Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Not Working

rendernaut

Hello, My speedo has been a bit flakey lately where is would just suddenly drop to 0 for a while then pick itself back up. Now it seems as though it doesn't want to work at all. The digital trip counter is also not incrementing neither are the miles.

Is there anyway I can fix this?

Regards,

Andrew

Could be the vehicle speed sensor, it's on the rear of the gearbox and a cheap item to replace but awkward to install. It could also the the instrument cluster as there is no milage being displayed. Best to get dtc codes read before doing anything.Clusterpost-9278-0-12054300-1299853085_thumb.jpSpeed sensorpost-9278-0-64795700-1299853195_thumb.jp

Sounds like an issue with the entire instrument cluster. By the looks of your profile, you have a MK1, which I believe had known issues on the instrument cluster! check for any DTC codes, otherwise you may have to visit a dealer.

yeah i heard the same regarding the mk1 focus instrument cluster problem...apparently from what i have read ford dealers are selling new and revised ones for £99, obv that was a while back so they could of changed.

from the same reading i have seen that if you carry out the instrument cluster self diagnoses (a pinned topic on this forum) it will help...if it does a gauge sweep its ok, but if not your busted.

i could be wrong, but like i say, its what i have read on several focus forums.

My Mk1 had the exact same problem as yours. Only the speedo was affected, everything else worked. It had a new VSS and instrument cluster which failed to fix it. It was eventually traced to the VSS cable chafing on the gear linkage, so before you go shelling out £££s for new parts it's worth checking that first.

From what I remember the known problem with the instrument cluster, which was highlighted in the Watchdog programme, affected the whole cluster, all the gauges froze as well as the speedo.

sure I read somewhere a quick fix all be it short term is to give the back of the clocks a spray with wd40 :huh:

try the vvs first as its a cheaper repair let the garage do it as they are known to snap in the gearbox this was the fix for mine.The radio volume went lower also the car did not run smoothly whilst the speedo was not working.

try the vvs first as its a cheaper repair let the garage do it as they are known to snap in the gearbox this was the fix for mine.The radio volume went lower also the car did not run smoothly whilst the speedo was not working.

Yeah, the Automatic Volume Levelling is the giveaway with this, because its linked directly to the VSS, this may be the one thing we can give to Ford, at least its a (fairly) easy diagnosis if the VSS goes!

I've had the same problem with the volume and smooth running at low revs.

I will check the vvs. Thank you!

I've had the same problem with the volume and smooth running at low revs.

I will check the vvs. Thank you!

I have just checked the dash using the diagnosis procedure in the sticky. All the dials work fine and the MPH speed reads correct (when the speedometer works) When the speedo drops to 0 so does the digital dial, does this indicate a problem with the VSS?

How much am I looking at to get the VSS looked at and fixed?

Also my check engine light came on this morning (bottom left amber one). related?

• 1 month later...

From what I remember the known problem with the instrument cluster, which was highlighted in the Watchdog programme, affected the whole cluster, all the gauges froze as well as the speedo

Had this on my 03 plate - as Ford knew about it the replacement cost me £120 compared to the £400+ that it could have done! Also with mine all the warning lights flashed and looked pretty cool even if it was scary x

• 2 months later...

I have just developed a problem with my 2003 Focus Mk1 Instrument Cluster.

The lights work but the gauges work intermittently.

The info here is helpful but I have a couple of questions, what are the VSS and the WS and where do I find the info on the diagnostic test.

I read on another website about holding in the reset button (I assume this is the trip meter reset button) and turning on the ignition.

Is this the test?

When I do this there is no readout on the odometer.

Can anyone help?

I don't know about WS but VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor.

WS as in ws, could just be misinterpreted as capitals V V S together looks like VVS which at first glance could could be WS.

Thanks Mike and Jebowhite. That looks like the correct interpretation.

I found a fix on another forum for the instrument cluster problem. It seems that it is related to damp on the pcb.

I'm not sure how long the fix will work for................... but it does work.

Remove the trim from around the cluster. There are 4 or 5 posidrive screws at the top. The bottom is held by push in studs.

It is a bit tricky to get these out without scratching the cluster front!

There are 4 screws holding the cluster in place, remove these and swing the cluster round.

The white connector on the back has a black locking lever (it's difficult to see how this works).

Pull the lever away from the direction of the cables, over the little block. As this moves it will help push the connecor free.

On the back of the cluster are 2 torx screws and some plastic loops. Remove these and remove the back to expose the pcb.

Spray the pcb with WD40, I used a small brush to spread it over the back and clean the board.

I put the unit in the airing cupbaord overnight, fitted it in the morning and found that it was OK.

If it doesn't work for long it will be easy to replace it, they seem to be available new on the net for about £60.

Better than paying Ford main dealer silly prices! :)

• Like 1

Definately agree, I never really gave any thought to WD40 on a PCB, the idea in itself (spraying a lubricant onto a circuit board) in itself sounds a "mad" idea, but if it works, and doesnt short out, then its a very good fix.

Lesson learned today : fluids and PCB's can work together :)

• 4 weeks later...

Definately agree, I never really gave any thought to WD40 on a PCB, the idea in itself (spraying a lubricant onto a circuit board) in itself sounds a "mad" idea, but if it works, and doesnt short out, then its a very good fix.

Lesson learned today : fluids and PCB's can work together :)

I would advise caution here. Although WD40 is sometimes used for lubrication, it is not strictly a lubricant. In fact in some cases e.g. on chains and bearings, it is likely to flush any lubricant out and therefore should not be used.

In the case of the pcb, I think that it's main function is as a cleaning and water repelant agent. It probably then forms a sealing film to keep further moisture out.

In any case, 3 weeks later the fix is still working so I am hoping that it is permanent.

• 8 years later...

My speedo does the opposite :swings round to higher reading rather than dropping to 0. Sometimes jumpy as well. All other readings on dash seem fine. 

• 6 months later...

Is Ollie Jones around as I've got one for you to repair. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club