• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 themagicrat

themagicrat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo TDCi
Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

My 2003 TDCi has started juddering. If I'm driving at about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear on a part throttle the car stutters as if it's about to run out of fuel. At motorway speeds or in normal acceleration it's fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

if its happens at about 1800-2000 rpm the most common cause could be the egr valve getting cloged up. you can remove and clean it out to see if it improves things

#3 mike4369

mike4369

Mike

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Mk4 Mondeo 2.2 TDCI TitX Sport Estate
  • Year: 2008
Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

if its happens at about 1800-2000 rpm the most common cause could be the egr valve getting cloged up. you can remove and clean it out to see if it improves things

Mine has started to do the same but despite cleaning the EGR it has not cured the fault. I have also changed the throttle pedal thinking it may have had a flat spot since I had to depress it about an inch before the revs build , this had no effect, also the juddering starts at the same spot on the pedal whatever gear/speed. Totally confused <_<

#4 mike4369

mike4369

Mike

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Mk4 Mondeo 2.2 TDCI TitX Sport Estate
  • Year: 2008
Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

Mine has started to do the same but despite cleaning the EGR it has not cured the fault. I have also changed the throttle pedal thinking it may have had a flat spot since I had to depress it about an inch before the revs build , this had no effect, also the juddering starts at the same spot on the pedal whatever gear/speed. Totally confused <_<

Turned out to be a split in the rubber pipe between the turbo and intercooler quote the mechanic "Its a common fault" once changed the car drives like a dream and is doing more MPG (reduced MPG is another symptom). It is poss to DIY fix
The pedal issue turned out to be a red herring and I wasted a lot of time persuing it.
edit the pipe in question was between the intercooler and the egr

#5 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

a split in the intercooler pipe is usually leads to a loss of power due to loss of turbo pressure and black smoke. this is not mentoned in the origanal post.

#6 bill1948Libby

bill1948Libby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo estate tdci 130 2004
Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

My 2003 TDCi has started juddering. If I'm driving at about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear on a part throttle the car stutters as if it's about to run out of fuel. At motorway speeds or in normal acceleration it's fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Hi. Silly question, but you haven't put petrol instead of diesel in it, have you??? I did and suffered exactly the same symptoms. Reckon I was running on a 50/50 mix. Drained tank & refilled with diesel. Everything ok. If you think you might have put petrol in, drain it PDQ, as diesel lubricates pump - petrol doesn't and replacing pump is expensive. Cheers.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users