Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Egr Valve Help

tazz786

Hi all.

Really need help with this problem. My car seems to smoke alot. Even when the car is warm. Ive read about it and seems its most proberley my egr valve. Just wanted to know if there is any way of cleaning it or will it need replacing. Ive looked all over sheffield for a replacment but no one seems to have one. So if i could clean it myself maybe and save abit of money would really help. If i can can somebody tell me how hard it is to do so. If any knows anyway to help me let me know.

Its a focus mk1 1.8 tdi btw

Thanks

Have a look at this video on youtube, it explains what's involved. It should help to improve your egr if planning on doing it yourself.

Have a look at this video on youtube, it explains what's involved. It should help to improve your egr if planning on doing it yourself.

Hi H3lly, maybe its just me but I didnt see a hyperlink in there for the video?

Thanks for the replys people. Just managed to watch the vid and it looks very easy.. Does any one know whats the best spray to do this. Also should it do the trick. seems so simply?

thanks

Right will have to see if i can find it then. Didnt know if they sold it in england or not lol

Hi Trying this out for myself. I too have a 1.8 tdci. Tried everywhere near to me to get Wynns egr cleaner, but ordered some yesterday off E-bay. Got the cleaner,plus some fuel additive for £11.95 plus postage. Hope it works for you, as well as me. Will let you know how i get on. Good luck

Forgive me if im being a plank, But is an EGR something that only a diesel engine would have? Or is my 1.8 Petrol Zetec likely to have this feature (MK1)

Hi cressws1 - Yes EGR is only related to the diesel engine, the reason is (from my understanding) that the exhaust gasses are recirculated to the engine, and therefore can reduce the amount of Oxygen required for the combustion sequence, this makes it easier for the engine to work as the operating temperature of the engine has been reduced.

Hope this is somewhat along the right lines, any corrections will be happily recieved!

Thanks guys. Can you send me the link for eBay where you ordered the egr cleaner please. Might order it from there myself if i can.

Hi Tazz786. No problem mate I.E. link on e-bay.

Wynns egr3 air inlet/intake egr valve cleaner and DP3. Item No 320659572015.

Seller Jam100673

let us know how you get on....am gona be attempting this on my MK2 2.0TDCI as soon as i have time!

Thanks mate. Going to go to a few shops tonight and if i cant find it ill order that. Think ill make a video while i do it aswel for you all

Hi cressws1 - Yes EGR is only related to the diesel engine, the reason is (from my understanding) that the exhaust gasses are recirculated to the engine, and therefore can reduce the amount of Oxygen required for the combustion sequence, this makes it easier for the engine to work as the operating temperature of the engine has been reduced.

Hope this is somewhat along the right lines, any corrections will be happily recieved!

dont know about fords but an EGR valve is not just for a diesel engine. plenty of petrol engines have them, my old mk1 focus 1.6 didnt have one

Petrol and diesel turbo engines have EGR valves in most cases, regarding the wynnes egr cleaner from eBay i can vouch for this stuff i have used it myself on my focus on my dads peaugeot 206 (both cars turbo diesels)and it works a treat.

Hi all,

Ive finally managed to get the spray at a shop called bullseye. Going to do this after work tomorrow now. Just one last question. While im spraying it do i need to rev the car? i think thats what there doing while spraying?

Thanks

Yes i think its a two man job. If you look at the E-bay link i sent you above, there are some instructions on there. Will look on here tomorrow night to see how you get on. Mine came today, but will have a go at it on saturday weather permitting. Good luck!

Ok just looked at the instructions on the advert on E-bay. They are as follows.

Start engine, and run till warm

Set engine to run at 2000 rpm

Spray in short intervals

IMPORTANT, if revs increase whilst spraying, reduce revs to idle

Rpm, and diesel knocking can increase during pulverisation

After each pulverisation, wait for revs to settle

Continue till all the 200mlare consumed

Let the engine run at idle for a few minutes

Turn off engine

Re-attach hose

Re-start engine

After this idling period accelerate the engine 5 to 10 times, or drive for 5 to 10 km

DO NOT EXEED 3000 RPM.

Hope this helps

Very useful instructions, I thought that the EGR had to be removed, but if it can stay in, even a simpleton like me could do it! good stuff as my MPG is getting a bit crappy now so I will see about trying this!

Maybe we should have a thread tutorial on everything you can do to improve the engine efficiency, everything from the bog basics to the likes of this...

If I do decide to keep my car by the end of the weekend then I will probably blister my car with everything I have and then write up a full thread on it!

• Like 1

it seems as simple as take hose off and spray whole can in while giving the engine a bit of a rev...let us know how you get on tazz, am waiting with waiting with baited breath to see if it goes ok and if you encounter any issues!

Thanks all. I will update you all later about this now then. Everything is ready just wanting to finish work so once ive completed it ill post some pics and let you all know if its made any difference. Thanks for all your advice been really helpful

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club