Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Tdci Dpf Removal

focus_this

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one had removed the dpf from a focus 1.6 tdci? If so I was wondering if there were any negatives?

I was thinking of removing it myself and getting a remap company to reprogram the ECU for me.

I spoke to this company today avon tuning and the guy was really helpful, he said there would be no draw backs and if anything the car would feel more responsive and would still pass an MOT.

Any info or feedback would be great?

Take a look at my thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18241&st=0 you might find some useful info there about it before you decide!

Hi Jeeb,

Thanks for the link made a very interesting read!

However I do not know how VOSA can state that modifying a vehicle so that it does not reach the emission figures set when new is illeagel. Surely they cant enforce this, think about all those boy racers who put induction kits and exhausts on their cars and all the very very big companies such as deemon tweeks etc. who fit these aftermarket modifcations.

It has made me think twice but my focus has been back to the dealer 3 times with DPF issues and Im sick of it now just want to rip the dam thing out!

Any one else on here actually bit the bullet and had the DPF removed?

Cheers guys

Not Sure,

the problem is VOSA do set up roadside test stations and could randomly pull you in. They would most likely have a generic sheet that gives information of how old a model car is, and generic wear and tear (what the output would be) now, they would claim to say that if they saw a 4 year old car, with high emissions, then they would investigate the exhaust system, if they see the DPF removed, they would claim war on you and eat your beloved family pet.

The problem is that they agree wear and tear is fair, however if you deliberately try to do something that will impact emissions and make it worse thats when they get a bit upset.

I dont understand why, or how, I never try to understand government agencies as I have an easier time understanding nucleophysics, rocket science, and the workings of steven hawkings mind than the government...

Anyway, I am hoping to get shot of my car before the DPF needs removing, and I will buy without DPF next time!

Well I certainly hope they dont pull me in now as I decided to risk it for a biscuit and have the DPF removed on Saturday! :unsure:

I spoke to the guy at Avon Tuning and asked his opinion on VOSA's regulations, his response was similar to my first thoughts that it was impossible to enforce and 99.9% of the time they were unaware of the regulations themselves or would turn a blind eye as people have been modifying their cars in one way or another since their very invention.

His opinion was that as long as you have an MOT, Tax, insurance and a road worthy car I have nothing to worry about.

As for Vosa noticing that the DPF had been removed with a quick roadside check I doubt it very much, the guy showed me where he had cut the DPF and then welded the thing back up and I must say I was very impressed, he explained that he uses a 'Tig' (not sure if thats right maybe Tib. lol) welder as the weld mark is very neat and clean unlike other methods. He was under the impression that cutting, gutting and welding neatley was a much better solution and more disctreet than the shiny polished aftermarket pipes some people fit.

Anyway the car feels great now and not sure if its just me but it seems quicker too which is a bonus even if its in my imagination! ;) and best of all no stupid warning lights!

Well Ill keep everyone updated as I have an MOT in 3 months.

If anyone else is in the Bristol location I would def recommend them.

Cheers

Good to see your repaing the benefits already! with any luck it will remain in a good state. I agree that it would be difficult for Vosa to detect, but then again, im hoping to not have the car for much longer!!! Fingers crossed!

Anyway look forward to hearing your review of the MOT!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,yes please, I too am having probs with my focus 1.6 tdci, and I think it is a dpf model, not too sure but it seems as if it is having dpf probs, bad consumption, erratic acceleration, but no warning lights!....yet!

I am thinking of getting the dpf removed, but how much will it cost? I have an extended warranty but I'm getting the feeling the dpf won't be covered! I'm only getten 350 miles with a full tank! And it's only a 1.6! I'm taking it to a ford dealership to see if they can find a fault. Going to cost 70 quid! The dealer I bought it from said no fault codes came up from his test! What u think guys?

Hi,yes please, I too am having probs with my focus 1.6 tdci, and I think it is a dpf model, not too sure but it seems as if it is having dpf probs, bad consumption, erratic acceleration, but no warning lights!....yet!

I am thinking of getting the dpf removed, but how much will it cost? I have an extended warranty but I'm getting the feeling the dpf won't be covered! I'm only getten 350 miles with a full tank! And it's only a 1.6! I'm taking it to a ford dealership to see if they can find a fault. Going to cost 70 quid! The dealer I bought it from said no fault codes came up from his test! What u think guys?

I would start by changing the simple things, like filters (air, fuel and oil) as the computers will only record errors with sensors etc! give the car a good service and see if that helps, if it was a DPF issue, you would certainly know about it, and no the DPF filter is not covered by warranty. Warranty only covers mechanical parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm watching this post with interest as I too have 1.6 TDCI focus. It has 77,000 miles on the clock so I'm thinking it's about due for some DPF problems!

I understand the DPF and CAT are situated together in the exhaust so do they remove both or is the CAT left and everything welded back together?

On a slight tangent, has anyone had a problem with the EGR valve as my motor has started tapping but only at high revs under load. I've read that this could due to a stuck EGR valve and the diesel is igniting before it's meant too. I'd be interested to here other opinions.

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I'm watching this post with interest as I too have 1.6 TDCI focus. It has 77,000 miles on the clock so I'm thinking it's about due for some DPF problems!

I understand the DPF and CAT are situated together in the exhaust so do they remove both or is the CAT left and everything welded back together?

On a slight tangent, has anyone had a problem with the EGR valve as my motor has started tapping but only at high revs under load. I've read that this could due to a stuck EGR valve and the diesel is igniting before it's meant too. I'd be interested to here other opinions.

Cheers.

The CAT is left in place, and they reseat the rest of the cover, all they do is remove the filter and bypass it on the CPU :)

Best thing to do is read through the focus forums re. the EGR valves, best to keep one topic as it is, but there have been many a solution on the focus forums. Some have used Whynns EGR cleaner which seems to do some good.

• 5 months later...

anybody else had this done? looking at getting mine done now. Although not having any problems- just rather get done before they do:p

Been quoted £450+ mark by several companies to sort dpf/software and remap. looking for recommendations on companies in northwest/midlands if possible?

not sure to go with decat pipe or just remove inards of dpf?? i know it shouldnt have problems with MOT as thats a smoke test and onfirmed with 2 garages up here also?

opinions please....sorry for dragging old post

I would advise reading my other thread as I posted in reply 2, just so you have a good understanding of what is involved / potential repurcussions. VOSA are doing a lot more roadside tests and are (i have been informed) looking at diesels in more detail than before, so be wary if you do continue down this path. I would advise thought that you could probably get the DPF replaced with aftermarket parts for not much more than you are looking to pay to remove, so it may be worth considering going down this route...

• 4 months later...

hey Newbie,

i have the same car, as you the 2006 model, how much did it cost you to have this work done, and did you have to have the program deleted fro the ecu, also how long did it take.

• 1 year later...

Car collected!

dpf light OFF, limp mode OFF, juddering GONE, low mpg GONE... cant believe it..... 2 hours and its all sorted!!!

Sounds good :-) what was the final cost? How does the car drive now in comparison to before?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had theirs done by http://www.midlanddpfremoval.com/ ?

I've just dropped mine off and will be collecting it in a couple of hours... will post review once its back.

Thanks

The price was £350 for the full job and that included the optional remap(performance) too. Since having the car I have had the MOT done which passed and with regards to driving, I feel it pulls alot better and smoother and no more juddering due to a blocked DPF :D

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

Just dropped my 08 plate Focus titanium off at the garage after only buying it last night. Engine management light came on, went into limp mode followed by a ping noise what brought up a message saying engine malfunction. Dont know if it is due to the DPF or not but I will just have to wait and see what the guys at the garage say. Just wanting to know if anyone has anymore up dates on whether removing the DPF is a good idea (as the last post was in 2013) and whether the law has changed since.

Reply appreciated.

I don't think the law has changed but MOT regs were tightened up early last year, yes I have had my DPF removed, and no I don't regret it one bit.

How much did it set you back if you do t mind me asking and whom do you recommend. What is involved (as a package) once the decision has been made to remove the DPF.

I think people who get these things removed should rethink their moral compass.

As inconvenient they are and expensive to repair they are there to help improve air quality for everyone... Just think of that black crap being breathed in by babies, toddlers, children or people with breathing conditions... You are contributing to the destruction of people's health just to save yourself a few quid... Morally speaking the health of a developing baby is more important than a few quid repairing the system. Bearing in mind that babies and children in prams and pushchairs aren't much higher off the ground than your exhaust so any cloud of black particulate is going to be easily breathed in.

Answer should be you shouldn't of brought the car in the first place if you can't afford to maintain it... Would be like buying a Ferrari and saying but I didn't know it would use so much petrol so I will detune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Got it done by Avon Tuning near Bristol and would highly recommend them (but a bit far from you by the looks of it). It takes about 3 hours for the physical removal and remap to clear it from the electronic system. I think he writes his own maps which includes adjusting the settings to optimise it and the car has driven perfectly since with better mpg and more power. Its over a year ago but I think it cost around £350 give or take.

If only I could find someone as good as that to change the timing belt which is the next few hundred quid I need to spend...I don't like trusting it to someone who might not know what they are doing.

Its ok. Ive just recently stopped smoking and adopted a polar bear so when I comes to saving the planet I think it owes me.

As for removing the DPF. If I knew it had one I wouldn't have bought it. And if it means removing it to stop me shelling out hundreds of £££'s every 6000 mile then I'm sorry Ghandi I'm going to remove it - well that's if the law allows me too ;)

But as before thanks for your opinion - truly noted.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club