Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Main Beam...to Flash Or Not Just Flash

andyedge

I would've thought I'd be used to this by now after 17 months.....

Not sure if it's just me, but when I want to just give a quick flash of the main beam to other drivers I find that I have pulled the left stalk back all the way to fully engage the full beam, thus blinding the oncoming driver for a second or so before I can react to switch full beam off again.

This seems to happen more often than not which seems quite dangerous to me. On previous cars it has been pull back to flash (oo-er) & push forward to engage main beam. On the Fiesta there is no push forward action on this stalk. Wonder why Ford designed it this way? :unsure:

Think I might have done this a couple of times but only in daylight so no excessive blinding. I agree about the design though, does seem a bit odd. I remember once following a guy who kept indicating right briefly every time he turned full beam on/off, that was quite amusing.

i dont mind quick flash as it works ok to me. The worst thing is that when you have full beem on and when car comes to switch them off you need to pull back and forward which can be slow. I have a quick reaction but people who dont makes me angry and it can be a part of ford's fault.

Can't say I've ever noticed this.

There's quite a noticeable change in the resistance of the stalk when you've clicked it into full beam I find.

Saying that every car I've owned had a similar set up so maybe I'm just used to it.

ya i get this. quite annoying. i basicly blinded my mate yesterday when i was behind him. supose just got to get used to the design!!

Alternatively - don't flash your main beams at all and briefly turn the lights off and on. The gesture is the same and there's no blinding involved. If it's daylight, a hand gesture works perfectly.

Speaking as someone who regularly drives with someone who suffers from photosensitive seizures in the front seat - any flash of the main beam can cause problems, the off/on method is much easier on the oncoming driver. Having someone convulsing in the seat next to you is hard to deal with. This may seem extreme, but it makes sense for all of us.

This is a pet gripe of mine also. Why cant we go back to the old days and have pull forward to flash and push back to lock on. In mine if you dont have the lights on when you pull forward it doesnt lock the beam on so in daylight its not a problem (unless your driving with your lights on of course :( )

i have had this once or twice myself! and occasionally when i flash in a hurry or just aint being carefull end up indicating to at the same time!