctly, fuse 31 and checked resistance. resistance showing 00.06, which is good, wire is ok...

this, from reading other forums (transit and connect) the blue wire from alternator to ecu, is well the bad boy. so on sunday afters, going to get it up on the ramps disconnect the harness and carry out resistance checks on all, and visually check them and re-wire as nessessary.

another note i did ring ford, jennings ford, asked how much a diagnosis is....85 with VAT (102!!!!!!) i swiftly put phone down! why pay someone to tell me what is wrong, what i already know, and to do a job i can do?!?

sorry for not being able to get a guide for the alternator, but i can possibly get a noddy guide for checking the resistance and rectifying issues with the harness. anything that helps others, i say.

#41 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

right i looked at it and figured to the hell with it...phoned up the local garage and they fitted the alternator for 30 and gave me the old...

but guess what?

the light remains on. they had a look and claimed it was the main harness but just advised me to take it to dealer as they could do the work and it may not do anything, very honest of him. this is becoming a major pain in the !Removed!.

so well this sums it up its the harness!!!!!! has to be!!!

i check the resistance of the red wire only, only had time for that before i went to work, by disconnecting the harness from the alternator and removing, if i remember correctly, fuse 31 and checked resistance. resistance showing 00.06, which is good, wire is ok...

this, from reading other forums (transit and connect) the blue wire from alternator to ecu, is well the bad boy. so on sunday afters, going to get it up on the ramps disconnect the harness and carry out resistance checks on all, and visually check them and re-wire as nessessary.

another note i did ring ford, jennings ford, asked how much a diagnosis is....85 with VAT (102!!!!!!) i swiftly put phone down! why pay someone to tell me what is wrong, what i already know, and to do a job i can do?!?

sorry for not being able to get a guide for the alternator, but i can possibly get a noddy guide for checking the resistance and rectifying issues with the harness. anything that helps others, i say.

my local ford is 70 inc vat for a diagnostics jennings are extortionate for many things so its the smart charge harness thats causing the issues

#42 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

just out of curiosity are arnold clarke any better?

#43 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Checked the harness again from the alternator right the way to the point the main harness goes down to the passenger front wheel, no breaks and good resistance. This leaves me to believe that the fault may have to be cleared from ford before the light goes out. If this is the case I am going to buy myself a ford wds diagnostic tool, no way am I going to keep paying ford 102 to diagnose a fault

#44 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

Very good idea, out of curiosity how much does the WDS cost?

A shame all round about the battery, and also the alternator - I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we were all hoping it was just going to be a battery issue! I just hope your WDS allows you to reset and the issue does disappear once and for all!

#45 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

the wds is going to cost 390 and its a clone of the dealership tool...so it can do everything and anything :P

thanks jee.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users