Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themagicrat

TDCi juddering - please help

6 posts in this topic

My 2003 TDCi has started juddering. If I'm driving at about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear on a part throttle the car stutters as if it's about to run out of fuel. At motorway speeds or in normal acceleration it's fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks

if its happens at about 1800-2000 rpm the most common cause could be the egr valve getting cloged up. you can remove and clean it out to see if it improves things

if its happens at about 1800-2000 rpm the most common cause could be the egr valve getting cloged up. you can remove and clean it out to see if it improves things

Mine has started to do the same but despite cleaning the EGR it has not cured the fault. I have also changed the throttle pedal thinking it may have had a flat spot since I had to depress it about an inch before the revs build , this had no effect, also the juddering starts at the same spot on the pedal whatever gear/speed. Totally confused <_<

Mine has started to do the same but despite cleaning the EGR it has not cured the fault. I have also changed the throttle pedal thinking it may have had a flat spot since I had to depress it about an inch before the revs build , this had no effect, also the juddering starts at the same spot on the pedal whatever gear/speed. Totally confused <_<

Turned out to be a split in the rubber pipe between the turbo and intercooler quote the mechanic "Its a common fault" once changed the car drives like a dream and is doing more MPG (reduced MPG is another symptom). It is poss to DIY fix

The pedal issue turned out to be a red herring and I wasted a lot of time persuing it.

edit the pipe in question was between the intercooler and the egr

a split in the intercooler pipe is usually leads to a loss of power due to loss of turbo pressure and black smoke. this is not mentoned in the origanal post.

My 2003 TDCi has started juddering. If I'm driving at about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear on a part throttle the car stutters as if it's about to run out of fuel. At motorway speeds or in normal acceleration it's fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Hi. Silly question, but you haven't put petrol instead of diesel in it, have you??? I did and suffered exactly the same symptoms. Reckon I was running on a 50/50 mix. Drained tank & refilled with diesel. Everything ok. If you think you might have put petrol in, drain it PDQ, as diesel lubricates pump - petrol doesn't and replacing pump is expensive. Cheers.