6 replies to this topic

#1 JDFocus

JDFocus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 Zetec 115PS

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi there,

On my Focus MK2 Zetec I have a strange knocking noise coming from the steering when cornering at low speeds.
I've jacked up the car and turned full lock and spun the wheels and there's no knocking! This to me sounds like it
could be a drive shaft problem? Just wondering if anyone else had had a similar problem!

JD

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Could be a number of things, but since you go around corners, you are putting a lot more weight onto the wheel than when you freely spin it. It could be a bearing that only shows under weight, it could be the CV Joint (if thats the right term for it!), could be the drive shaft. when you say knocking would you describe it like putting your phone through the washing machine? irregular at slow speeds? does it present itself when you go round a corner quickly?

#3 JDFocus

JDFocus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

its a bit more of a gentle knocking than a phone in a washing machine! but it seems to be in time with the revolution of the wheels.
you can also hear it very softly when driving at low speeds if the road isn't dead straight.

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Could be a baring I suppose! im no expert so if anyone else has any suggestions, put them in now before I worry JD!

#5 billyboggins

billyboggins

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

hi,its almost certainly the front drop links,you can't move or hear them by hand with the car off the ground but that would be my guess,its a common problem with focus....simple to do and about 15 the pair

#6 JDFocus

JDFocus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for all your help lads, ill pick up a set of those drop links and have a go at changing them!

#7 bt_cav

bt_cav

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2004

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

hi,its almost certainly the front drop links,you can't move or hear them by hand with the car off the ground but that would be my guess,its a common problem with focus....simple to do and about 15 the pair

I agree, Id be surprised if it wasn't the drop links, hope you get them changed ok, keep us posted. :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users