Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Focus Engine Sounds Like A Diesel At Idle

suddste

and what do you think is best? Should I take it to Ford's or use the small garage down the road? The thing is by taking it to Ford's I would have thought they would know a bit more about the problem as the garage will take any car and not nessesarily a Ford

and what do you think is best? Should I take it to Ford's or use the small garage down the road? The thing is by taking it to Ford's I would have thought they would know a bit more about the problem as the garage will take any car and not nessesarily a Ford

I would say take it to Ford, they know the cars better than anyone else, and can tell you if there was any problem with that year vehicle, so could say "well, if you dont drive the car for a minimum of 50 miles per month, where 10 of those are in one go, the gem board melts with boredom", local indies are good, but they are a jack of all trades - master of none! (or at least the majority are!)

I would say take it to Ford, they know the cars better than anyone else, and can tell you if there was any problem with that year vehicle, so could say "well, if you dont drive the car for a minimum of 50 miles per month, where 10 of those are in one go, the gem board melts with boredom", local indies are good, but they are a jack of all trades - master of none! (or at least the majority are!)

haha ok, i'll take it to Ford's in May

what is a gem board!?

haha ok, i'll take it to Ford's in May

what is a gem board!?

Good Question! I dont know the ins and outs of it but its related to the power system and smart charge on the Focus. thats about all I know on the matter!

Good Question! I dont know the ins and outs of it but its related to the power system and smart charge on the Focus. thats about all I know on the matter!

haha ok

the story continues....

I'm really not sure it's the motor mounts... as on the internet it says that mostly a motor mount will give vibrations through the body as well, which I never get, I just see the engine in the engine block vibrate...but then I hear this rattling sound which looks like it's because it's vibrating. I asked someone to look at the engine bay for me while I push the accelerator and they say it vibrated less when the rev's were increased.

I don't know what to do or what it could be. Dont really want to take it in for a service as all seems normal when it is not idling.

Any help? As this problems really not making my life very easy right now...I have OCD and it's bad because I worry badly about things like this.

Vibration is normal, however it could be the flywheel thats causing an inbalance. But im certainly no expert when it comes to the engine and its physical properties, Im more of an interior / combustion man as its easier to understand! (Very bizarre I know!)

In all honesty I get some vibration on my car, if I rev the car to about 17-1800 revs, there is a vibration if I hold it there, and then when I rev below or beyond that it settles itself. I think every engine will have its own little rev pool where it will cause some vibration, but I mainly felt it in my back and through my feet, as it wasnt like the car was shaking.

Is it only when idling that it vibrates? and if you sit in your engine, and slowly increase the revs by ~100 for a short period, do you find there is a cut off when the vibrations settle?

Vibration is normal, however it could be the flywheel thats causing an inbalance. But im certainly no expert when it comes to the engine and its physical properties, Im more of an interior / combustion man as its easier to understand! (Very bizarre I know!)

In all honesty I get some vibration on my car, if I rev the car to about 17-1800 revs, there is a vibration if I hold it there, and then when I rev below or beyond that it settles itself. I think every engine will have its own little rev pool where it will cause some vibration, but I mainly felt it in my back and through my feet, as it wasnt like the car was shaking.

Is it only when idling that it vibrates? and if you sit in your engine, and slowly increase the revs by ~100 for a short period, do you find there is a cut off when the vibrations settle?

haha ah yeh, and yeah but isnt your car a Diesel engine? I heard they vibrate more as they are diesel. The thing is that the car doesnt sound like it used to when I bought it. Thats whats worrying me, but nothing seems different at all apart from engine rattling. I remember a lot of months back the steering wheel vibrated, but thats stopped and hasnt come back. The sounds do seem to go at anything above 1000RPM.

I should probably let this thread die, but I just opened the bonnet and tried moving the engine block to see if it would at least move slightly. It didnt even move one bit, i'm not sure if this can still mean the engine mounts are bad, but im guessing it's a good sign.

I heard it could be a spark plug/injector. could it be this or something related?

Never heard of the spark plug / injector itself doing this, however if it causes a misfire that will disturb the balance of the performance, as its going to judder the crankshaft because its not going to have four balanced movements, it will have three balanced and one that skips along because its forced to...

I think the Diag PC at your local dealer, should detect anything like this, dont think any DTC codes are raised, but it could be worth a look...

Never heard of the spark plug / injector itself doing this, however if it causes a misfire that will disturb the balance of the performance, as its going to judder the crankshaft because its not going to have four balanced movements, it will have three balanced and one that skips along because its forced to...

I think the Diag PC at your local dealer, should detect anything like this, dont think any DTC codes are raised, but it could be worth a look...

I have checked using the dashboard trick, though and it shows nONE for stored DTC's

I have checked using the dashboard trick, though and it shows nONE for stored DTC's

That doesnt surprise me, my DTC didnt record air in the fuel filter, so I predict a trip to the dealer anytime soon, however johnH I believe is buying the WDS device so maybe a round trip to gateshead will be cheaper! lol

That doesnt surprise me, my DTC didnt record air in the fuel filter, so I predict a trip to the dealer anytime soon, however johnH I believe is buying the WDS device so maybe a round trip to gateshead will be cheaper! lol

lol hmm yeah, i'll wait till it's service in May, though, nothing seems different at all

Good Idea, but they will still charge you the diag fee ;)

Good Idea, but they will still charge you the diag fee ;)

thx jeebowhite for the posts

UPDATE: Started the car and let the rev's go down to warm idle today.

The engine vibrates a lot more when it starts hitting the 700rpm range, rather than just after start, around 1,100rpm. This could suggest it's not a misfire condition?

yeah im saving my pennies...all £400 of them lol will keep you posted.

yeah im saving my pennies...all £400 of them lol will keep you posted.

do you have the same problem as me john H?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club