Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Over Max Mark

poconnor

Hi,

Recently given a 2005 ford focus 1.6 tdci. Lifted the bonnet up today and measured the oil. The dip stick reads about half a cm over the max mark, now I did notice that the exhaust did pump out a slight blue smoke on a cold start up, this however disapears when driven. I'm assuming that the blue smoke is due to the oil? Could someone please let me know on how to lower the oil level?

Thanks

only simple way would be to remove sump plug and refill with new and replace oil filter (to make sure you get it all). personally mine sits just over the max mark, but i measured mine out exactly to manufacturers specs (5.6L) so far no issues and no smoke.

Blue smoke is caused by oil getting into the cylinder, this can be caused by a gasket or O-Ring. please read:

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/troubleshoot_smoke.htm

hope this helps,

only simple way would be to remove sump plug and refill with new and replace oil filter (to make sure you get it all). personally mine sits just over the max mark, but i measured mine out exactly to manufacturers specs (5.6L) so far no issues and no smoke.

Blue smoke is caused by oil getting into the cylinder, this can be caused by a gasket or O-Ring. please read:

http://www.trustmyme...shoot_smoke.htm

hope this helps,

not sure about the mk2 but mk1 should be between the 2 marks when cold thats from the ford handbook and just over max when the engines warm

aii i checked after bombing from whitby to gateshead, so mine would of been a bit warm...hence being over a little.

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok so the oil isn't a problem which is good news. Thanks for the link, very helpful as I now know the reasons for different colour smoke. Forgot to mention that the car seems to be lagging in power when starting from cold, but as soon as your driving for a couple of minutes, it goes. It's like somethings been building up over night and you can just push through it? I took it to a garage on my way home from work (one I hadn't used before) which was very brief, the guy lifted up the bonnet had a look and said that all I needed were some replacemmt low plugs? Any truth in that? In which case, can I just remove and give them a clean?

Again, thanks

could be there is a test that you can do, removing them and connecting the battery to them and if they glow they are fine.

it could be just the waxing of the diesel and is perfectly normal. i would change the fuel filter to see if this helps you. cheaper option first.

Sorry *glow* plugs

diesels tend to be sluggish when cold if you needed glow plugs the car would be hard to start and wont make it sluggish they only work for seconds after the cars started

Thanks, will give the filter a check over and replace if need be. The mechanic tried to charge me 25 for each plus 60 labour....... Hmmmmm no thanks.

Thanks, will give the filter a check over and replace if need be. The mechanic tried to charge me 25 for each plus 60 labour....... Hmmmmm no thanks.

Did you visit an Aston Martin garage by any chance? or was it a Ford Dealer?

Depending on the mileage will tell if you are going to benefit from new spark plugs. As JohnH said, change the oil filter, because it is a cheap thing to do, and can quite often cause a lot of hassle with no apparent reason.

Also, you may find it beneficial to change the Air Filter. Again, its another cheap resolution.

0.5CM is fine. As long as it isn't more than 2CM over the MAX mark nothing will happen.

Quite a lot of engines pump out a bit of blue-ish smoke when cold, it doesn't usually mean anything is drastically wrong, just that the engine is a bit worn due to millage.

Did you visit an Aston Martin garage by any chance? or was it a Ford Dealer?

Depending on the mileage will tell if you are going to benefit from new spark plugs. As JohnH said, change the oil filter, because it is a cheap thing to do, and can quite often cause a lot of hassle with no apparent reason.

Also, you may find it beneficial to change the Air Filter. Again, its another cheap resolution.

Glow plugs... :lol:

115k on the clock so probably the reason, no harm in changng filters though. It's got a mot next month so I'll get them to check over it.

if your mechanic is charging £25 per filter and £60 fitting...time to find a different mech.

you can pick all filters for less then a tenner each! from a motor factor such as unipart - not Halfords tho.

and they are very easy to do. i'd be more than happy to write out the instructions if you want.

Sorry but I meant that the he was charging £25 for each glow plug? I have a haynes manual so I'm sure I can find how to change the filter from there. If not, a description would be very useful. Thank you that and I will let you know how I get on with the haynes.

ah right my bad, for misunderstanding lol

yeah the haynes is all good and will tell you all you need. a note tho when it comes to fuel filter, make sure the rubber seal is sitting in the recess on the filter housing i discovered that if you dont do this it lets air in and you will not be able to start the car. the is also self priming.

Have they finally brought out a Haynes Manual for the Mk2 Focus? I thought it was only for the Mk1.

Edit: out of interest could somebody tell me what time stamp is showing for this post when they read it. As I have my PC clock set to GMT+1.00 [berlin time] I see 5.06pm. I'm only interested in knowing so I know the time other posters post their input.

Thanks

Why GMT+1.00.............don't ask B)

yeah its been out for a while lol got one in my posession but the black and white piccies are not the best.

Diesel haynes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focus-Diesel-Service-Repair-Manual/dp/1844258076/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300220984&sr=1-4

Petrol haynes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focus-Petrol-Service-Repair-Manual/dp/1844257851/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300220984&sr=1-3

its says on the DTS posted today, 4.06pm

well I never....knew that.

its says on the DTS posted today, 4.06pm

That's funny because that is when it was posted, and that is what I'm seeing now on the DTS, so in that sense it is correct. But it did show 5.06pm at the time I posted it, which it would as far as my PC was concerned. But obviously having closed my browser and reconnected to the forum again it is showing actual time I last posted.

Ehup Edit: I having just made this post, it is now showing my last post as being at 5.06pm and this one at 11.44pm. :unsure:

Edit again: Obviously on visiting the forum but prior to logging on it shows the correct DTS. It obviously only shows the DTS as being an hour later when I log in, and it then records a time compatible to my PC time settings. Right that's that understood as far as I'm concerned...I can now move on :D

Was the haynes manual originally in colour then? This is the first one I have owned...

I have that problem with my pc, when I reply to a post it shows a completely different time to when I check it later....

Glow plugs... :lol:

LOL, it was one of those days, I new it was diesel, I knew it should have been a glow plug, but my fingers where on a different frequency altogether... :P

As for the Haynes, all manuals are in black and white, mainly because the cost of producing the manual in colour would mean that they have to pass on the charge to us. Printing in colour is a lot more expensive than black and white, because the printers they use, are probably the same ones that were used from the original Haynes Manual, and they probably didnt even know colour existed!

As for the focus MK2 manual, I believe it was out from about October 2005, could be wrong though...

Anyway, the mileage you have done and the plugs you have are probably the originals, maybe one change in there lifetime, so to get 50,000 miles out of them (or possibly more) they have done well. If you can change them yourself, then give it a go, they are *fairly* cheap.

I decided that if I cant move away from my focus, I am going to do a massive overhaul on the engine / exhaust / fuel system, and will replace pretty much everything I can see for a new part, just to increase the MPG, since the government have decided that they now have to sleep with at least one of my family pets, as well as charge me a ransom to top up one tank of fuel... Sorry went a little off topic there...

Was the haynes manual originally in colour then? This is the first one I have owned...

No always black and white as Jeeb said. I had one for my Volvo S40 but sold it on the Volvo forum for a tenner when I PX'ed the Volvo. Then on buying my current Focus back in October 09, there was only the Mk1 Focus ones available, so in that instance Jeeb was wrong :P

Seriously, I was reading the Amazon posted reviews for this newer addition to the Haynes library. And every body who already owned a Haynes manual are slagging this Mk2 one as being printed on poor quality recycled paper. Hence the print can run off the pages if it comes into contact with fluids, and the photo's lack detail due to the poor quality of paper. plus the MK1 manual had 400 pages where as the Mk2 only has 288

I must say I could have been tempted to buy one on the strength of the quality of the Volvo offering I purchased. But if Haynes think I'm buying crap they can go swivel :rolleyes: As a company it amazes me, it's spent years building a reputation only to destroy it in a misguided attempt to make more profit. When the reality is it will most likely result in less profit on the bottom line.

It's easier to build a good reputation from nothing, than it is to retrieve a good reputation gone bad ...............another pearl of wisdom, remember it and profit by it :ph34r:

I have that problem with my pc, when I reply to a post it shows a completely different time to when I check it later....

Right click > Desktop tool bar, bottom left on the displayed time.

On the displayed context menu left click > Adjust Time and Date

Then > Left click > Time Zone tab and scroll and select [GMT} Greenwich Mean Time: Dublin..... London

Tick the box > automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes.

Then left click > Apply then OK tabs and that's the job done.

like the others said, I don't see a problem with half a cm over the full mark on the dip stick [as long as it does not increase over time] Some Volvo's and Mazda's suffered from fuel contamination of the sump oil which could lead to the car "Self Fuelling" and lubricant breakdown due to fuel contamination of same But that is not your problem, because from the lack of feed back on the linked to thread, Fords do not seem to have suffered from their sister company problems.

Just out of idle interest given that you said

Hi, Recently given a 2005 ford focus 1.6 tdci.

I was looking at the private buyer valuation for a 05 reg 1.6 TDCi LX 115k on the clock [not knowing the details of your motor]and it came in at £3,650.........who's been a lucky boy or girl then, if given was indeed the operative word :D

I have a feeling this thread has gone somewhat off topic :lol:

And just as I said that it has gone back on topic! Oh me!