Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Gremlins?

peggysue

Hi,

Always owned MG-Rover group cars and enjoyed and suffered them equally over the years. After a friend bought a ford focus a few years ago and said how reliable it had been I thought why not give them a chance.

Generally loving the car however I have the following fault develope which I am hoping someone can blow the whistle on, I am quite electrically minded and hoping something I can fix.

Car electrics all fine until few days ago. I now have the following "intermittent fault".

When this strange phenomenom occurs all of the following electrical systems dont work

* Dash Board Indicator Lights (external indicators all work fine)

* Dash Board Full Beam indicator Light (again the actual lights work fine)

* Heated Front Windscreen Indicator Light Doesnt Come On (not sure if its actually working or not)

* Reverse Parking Sensors dont work (factory fit)

I've tested all other electrical items and they continue to function fine??

This fault comes and goes as it pleases, whilst in the "fault state" if I do a "test" of the instrument cluster LED's all the LED's are working fine?

Anyone any idea's? I am assuming may be some electrics ECU somewhere to blame? Its in this "fault" state at the moment, was going to try taking the battery off for a few mins see if it clears when reconnected?

Any other suggestions before I go the stealer!

Its a 2006 Focus LX Estate 1.8 tdci

Cheers, hopefully will find this forum as welcoming as MG_Rover.org was!

Can't answer you for sure but proberly a good idea to disconnect the battery for five minutes and reconnect this may clear it , sure I have herd this before somewhere though.

Cheers has been an eye opener as for years I assumed the clicking noise when you indicate was the relay but clearly not as i have no tick tock noise (which I must add is lovely in a ford) when this gremlin appears.

Bizzarre as it comes and goes as it pleases! If i put hazards on the external indicators work but the dashboard still do not (when its in this weird state). I have tried rattling things see if loose connection but then the light test on dash works ok so im assuming its more a "ECU" thing, especially as all the "extra kit" such as the parking sensors and front screen also pack in yet everything else continues ok.

I would check the earth straps while you are at it. Might also be worth getting your head under the dash and make sure all the connections are all pushed home.

Ive not even had a bulb go on my Focus yet and still on the original tyres after 24k miles. So am well pleased with the reliability.

Yes I immediately thought bad ground on the instrument cluster until I found out how to self test the dials and LED's then saw they worked fine on the test eliminating the ground to the lights. Then now I find whilst in this "state" the sensors and screen" disappear also.

Logically in my mind it must be a "computer" thing purely because of the self test working ok.

I would check the earth straps while you are at it. Might also be worth getting your head under the dash and make sure all the connections are all pushed home.

Ive not even had a bulb go on my Focus yet and still on the original tyres after 24k miles. So am well pleased with the reliability.

is there a particular time this happens after its been raining for example sounds like either a wiring issue behind the dash or fuse box wires loose or a dash cluster fault

As mentioned I immediately thought dash cluster, however how would this stop the heated screen and reverse sensors stop working at the same time?

The self tests passes ok also, is their an ECU for the electrical systems on these. I intend to get the cluster out and WD40 the contacts though that said do not see an easy way to get it out?

Loose wire I assumed at first, but I drove home tonight and they were not working. just gone out to "play" and the faults gone agsin? Car hasnt moved an inch.

Its too soon to see if weather has impact, as only started doing it a day or two ago but weather has been dry here for days anyway.

Thanks for the replies

As mentioned I immediately thought dash cluster, however how would this stop the heated screen and reverse sensors stop working at the same time?

The self tests passes ok also, is their an ECU for the electrical systems on these. I intend to get the cluster out and WD40 the contacts though that said do not see an easy way to get it out?

Loose wire I assumed at first, but I drove home tonight and they were not working. just gone out to "play" and the faults gone agsin? Car hasnt moved an inch.

Its too soon to see if weather has impact, as only started doing it a day or two ago but weather has been dry here for days anyway.

Thanks for the replies

its a ford diagnostics im afraid they can test the various sensors independants know how to do it but many dont understand the info the codes are stored in the ecu the diagnostics would pick them up if there are any

It sounds like an instrument cluster failure, the lamps that fail are not checked or controlled by the ecu (they are not driven by the can bus). I would suspect a hairline crack on pcb.

Is the heated front screen indicator on the cluster or combined with the switch ?

Good luck.

D.

Mystery Solved.

Removed and reseated each plug connector plug on the fuse board and it worked. So then removed them one by one until I could replicate my fault. Found the black in question. WD40 and hopefully be end of it!

Guess they must have shared the same block for all cars regardless of whether they had the parking sensors and heated screen.

cheers for your help. Looking forward to making myself home here.

Update.

Fault has not come back so think I got this one nailed!

Been busy tinkering with the car. Replaced intercooler pipe which solved an issue I noticed with black smoke. Internet is great, can save so much money just by using "google" mechanic.

Quick question not just focus specific. Whats the clicking noise from engine bay when you turn ignition off? My old ford connect also did this? Just wondered!

Could be the fan clicking off, you may find that on ocassions when you get out the car, the fan is still on, and you dont hear the click noise.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club