11 replies to this topic

#1 Truly55

Truly55

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Ford Model: Hot Magenta Titanium 1.4 with Tech Pack

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

The wife's Mk7 1.4 petrol is exactly 2 years old and has covered just under 10,000 miles. It's getting its 2nd service today and Ford are advising that the fluid should be changed?! Really? Ford said it would be 39 and could be done during the service. The wife said no thanks.

Has anyone else had similar experiences during routine services? Surely the fluid can last more than 2 years / 10,000 miles?

Cheers

Pete

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 andy64

andy64

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium 3dr

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which essentially means that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

Over time the fluid becomes increasingly diluted with water - which has a lower boiling point than brake fluid. Under extreme conditions, heat from the brakes can cause the fluid to boil - resulting in a loss of brake effectiveness; if the fluid's old, it will boil more readily due to the water content which will increase over time.

Hence your dealer's right on this occasion, it is good practice to have a brake fluid change every two years - and according to the Ford Etis website this is part of the service schedule for the Mk7 Fiesta.

#3 Truly55

Truly55

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi,

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which essentially means that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

Over time the fluid becomes increasingly diluted with water - which has a lower boiling point than brake fluid. Under extreme conditions, heat from the brakes can cause the fluid to boil - resulting in a loss of brake effectiveness; if the fluid's old, it will boil more readily due to the water content which will increase over time.

Hence your dealer's right on this occasion, it is good practice to have a brake fluid change every two years - and according to the Ford Etis website this is part of the service schedule for the Mk7 Fiesta.

Hi Andy. Yes, I understand what you're saying so I wish Ford could have been more insistent to my wife that it was part of the service schedule rather than asking would she like it done. A question then to all you Mk7 owners out there...did you get your brake fluid changed after 2 years? Do I need to rebook it into the garage for a 39 fluid change?

cheers

#4 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 2009

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hi Andy. Yes, I understand what you're saying so I wish Ford could have been more insistent to my wife that it was part of the service schedule rather than asking would she like it done. A question then to all you Mk7 owners out there...did you get your brake fluid changed after 2 years? Do I need to rebook it into the garage for a 39 fluid change?

cheers

Booked mine in today for 2 year service and asked about brake fluid change, 196.72 for service + 39.99 for brake fluid change. They said they have some gadget that they check the brake fluid with to see if it needs changing, in the end agreed they would change it with service for all in price of 200.... still not sure whether it needs doing, never used to be done in the old days...LOL

#5 Nico.

Nico.

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: Ford fiesta MK7
  • Year: 2009

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

case of rather be safe than sorry? in fairness your car aint gonna carry on rolling next time you use the brakes because you aint had it done, but its then done and they are back to their best which is safer i suppose aint it

#6 Truly55

Truly55

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Booked mine in today for 2 year service and asked about brake fluid change, 196.72 for service + 39.99 for brake fluid change. They said they have some gadget that they check the brake fluid with to see if it needs changing, in the end agreed they would change it with service for all in price of 200.... still not sure whether it needs doing, never used to be done in the old days...LOL

Ouch - 196.72 for 2 year service. Granted it's a bigger engine and a diesel. Wifey paid 138. Rang a day previously and it was 165! Two other local dealers were both around 165 for 1.4 petrol / 2 year service. What do others here on the forum pay for a 1.4 petrol / 2 year service? Probably going to have to cough up 40 for brake fluid change.

#7 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

some garages just stick to the schedual and change the fluid every two years, they should test the fluid with a moisture meter and as long as its less than 1.5% it should be allright,at 3% it needs changing.

#8 Bashful

Bashful

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1l 125ps ecoboost
  • Year: 2013
Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

I had the brake fluid changed on my second service on my Ka a few years back. I'm no expert but at 10k miles is it really necessary? It's something they offer at a 2nd service but you could have covered 25k miles by then.

#9 DONFRAMAC

DONFRAMAC

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk6 1.25 Zetec Climate '58 reg

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

I had the brake fluid changed on my second service on my Ka a few years back. I'm no expert but at 10k miles is it really necessary? It's something they offer at a 2nd service but you could have covered 25k miles by then.

My '58 reg Mk 6.5 Zetec Climate is <10,000 miles, and wasn't even moisture checked at the 2 year service. I am on a 3-year service contract, and expect to be stung for brake/clutch fluid change as an extra, this September, + MoT work (the MoT fee is part of the contract.). I was made aware of the moisture check when I started the contract.
I was given very nice loan cars both times, and the car got washed well, and I got better oil last year, -- Castrol Edge 5W30.

#10 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 2009

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

some garages just stick to the schedual and change the fluid every two years, they should test the fluid with a moisture meter and as long as its less than 1.5% it should be allright,at 3% it needs changing.

Expect a lot check it and if ok do not change it, then still charge you 40 for a change anyway,how would we know? :(

#11 sparticus5

sparticus5

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6Ti-VCT

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

For reasons I won't go in to (far too long a post) I've never agreed to have a brake fluid change. However to be fair to the manufacturers, the brake fluid change is a time based recommendation, it's got nothing to do with the wear and tear caused by how many miles the car's covered.

#12 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

for anyone who wants to check themselves you can get electronic moisture testers for as little as 22 now.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users