31 replies to this topic

#1 poconnor

poconnor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Tdci

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hi,

Recently given a 2005 ford focus 1.6 tdci. Lifted the bonnet up today and measured the oil. The dip stick reads about half a cm over the max mark, now I did notice that the exhaust did pump out a slight blue smoke on a cold start up, this however disapears when driven. I'm assuming that the blue smoke is due to the oil? Could someone please let me know on how to lower the oil level?

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:55 AM

only simple way would be to remove sump plug and refill with new and replace oil filter (to make sure you get it all). personally mine sits just over the max mark, but i measured mine out exactly to manufacturers specs (5.6L) so far no issues and no smoke.

Blue smoke is caused by oil getting into the cylinder, this can be caused by a gasket or O-Ring. please read:
http://www.trustmyme...shoot_smoke.htm

hope this helps,

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,086 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

only simple way would be to remove sump plug and refill with new and replace oil filter (to make sure you get it all). personally mine sits just over the max mark, but i measured mine out exactly to manufacturers specs (5.6L) so far no issues and no smoke.

Blue smoke is caused by oil getting into the cylinder, this can be caused by a gasket or O-Ring. please read:
http://www.trustmyme...shoot_smoke.htm

hope this helps,

not sure about the mk2 but mk1 should be between the 2 marks when cold thats from the ford handbook and just over max when the engines warm

#4 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

aii i checked after bombing from whitby to gateshead, so mine would of been a bit warm...hence being over a little.

#5 poconnor

poconnor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok so the oil isn't a problem which is good news. Thanks for the link, very helpful as I now know the reasons for different colour smoke. Forgot to mention that the car seems to be lagging in power when starting from cold, but as soon as your driving for a couple of minutes, it goes. It's like somethings been building up over night and you can just push through it? I took it to a garage on my way home from work (one I hadn't used before) which was very brief, the guy lifted up the bonnet had a look and said that all I needed were some replacemmt low plugs? Any truth in that? In which case, can I just remove and give them a clean?

Again, thanks

#6 poconnor

poconnor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Sorry *glow* plugs

#7 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

could be there is a test that you can do, removing them and connecting the battery to them and if they glow they are fine.

it could be just the waxing of the diesel and is perfectly normal. i would change the fuel filter to see if this helps you. cheaper option first.

#8 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,086 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Sorry *glow* plugs

diesels tend to be sluggish when cold if you needed glow plugs the car would be hard to start and wont make it sluggish they only work for seconds after the cars started

#9 poconnor

poconnor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

Thanks, will give the filter a check over and replace if need be. The mechanic tried to charge me 25 for each plus 60 labour....... Hmmmmm no thanks.

#10 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,197 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Thanks, will give the filter a check over and replace if need be. The mechanic tried to charge me 25 for each plus 60 labour....... Hmmmmm no thanks.

Did you visit an Aston Martin garage by any chance? or was it a Ford Dealer?

Depending on the mileage will tell if you are going to benefit from new spark plugs. As JohnH said, change the oil filter, because it is a cheap thing to do, and can quite often cause a lot of hassle with no apparent reason.

Also, you may find it beneficial to change the Air Filter. Again, its another cheap resolution.

#11 jmurray01

jmurray01

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: MK1 Ford Focus LX 1.8 in Midnight Blue
  • Year: 2000

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

0.5CM is fine. As long as it isn't more than 2CM over the MAX mark nothing will happen.

Quite a lot of engines pump out a bit of blue-ish smoke when cold, it doesn't usually mean anything is drastically wrong, just that the engine is a bit worn due to millage.

#12 jmurray01

jmurray01

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: MK1 Ford Focus LX 1.8 in Midnight Blue
  • Year: 2000

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

Did you visit an Aston Martin garage by any chance? or was it a Ford Dealer?

Depending on the mileage will tell if you are going to benefit from new spark plugs. As JohnH said, change the oil filter, because it is a cheap thing to do, and can quite often cause a lot of hassle with no apparent reason.

Also, you may find it beneficial to change the Air Filter. Again, its another cheap resolution.

Glow plugs... :lol:

#13 poconnor

poconnor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

115k on the clock so probably the reason, no harm in changng filters though. It's got a mot next month so I'll get them to check over it.

#14 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

if your mechanic is charging 25 per filter and 60 fitting...time to find a different mech.

you can pick all filters for less then a tenner each! from a motor factor such as unipart - not halfords tho.

and they are very easy to do. i'd be more than happy to write out the instructions if you want.

#15 poconnor

poconnor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

Sorry but I meant that the he was charging 25 for each glow plug? I have a haynes manual so I'm sure I can find how to change the filter from there. If not, a description would be very useful. Thank you that and I will let you know how I get on with the haynes.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users