Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Column Clonk

paul-eb

Hi all,

I have a clonk when turning the steering wheel,it feels like it might be the column moving slightly. More so when going to full lock, it doesn't appear to affect the steering whilst driving.

I have had this for quite a while.

Has anyone had this problem? and, or found what the fault was, and the cure?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Paul.

Hi,

If you've had this 'clonk' for some time, and you feel it through the steering, I'd strongly urge you to get your front lower ball joints checked...pronto

Thanks Pete for coming back,

The car is over at the local garage for them to have a look.

My Fusion has only done 23,000 miles.

I am hoping it's nothing too serious. Will let you know if they find anything.

Thanks Paul

Hi All,

Well garage reports everything ok?

Can't find any problem, but do admit there is a slight clonk !!!

So back to square one.

Can you tell us when the clonk occurs ?

Is it when you start to turn, on full lock, every revolution of the steering wheel ?

On a previous car I had a worn universal joint on the steering rack which produced some interesting clonks, it took the garage 3 or 4 attempts to find out the source.

Hi Claxxon,

The Clonk occurs occasionaly when turning, not every revolution. It doesn't seem to happen when traveling almost in a straight line with gentle turns and it doesn't happen when the engine is off and the car not moving, i have tried to move the wheel stationary and no clonk!

To me it sounds like a pipe within a pipe sound?

As i say, the car has had a very easy life of gentle driving and has only covered 23000 miles from new on a 57 plate, so i would be supprised if there was much wear.

I guess no one has had this particular problem, so will be interesting to know whats causing it.

Thanks Paul.

I know this sounds like stating the obvious but to me it sounds like ball joints. Even though you've had them checked out, I would try a few things. Jack the car up and rock the wheel back and forward to see if there's any movement. One other thing to watch out for is the front springs. If a spring has cracked it can make a clonk when the car is turning, the problem is that when it lets co completely, the spring can drop on to the tyre and cause a blow out. Guess how I know this ? (Not from my Fusion I hasten to add) Look for one wing of the car sitting a bit lower then the other, look for the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch.

Ok all thanks for all your help.

I have stumbled across the answer !!!

I altered the steering wheel rake angle upwards, drove a little, no Clonk !!

then i returned the steering wheel back close to where it was originally and still no clonk.

I normally drive with the wheel close to its lowest position, whether this had some affect i don't know?

Perhaps something was under tension or compression at the upper end of the column?

Again thanks to all who tried to help.

Paul.