Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Smell Inside Car

Colin T

Recently, about the past 1 week or so, I've been getting an occasional 'funny smell' inside my car (MK1 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec)

The smell is like the smell of 'araldite glue' or 'bodyfiller'

The occasions when this smell occurs appears to be consistent with 'stopping the car' and so far I've noticed the smell at the following times, but not always??

1. Reversing into my driveway, after pulling up and stopping outside my house
  2. Pulling up at a roundabout

Previously, on or around other cars I've smelt 'hot brakes' or clutch burn and this doesn't smell like that kind of smell??

When this happens at home I get out of the car and 'sniff around' to see if I can smell where it's coming from, no joy so far!

I've checked under the bonnet - no smell

I've checked the wheel arches - no smell or 'heat' from the brakes

I've even briefly sniffed near the 'exhaust' - no smell (only normal car fumes)

Any ideas appreciated, hopefully I can find the source of this smell before something breaks or burns out!!

Thanks

you havnt had any parts of the exhaust system changed or repaired ? i had funny smell like that when i got a part of the exhaust changed though the guy in the garage did say it might smell a bit funny for a few days like burning paint or something.

you havnt had any parts of the exhaust system changed or repaired ? i had funny smell like that when i got a part of the exhaust changed though the guy in the garage did say it might smell a bit funny for a few days like burning paint or something.

The smell is just like 'Araldite glue'

Nothing done to the exhaust, only thing that has happened recently:

28th Feb: 2 New tyres fitted to the rear of the car, by National Tyres (I drove car into & out of tyre bay)

24th Feb: clean washer pump filter, I had to remove the front left inner wheel arch (refilled with usual washer additive)

been trying to think where that smell could be coming from and thought about the coil pack, isnt that encased in some sort of epoxy ? just a thought

Just a thought but try the recycle air on a while before you you would normally smell it like before you arrive home and reverse into your drive and keep the vents closed.(fan off) but be careful because the windows will steam up.

Would be intresting to see if it makes any diffrence

Hope you get it sorted soon