Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt - Timing Belt

Colin T

Is there any way that you can tell the age of a cambelt by visual inspection?

What visual clues to assess the condition of the cambelt would you look for when 'taking a look' at the timing belt?

Relative of previous owner told me that the cambelt was replaced April 2010, but no paperwork.

In view of the 'strange smell' that I'm getting inside my car, I was concerned about cam belt & aux drive belt 'rubbing' on something. Visual check under bonnet, aux belt looks OK, but on taking a sneaky look under the black plastic cover at the top left of engine, over the cam belt, I can see the cam belt looks 'old'

Flat side of cam belt looks like its 'scrubbed' like it's been rubbing ' wearing against something??

No smell but now I'm concerned about the cambelt condition

Well we are back to the age old conundrum "can you trust somebody [or a relative of that somebody] who has told you what it takes to get you to buy a car owned by same or relative of same".

Ask yourself this, if the job was done by a garage would they not issue a reciept? And assuming they would, and assuming anybody having that job done on the car, knowing how important it is to have proof of same when wishing to sell the car at a later date...... In other words the initial concern all but answers its self really!

So you are then left with a decision based on the logic of "Risk versus Reward" In that you weigh the know cost of having the job done, against the likely costs of repairs to the engine if you opt not to have the job done.

IMHO, every thing else is just a matter of opinion give by possibly well meaning [myself included] but unverifiable sources on a public forum.

Well we are back to the age old conundrum "can you trust somebody [or a relative of that somebody] who has told you what it takes to get you to buy a car owned by same or relative of same".

Ask yourself this, if the job was done by a garage would they not issue a reciept? And assuming they would, and assuming anybody having that job done on the car, knowing how important it is to have proof of same when wishing to sell the car at a later date...... In other words the initial concern all but answers its self really!

So you are then left with a decision based on the logic of "Risk versus Reward" In that you weigh the know cost of having the job done, against the likely costs of repairs to the engine if you opt not to have the job done.

IMHO, every thing else is just a matter of opinion give by possibly well meaning [myself included] but unverifiable sources on a public forum.

if theres any doubt change it no reciept thenj i wouldnt trust that it was done what was replaced as you need the whole kit belt and tensioner new bolts etc just a belt wont do i would have it done asap youll find ford will do a full kit and fitting for the same as an independant and only if fitted by ford is the tensioner and belt gauranteed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club