Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Oil Loss

xev

Hi,

A couple of months ago my friend did a mini service on my car ie checking fluid and general condition. now a weeks Ago I mentioned to my friend that I had noticed fluid on my drive when pArked over night. He couldn't find where it was coming from noticed the brAke fluid was at minimum looked under the car and could see a line of oil from the front to the bend at the rear took it into the garage and he said to come back on a dry day. I've been wAtching the fluid levels and all seems fine. anyone any ideas.

Zev

brake fluid, from what i am told will go down with the wear of the brake pads, apparently if done right the fluid should be at max with new pads and by the time they wear down to a point of replacement the fluid will be at min, if that makes sense.

but anyways the fluid on the floor what your seeing could very well be brake fluid leaking, but i wouldnt touch it. its harmfull and that bad it can take the paint of your car! i doubt it will be brake fluid but rather condensation or run off from the air con condensor if you have had it on or even rain water run off.

Yeah A friend suggested condensation for the fluid loss. Come to think of it I had new pads last year I was told they were quite bad. perhaps the mechanic didn't top the fluid back up.

Thanks

Zev

Yeah A friend suggested condensation for the fluid loss. Come to think of it I had new pads last year I was told they were quite bad. perhaps the mechanic didn't top the fluid back up.

Thanks

Zev

fitting new pads will mean the fluid will return to the max level..

fitting new pads will mean the fluid will return to the max level..

Only if the level hasnt dropped in that time though. If you have leaked any fluid through the cyclinders on the shoes, or the pistons at the front, otherwise yes, if you have had no leaks and fitted new pads, it should in theory return to the max level!

When I replaced the pads on mine I noticed the Haynes recommends to clamp the hose and open the bleed screw when retracting the caliper piston. This is to avoid old and possibly contaminated fluid from being pushed back through the ABS unit.

Im pretty sure I didnt do that and mine was fine...

I held the caliper up with a metal coathanger, after pushing the pistons back with a G Clamp.

Then greased the new pads, slotted them in, fitted the caliper and pushed on the brakes to get the touching the disk.

I persoonally found no need to bleed it, and it might bite me on the behind at some point, but its been through the MOT since and the dealer never flitted an eyelid so I can only assume that it is a correct practice, even if its not the best?

I've always done it the same way as you in the past but the Haynes claimed that pushing old fluid from the calipers back through the ABS unit risked damage to it because the fluid is hygroscopic and likely to be contaminated with water, so this time I clamped the hose. In the past when bleeding brakes I've found the first lot of fluid that comes out is often quite dirty so I reckon it's probably a good idea not to let that get near the ABS. The fluid had been regularly topped up so that avoided having to siphon excess from the reservoir. I didn't bother to bleed the system afterwards and it's been perfectly ok.

• 2 weeks later...

hi ,

I'm here again with the same problem oil loss, It isnt very noticeable that there is a loss. but I also noticed recently that there is some fluid under the pedals. First i thought it was water. But it dropped on my shoe today and as i wiped it off with my fingers it felt oily. so any ideas folks on this new development.

Sounds like it's leaking from the clutch master cylinder. That shares a reservoir with the brakes so that would explain why you thought it was brake fluid you were losing.

The mechanic checked the clutch he said it was ok. Will have to take the car back for another check. Thanks

I'm basing that suggestion on the fact that the clutch master cylinder is inside the footwell, bolted to the pedal box, whereas the brake master cylinder is inside the engine bay and separated from the footwell by the vacuum servo.

Hi just read this post. and i had the same problem with mine the other week. Took it to my local garage and the mech said it was definatley the clutch master cylinder leaking when he saw the stain on my rubber mat. Quoted me £85.00 for the part and £50.00 to fit it. Got my mate to do it for me, took 2.5 hrs of !Removed! fiddling in the foot well, and plenty of cussing. Personally think its worth the £50.00 to get the garage to do it, unless you are a contortionist. Not too bad for me, i only made the tea lol

I will definitely go back with the car. I was gonna ask a friend to do it for me but don't think I could put him through it. Plus the fact that he's over 6ft won't help. Thanks