Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longer Wiper Blade

barrywi

My late 2010 Mk7 has a 41cm/16 inch blade on the passenger side and doesn't quite cover enough screen for my wife when sitting as a passenger. I think I can get away with a 17 inch blade replacement without fouling the bodywork but am unsure where I can get a matching type apart from maybe a Ford garage. Any suggestions? ( apart from getting a new wife!)

My late 2010 Mk7 has a 41cm/16 inch blade on the passenger side and doesn't quite cover enough screen for my wife when sitting as a passenger. I think I can get away with a 17 inch blade replacement without fouling the bodywork but am unsure where I can get a matching type apart from maybe a Ford garage. Any suggestions? ( apart from getting a new wife!)

There was a post about this just recently: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18574&view=findpost&p=112516

The latest production Fiestas have a new design wiper arm and longer blade. You could order the parts from your dealer and fit them to get better coverage on the passenger side. Hopefully the next generation Fiesta will adopt the better design from other cars with tall windscreens and have the wipers opposing each other rather than in parallel. The "missed bit" of the screen would then be behind the rear view mirror.

Just noticed: You started that other thread!

Edited by AntonyJ

It is a poor show that the passenger side blade is so small, only really noticed it yesterday in the rain after this thread

so what your passenger can't see, you're the one driving, you can see fine... whats the issue?

so what your passenger can't see, you're the one driving, you can see fine... whats the issue?

You took the words right out of my mouth

Well my friends, the issue is that my passenger suffers from migraines caused many times by disturbed vision. If she sees two thirds of a view clearly and the rest through a rain spotted windscreen then she can get a migraine. If you want to be the one who has to sit with her while she recovers and is being physically sick then that is fine . Otherwise I suggest you don't waste your time looking for posts to dismiss and get on with your own life. ( This is the polite version of what I wanted to post)

The design of the passenger side wiper arm / blade has changed in production for all Fiesta 2008.75 (06/2008-) build from 27.08.2010 (build code AP) onwards. The new passenger side wiper blade is 10 mm longer on either side and the new level wiper arm requires a revised park position for the wiper blade. The old level parts are still available as a spare part for service for vehicles build up to 26.08.2010.

Only for none heated windscreens and windscreens without rain sensor the installation of the new passenger side wiper arm / blade could show a misalignment between the wiper blade park position and the related markings on the windshield.

In case of misalignment ignore the markings on the windshield and adjust the windshield wiper arm according to the following service instruction.

• NOTE: Ignoring these instructions could lead to audible contact of wiper blade tip to A-pillar moulding when the windshield wipers are switch on or damages to the front windshield wiper blades.

If required, check and adjust the angle of the wiper arm to the windshield glass in reference to TSB 23/2009.

General Information

Vehicles build from 26.08.2010 (build code AP) onwards with none heated windscreens and windscreens without rain sensor could show a potential misalignment between the wiper blade park position and the related markings on the windshield.

Vehicles build up to 26.08.2010 (build code AP) which requires a windscreen replacement could show a potential misalignment between the wiper blade park position and the related markings on the new windshield. Please adjust the wiper arms according to the following service instruction.

1. NOTE: Vehicles build from 26.08.2010 (build code AP) onwards may have a potential misalignment between the wiper blade home position and the related markings on the windshield.

Examples for vehicles with different wiper blade settings.

1. Passenger side wiper blade tip below the reference on the windshield with minor contact to the A-pillar moulding.

2. Passenger side wiper blade tip above the reference on the windshield.

Wiper blade(s) - Renew

1. Remove and discard the wiper blade(s).

2. New wiper blade clip on extended version:

1. New wiper blade clip on extended wiper blade version

2. Actual wiper blade clip design

3. Install the new wiper blade(s) (see Parts Required).

4. NOTE: Make sure that the windshield wiper motor is in the park position.

• NOTE: In case of concern / misalignment ignore the home position markings on the windshield to adjust the windshield wiper arm.

Re-adjusted the windshield wiper arm according to the extended wiper blade length.

• Adjust the windshield wiper arm. For additional information, refer to Fiesta 2008.75 Workshop Manual Section 501-16.
  • As the nuts are tightened, hold the windshield wiper arms to stop them from turning. Torque: 24 Nm.

5. Verify the correct operation of the windshield wipers by operating the windshield washer twice and making the blades make 10 complete cycles at second windshield wiper speed.

Parts Required DescriptionFinis CodeQuantity

wiper blade kit:

Vehicles build up to 26.08.2010 1 556 0821

Vehicles from 27.08.2010 onwards 1 726 3281

wiper arm (right-hand side):

Vehicles build up to 26.08.2010 1 556 0831

Vehicles from 27.08.2010 onwards 1 726 3291

my post was also the polite version ;)

Obviously before you left school last year they didn't teach you manners or taste. I suggest you go and fit fluffy dice to your fiesta to complete your image. I hope you don't take the same attitude if your girl/boyfriend/mother passenger complains about not having a clear screen.

For the sensible replies, thank you very much. I will take away the information and study potential solutions.

Obviously before you left school last year they didn't teach you manners or taste.

Pot, kettle, black?

I left school over ten years ago, I must have learnt something though because even I can see that an extra centimetre in difference will:

a) come close to fouling the gutter near the A-piller and;

B) make negligable difference on that side as the wiper travel is designed to aid the driver thus leaving over a third of that side untouched.

maybe driving when it's not raining would be the best course of action.

Failing that you could write a letter :)

Completely random suggestion, but how about stuff like rainx that reduces the need for wipers? I've never used it myself, but maybe that would help?

Pot, kettle, black?

Yes I take the point and apologise for having a rant , but the point I am trying to make is that I posted here for a reason..... to solve a problem, not to argue. It doesn't help if posters say the post is a waste of space. It may be to them but I am old enough now to realise that life is not black and white and that and that the points of view of others is just as important.

Back to the quest. I have found that Valeo make the Ford type wipers and am waiting for a reply from them to see if they can supply an 18 inch matching wiper to try. I measured the gap at the A pillar end and there is over an inch to spare, so hopefully it will fit without fouling.

I will report back if anybody is vaguely interested? :rolleyes:

there isn't an inch to spare, I had a look whilst waiting for the other half in asda, my wiper is already very close to the gutter trim, mine been an 09 plate. You could maybe get a centimetre on there but I don't think you'd achieve what you're trying.

If the travel was from right to left like the Frenchy cars you'd be fine. As mentioned you could try polishing your glass, I used my dual action machine on mine once, bit if an extreme way to clean your glass but the water never settled on there...

there isn't an inch to spare, I had a look whilst waiting for the other half in asda, my wiper is already very close to the gutter trim, mine been an 09 plate. You could maybe get a centimetre on there but I don't think you'd achieve what you're trying.

If the travel was from right to left like the Frenchy cars you'd be fine. As mentioned you could try polishing your glass, I used my dual action machine on mine once, bit if an extreme way to clean your glass but the water never settled on there...

I am hoping not to be starting another argument :) but I have just been outside to my car and measured between the end of the wiper arm and the rubber trim of the windscreen seal and the measurement I get is nearly 1.5 inches or just under 4 cms.This would allow an 18 inch blade( up from the 16 inch fitted) to be fitted with a half inch leeway. Obviously I believe your measurement and am wondering if my November 2010 Fiesta has a different design arm/blade from earlier ones? I take the point about a Rain X treatment and have used that a lot on previous cars. For the first couple of months above around 50 mph you could leave the wipers off and the rain just beads upwards to the roof. I found the movement of the rain a bit disturbing though. It is great for the side windows and mirrors though, and possibly the rear screen, depending on the airflow around it.

really?!

I'm gonna have to go take another look! I remember the magic of new car ownership and ultra beading, miss those times

Yes I take the point and apologise for having a rant , but the point I am trying to make is that I posted here for a reason..... to solve a problem, not to argue. It doesn't help if posters say the post is a waste of space. It may be to them but I am old enough now to realise that life is not black and white and that and that the points of view of others is just as important.

Back to the quest. I have found that Valeo make the Ford type wipers and am waiting for a reply from them to see if they can supply an 18 inch matching wiper to try. I measured the gap at the A pillar end and there is over an inch to spare, so hopefully it will fit without fouling.

I will report back if anybody is vaguely interested? :rolleyes:

Just to let you know, when I bought Valeo wipers they only lasted two months before they started smudging and leaving lines of water on the screen, mind you they were only £20 from euro car parts.

i thought that... but i was sat in the passenger seat last night and found it annoying, even though i wasn't actually going anywhere (someone just wanted a look around car inside from behind the wheel)... still it really really annoyed me that i could see nothing but dust and spray from the washers that dont get washed away by wipers...

Well my friends, the issue is that my passenger suffers from migraines caused many times by disturbed vision. If she sees two thirds of a view clearly and the rest through a rain spotted windscreen then she can get a migraine. If you want to be the one who has to sit with her while she recovers and is being physically sick then that is fine . Otherwise I suggest you don't waste your time looking for posts to dismiss and get on with your own life. ( This is the polite version of what I wanted to post)

Tell the passenger not to look at all, that way they don't see two thirds clearly, they see nothing at all... :D

Nobodys mentioned switching places and letting the passenger be the driver? :rolleyes:

Not long after I first got my car a passenger pointed out how short the left wiper blade was.

I said, "Oh yeah, it is isn't it? I don't need to look through that part of the windscreen to drive so didn't notice. Why do you need to see the way ahead anyway, I'm the one driving?"

"I like to see where I'm going." they replied.

"Slouch then." I told them.

Problem solved!

I would be very intrested, being a driving instructor & having brought three fiesta's, my instructors say that the short near side wiper blade is very unhelpfull

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club