Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Tuning Boxes

mross

Hi Guys

I have been thinking recently i could do with a bit more power and torque on my focus 2.0 tdci 136bhp, has anyone used or are currently using one of these diesel tuning boxes, you see them on eBay alot. I know a remap is by far the best thing to do but its expensive and alot of hassle if i needed to ever put it back to original format, where as these diesel tuning boxes are plug n play and alot cheaper and say they can boost my cars bhp to about 160, i am a bit dubious so wanted to ask if anyone has owned one or is currently using one and does it really give you more torque and power with out !Removed! up anything.

Thanks Guys,

from what ive heard the boxes are very dodgy and not worth the hassle. best bet is to save up and get it remapped properly mate

Ok thanks for that, your right i know a remap is really the only option was just curious i guess. Thanks again

Celtic Tuning are meant to be very good ( http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/Default.aspx) ....they recently remapped my mates 2.2CTDI Honda Civic and its ace...has taken it from 138BHP to 193BHP and 252 lb/ft of torque to 292 ib/ft of torque. its really noticeable to. I didnt believe it would have much of an effect but it really does. Plus if hes really careful on the throttle he can get his MPG up over 70 on decent motorway runs. Plus they let him keep the original map so if has any issues can just put the original software back on:-)

Celtic quote that they can up our model of Focus to 186BHP and 321 lb/ft of torque! i am tempted but have other things to sort out first:-(

Celtic Tuning are meant to be very good ( http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/Default.aspx) ....they recently remapped my mates 2.2CTDI Honda Civic and its ace...has taken it from 138BHP to 193BHP and 252 lb/ft of torque to 292 ib/ft of torque. its really noticeable to. I didnt believe it would have much of an effect but it really does. Plus if hes really careful on the throttle he can get his MPG up over 70 on decent motorway runs. Plus they let him keep the original map so if has any issues can just put the original software back on:-)

Celtic quote that they can up our model of Focus to 186BHP and 321 lb/ft of torque! i am tempted but have other things to sort out first:-(

193 bhp n 292 ib/fb wow Thats impressive, will defo check them out later, thanks for that i have decided to go for the remap one way or another now, will let u know the out come :-)

Ok thanks for that, your right i know a remap is really the only option was just curious i guess. Thanks again

Im going to vouch in favour of the Tuning Boxe's. I dont own one, however being a member of a Kia forums, there was a long drawn discussion for the benefits of the remap / tuning boxes.

Tuning boxes are not that much hassle, they are plug and play, they can be varied in settings, and they can be easily removed and plugged back in under any circumastance.

Speaking to some Kia Cee'd owners, they advise that they have used the likes of the Diesel Tuning Express box, they got an excellent response in power under the right setting and an improvement in MPG. for the benefits of retaining there 7 year warranty, they can remove the Tune Boxes before a trip to the garage, and no evidence of the device ensures that there warranty is upheld.

Remap is a very good way to go, however is expensive, very much detectable, and will cause your premium to increase on report to your insurance. Some who use Tuning boxes, do not notify there insurance company, but then can remove the device in instance of an accident, and with no trace of the unit, they could still have there insurance valid (dishonest as it may be it does happen!).

Tuning Boxes just trick the ECU into injecting more or less fuel, it can offer great benefit to torque at low revs, and can provide a very good gain of power. Also, Tuning boxes from DTUK (I believe this is the one) can then be sent back at time of replacing a vehicle, and for a modest fee of circa £50, they will reconfigure it for whatever vehicle you have just purchased, therefore the tuning box can be transferrable, unlike the remap.

Im not intending on getting either Remap or Tune Box anytime soon, and maybe will consider it in the future, but both do have there advantages, and both are simple enough to get on with. Installation of a remap is a trip to a garage, installation of a tune box is to pop the bonnet, plug it in, and removal is just as easy and quick.

Also the cost of tune box over remap can also be very beneficial. it really depends what you want oout the car!

So dont go giving up on the tunebox just yet, consider your options, and find the benefits of both. I would however strongly advise against the "Drake" Tuning box, after reviews from another forum, indicate that the item is not always good, the service he recieved was apalling, and contacting them was very difficult. So if you do go TuneBox - go UK!

Hope this is of some help

Hi Guys

Just thought to give a little feed back as i have after much thought i purchased a tuning box from eBay with a full money back guarantee if not satisfied with the product i just couldn't resist giving it a go just to see if they are any good or not as i know i can get a refund if needed, it cost £95.99 including p+p and is called TDI Tuning box, its been on the car for two days now and im glad i took the chance because it is very very good, i didn't think the engine in my car was rough at all to begin with but now this thing is on it is silky smooth in idling acceleration and absolutely no flat spots at all it just keeps on pulling throughout the entire rev range and that's not to mention the increase in the power and torque which was instantly noticeable, i am well pleased with this product and i will not be returning it that's for sure.

ps: its not been on the car long enough to notice any mpg improvements or not as im monitoring it at the mo , but to be honest i really dont care :-)

do you have a link by any chance?

Hi,

I have been looking to get something done to my car too, its a 1.6 TDCI and while its nippy enough I really want something with a bit more power at lower revs.

I can't really decide between a remap or a tuning box. I Would notify my insurance company regardless of what I got, would either void the warranty though?

Hi,

I have been looking to get something done to my car too, its a 1.6 TDCI and while its nippy enough I really want something with a bit more power at lower revs.

I can't really decide between a remap or a tuning box. I Would notify my insurance company regardless of what I got, would either void the warranty though?

Technically both would, as its a modification, that is technically putting more wear and tear on the engine parts. with a tuning box, if you need to take the car in, you just unplug it from the engine block, drive your car in - no one knows the difference (as far as Ford is Concerned!) thus, warranty is safe! with a remap, you can tell when the ECU has been flashed!

Mross, I'm glad you took the dive, the TDI Tuning box is a very good product from what I have read on the Kia forums! Its a cheap modification and it can make quite a difference!

the Tuning boxes merely trick your ECU into injecting a little more (or less setting dependant) fuel into the engine to play with, and thats why you get the benefit, as long as you dont max out the tuning box you will be putting very little additional pressure on the engine and turbo!

I hope you get a good run out of the tuning box, and I would recommend them to anyone (but coming from someone who doesnt own one but has done a lot of ressearch into them!)

Well it would be a worthwhile comparison test, if anybody who is thinking of buying the linked to Tuning Box. To first do a "brimmed" Tank Test and note the actual fuel used to miles covered, prior to brimming the tank again. Then fit "the box" and run until it needs brimming again, record mileage covered and fuel used.

It's definitely the way I would approach it, as I like definitive proof of claims made by others. I mean if its just over fueling the car, it could possibly lead to the problem something like that experienced by some diesel owners. Whereby the lubricating oil in the sump becomes contaminated, leading to excessive wear of engine components.

johnH I'm thinking of you in particular as "forum tester" in this instance, obviously that is if your tempted to buy one. As I reckon you like me, like to prove stuff like that.

yeah im thinking about it...but yeah a comparison test of such mpg and 0-62mph is in order i reckons if i do. i love it when people say it cannot be done, like hell, it can lol

Technically both would, as its a modification, that is technically putting more wear and tear on the engine parts. with a tuning box, if you need to take the car in, you just unplug it from the engine block, drive your car in - no one knows the difference (as far as Ford is Concerned!) thus, warranty is safe! with a remap, you can tell when the ECU has been flashed!

Mross, I'm glad you took the dive, the TDI Tuning box is a very good product from what I have read on the Kia forums! Its a cheap modification and it can make quite a difference!

the Tuning boxes merely trick your ECU into injecting a little more (or less setting dependant) fuel into the engine to play with, and thats why you get the benefit, as long as you dont max out the tuning box you will be putting very little additional pressure on the engine and turbo!

I hope you get a good run out of the tuning box, and I would recommend them to anyone (but coming from someone who doesnt own one but has done a lot of ressearch into them!)

Hi Jeebowhite

Yes matey well pleased with it, i hardly have to touch the accelerator and it pulls with ease, just like i was on half throttle before. After four days or so i can already see the MPG has got better, not by much but still its better about 4 MPG to what it was before (driving normally of course), i couldn't resist flooring it the other day though just to see how it behaves on full throttle and i can tell you it was unbelievable with no smoke what so ever, im glad i did some research before i bought one of these boxes as there is allot of variation of these things out there and things could have been very different, as you know the digital/constant real time monitoring boxes are the best as they adapt to your driving style where as others just pump in more fuel regardless. I have the box set smack in the middle not for full performance or not for pure economy so its about right i think and doesn't put too much strain on any other components, so if any one is thinking of going for one of these boxes i can strongly recommend TDI tuning.

Good Stuff! Research is always necessary when it comes to these, but for what you have got for the amount you paid, it seems you got a gread deal of value for money!

Hi Jeebowhite

Thanks for your advice and info at the start of this thread, to be honest if you hadn't have said what you did which prompted me to think on i probably would have gone for a remap at nearly three times the price i paid, don't get me wrong im not knocking remaps it just so happened that one of these boxes was the best option for me, so thanks again mate.

Glad I could help. Its good to see I have the ocassional nugget of useful information ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'd just like to add my Tuning box experience. I own an 07 Fusion 1.6 TDCI but wanted more power thought of a remap but was too expensive so I purchased a box from eBay, called a Drake Box2.

The box gives 10 settings ranging from mild increase to insane!!

0 - alters the top end torque only

1 - 7 over all increase in power and fuel economy

8 - 9 power over economy massive increase in power, fuel economy less than original, but WOW!!

On setting 9, my 1.6 diesel torque steers, yes thats right torque steers. I can out pull a standard 2.2 TDCI mondeo ST.

Ford Power increase tables from Drake Tuning

In-case your wondering if those levels have had a detrimental effect on the engine, well Ive been running the box for nearly two years now and frankly the engine has been totally trouble free. Every service it comes backs no problem and the emissions tests are also normal even on the higher settings.

They also do as an optional extra a wireless key fob to turn the box on and off remotely.

here's the links Main website

Power increase tables

hope that helps

Rich

I have heard bad things about Drake, so it seems you had a good box, as far as I am aware though, drake are based in Italy. Someone I know of who has dealt with them had major problems, ranging from a faulty product that kept knocking out the engine, to less than poor communication from the Customer service.

On the other hand, DTUK I have heard nothing but good things for!

the way insurance is going through the roof, sometimes it makes you wonder if the extra premium for the box is worth it.

hi i have the celtic tuneing emotion box for my focus 1.6 tdci and its very good gone from 110 bhp to 148 bhp its a remap progream on a box cost me £395 and can remove it when i want and can use the box as a code reader and found a coupple of codes that the dash bord trick didnt i would recomend it to any one and they do it next day delivery and there customer service is very good p.s got the economy map but car is alot faster ;)

I have heard bad things about Drake, so it seems you had a good box, as far as I am aware though, drake are based in Italy. Someone I know of who has dealt with them had major problems, ranging from a faulty product that kept knocking out the engine, to less than poor communication from the Customer Service.

On the other hand, DTUK I have heard nothing but good things for!

I guess its all down to experience with any product. I have had NO trouble at all, I am very pleased with it. I can't comment on the customer service but their instructions to fit were good.

Ill keep people posted with any thing that crops up

mintalkin, insurance goes up anyway, and some people have only been quoted an additional £10 to the premium price to notify the insurer that they are using a tune box, some deals could be worth it. others though, may charge through the roof for it, then you are definately right, and its not worth the hassle.

Brian, sounds like a good piece of kit. I do miss diesel purely for the fact I cant whack a tune box on my car, but your kit as a combined code reader is a brilliant idea!

d_der, it could well be that the person I know was a one off victim to the companies bad week!

If I read correctly, arent they selling only to the trade? shame if you just want one, and no one near or far who is selling them!