Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloy Wheel corrosion

dave52

I have owned a fiesta ghia since registered in Mar 2006, the problem I have is there is corrosion/blistering on all 4 wheels. There is no scratching or kerbing damage just blistering under the finish. I have been in contact with Ford Customer Relations who gave me the impression they know of this problem from other owners but wouldn't admit it. They have decided to offer me 90% towards the cost of new ones or refurbishment up to a max of £300. Needless to say Im not very happy as the car is 30 months old and the alloys are looking a mess. Does anyone else know of this problem or have had the same problem

I have owned a fiesta ghia since registered in Mar 2006, the problem I have is there is corrosion/blistering on all 4 wheels. There is no scratching or kerbing damage just blistering under the finish. I have been in contact with Ford Customer Relations who gave me the impression they know of this problem from other owners but wouldn't admit it. They have decided to offer me 90% towards the cost of new ones or refurbishment up to a max of £300. Needless to say Im not very happy as the car is 30 months old and the alloys are looking a mess. Does anyone else know of this problem or have had the same problem

Because the alloys are painted ( or have a laquered finish ) and made from cast aluminium they're inherently porous, because of this, damp is trapped in the pores and eventually shows itself as corrosion. ( Blistering of the paint/laquer or furring on scuffed areas ) The best method of combating this is to have the wheel stripped, alchromated then repainted, this stops it oxidising under the paint. Unfortunately i doubt if any wheel refurbisher would do alchromating and it would need done by an engineering company! (Working for a defence company we do this regularly on the aircraft components we produce.)

Sorry it's a bit long winded but it's something that occurs to alloy wheels unfortunately and the only remedy is stripping and repainting or polishing and re laquering depending what sort of alloys you have!

i also have the same problem and was only offered 50%, with alloys costing £199 each thats not much of an offer. when the car is up for renewall i will not buy ford again.

could this be a fault that watchdog would be intrested in?

could this be a fault that watchdog would be intrested in?

I would say it depends how the corrosions got there in the first place...for instance, normal tyre weights should not be used with an alloy wheel as it chips the finish when theyre hammered on letting air/water in which in turn starts the corrosion, eventually causing the alloy to leak air.

It's well known in the car/tyre industry that painted alloys are notorious for corrosion. Even wheels machined from solid aluminium require regular polishing otherwise the surface oxidises. The only difference being that a quick polish restores the finish.

• 4 months later...

Same here on my 06 Ghia.It looks ugly.

Mmmm, that's not good service :angry: I've always bought Toyota (and one Honda) and their wheels blister too. Remedy, even if the car is 3 years old is Toyota fit you a brand new one FOC under warranty. The Fiesta will be my first ever Ford. I hope I don't regret getting a Ford as I've been used to Toyotas excellent warranty.

I have the same problem on my 56 plate Ghia, it looks awful. i have never thought of going back to garage with it. the are like a strip of water is caaught behind it, i have it on 2 wheels badly and 1 is not that bad. have been quoted £150 to fix them all.

hope this does not happen on my new one i am getting next week, as i am still keeping my ghia

think we should get in touch with Watchdog

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club