Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Tuning Boxes

mross

I am interested in this easy tuning. Have you installed the power box yourself?

I do have Focus 1.6 TDCi 90hp and found that the common rail sensor is quite in a tricky place behind the engine.

Would be happy to hear about your installation experience.

welcome along!

I personally havent installed one, come to think of it, dont think I have even looked for the port for that matter, might have to take a look at some point.

Have a look here : http://vtechtuning.eu/installation-instructions.html

they seem to have some excamples of how to install it!

Thanks, I checked out that site.

Unfortunately the photo gives just an idea where to start searching.

The sensor plug is behind the engine about 12 inches down from the top and not visible if you look ablove.

I would be happy to hear if there is some trick how to plug off the connector (without removing battery + battery case)

Will keep on trying ;)

Strange none of them gaurantee they wont damage the engine ..from what i know from the vw there are safety parameters built into the ecu these are over done a remap unlocks this extra power safely keeping within manufacturers tolerances so no extra stress or wear, a tuning box simply removes these tolerances altogether stating the ecu will take over to prevent damage however if the ecu doesnt even recognise the extra fuelling how would it know? doing this increases wear and stress .

the general rule was as you say get a reputable manufacturer but even they make no formal gaurantee also the mpg isnt correct the ecu doesnt recognise the extra fuel so thats not calculated in the mpg.. dyno tests on the seat and vw forums show they dont dyno anywhere near the claimed amount stated but are quicker and smoother tdi tuning like others use cheap analogue boxes really a proper digital one would be better and its possible to tell if youve had one plugged in so its up to the individual you get cheap power some have used them for years with no issues others no end of issues so its a risk

Strange none of them gaurantee they wont damage the engine from what i know from the vw there are safety parameters built into the ecu these are over done a remap unlocks this power safely keeping within manufacturers tolerances so no extra stress or wear a tuning box simply removes these tolerances altogether stating the ecu will take over to prevent damage however doing this increases wear and stress the general rule was as you say get a reputable manufacturer but even they make no formal gaurantee also the mpg isnt correct the ecu doesnt recognise the extra fuel so thats not calculated in the mpg dyno tests on the seat and vw forums show they dont dyno anywhere near the claimed amount stated but are quicker tdi tuning use cheap analogue boxes really a proper digital one would be better and its possible to tell if youve had one plugged in so its up to the individual you get cheap power some have used them for years with no issues others no end of issues so its a risk

I ran a tuning box for years with no problems, and now i run a bluefin remap, on the same car, it still has its original injectors etc

I ran a DTUK digital box, with a custom remote adjustor (to turn the "juice" up/ down) it was set up/ optimised on track, to get the maximum acceleration times (in gear/ 0-60/0-100 etc) but without putting the injectors/ pumps etc under undue stress

The bluefin remap is on its 3rd revision, "customised" by Superchips, the original had a lot less bottom end power/ torque compared to the tuning box, but more top end power/ revs, Superchips were very helpful, and now with the 3rd revision- it has almost the same bottom end/ low lag as the tuning box but better power in the band/ at the top end - the car is really flying (plenty power for safe overtaking :) )

Tuning boxes come in all "shapes and sizes" and prices, from £7 resistor "eBay specals" to £500 digital multi - map boxes

Ultimately a tuning box does the same thing as a remap - chucks more fuel in to make the car faster, you even get a type of map called a "tuning box remap" because it increases the fuel pressure like a tuning box remap

A "remmaper" may be a guy that knows nothing about cars/ tuning, with a laptop, and some generic maps bought online that he sticks on the car, with no after sales if it all goes wrong, its been known that some cars would not even start after a "remap" or a "smokescreen" came out of the exhaust, or the car was slower than it was before, etc etc

There are obviously reputable remappers, with rolling roads/ dynos that have good reputation and been around for years, of course

Tuning boxes may connect to the fuel pressure rail, the MAF sensor, the MAP sensor or even the turbo boost actuator (one or more of these)

The cheap ones may be just a resistor with a couple of wires that connect to the MAF , the slightly-less-cheap are the same thing in a nicer box and the right connectors The expensive ones may have their own littile microprossers (computers) in them, and various programmable maps, they may be set up sepecifically for certain cars/ engines

So comparing a £7 tuning box to a £400/ £500 tuning box and generically referring to them as "tuning boxes" (they are not all the same) - Its a bit like saying "cars are rubbish" when someone shows you brand new Mercedes S- class, because you used to own a rusty old Corsa and take the train now

Talking of Mercedes, Brabbus make tuning boxes for Mercedes, they are expensive and you can fit them to a new merc, and the car is still fully covered by its warrantee/ is fully insured etc, apparently (a bit like Mountune/ Ford)

if im honest only dtuk was considered as a reputable supplier on other forums

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information guys. I am in a similar situation having a choice between a remap and a tuning box. Leaning more and more towards a tuning box due to the ability to remove it when required and also before selling the car in the future.

Autoremap here in Ireland offer tuning boxes and I think I am going to go for that. They also do remaps and that's where I was thinking of getting it. Reliable and recommended by others on the Bmw forums. I will post an update once I get it organised.

I have had my tuning box installed now for few weeks and the setting used is quite moderate. My target with tuning box was lower diesel consumption and some increase in torgue/power in this order.

I have been quite satisfied with the results. The consumption is remarkably lower now (according to computer) and there is a clear boost in acceleration compared without box.

I will soon go for holiday trip about 2500 km's that will be a good possibility to test the "real" average fuel consumption.

I calculated that with my mileage 100% ROI (including the interest) will be achieved in less than 10 months.

• Like 2

I have had my tuning box installed now for few weeks and the setting used is quite moderate. My target with tuning box was lower diesel consumption and some increase in torgue/power in this order.

I have been quite satisfied with the results. The consumption is remarkably lower now (according to computer) and there is a clear boost in acceleration compared without box.

I will soon go for holiday trip about 2500 km's that will be a good possibility to test the "real" average fuel consumption.

I calculated that with my mileage 100% ROI (including the interest) will be achieved in less than 10 months.

Thats exellent - it pays for itself by 10 months AND you get better acceleration!

That is exactly what I was looking for. Where did you get the tuning box from and how much was it please?

Autoremap quoted me €275 for a tuning box that they get made in Germany. But other than having sold about 300 of them with no reported faults, I have no other information so far. I am one of those people that need to research a product loads before commiting to buy :P

• 2 weeks later...

That is exactly what I was looking for. Where did you get the tuning box from and how much was it please?

Autoremap quoted me €275 for a tuning box that they get made in Germany. But other than having sold about 300 of them with no reported faults, I have no other information so far. I am one of those people that need to research a product loads before commiting to buy :P

Hi Hassen,

I tend to be quite analytical and calculate before any purchase (in my own opinion :D) of technical and all kind of gear.

The tuning box I do have is Racechip: http://www.racechip.de/en/chiptuning/ford/focus/2-da3/1-6-tdci-66kw/index.php

the basic model which was 129€ . I am very happy with the technical service answering my questions promptly and when I asked about the installation they send me additional info material and even voluntarily told that my engine is one of most complicated one to install the box and asked if I still want to order!

I appreciated this kind of honesty and non-power sales attitude which finally convinced me about their product.

About my experience: Just came back from my holiday trip (about 2250 km) with 2 person and one week luggage, from Lapland (Finland) and I am very happy with the fuel economy and performance of engine now.

According the computer the average consuption was 3.9 l/100km and average speed 82 km/h (the winter speed limit in Finland is 80/100 km/h). That is about 0.8 l less per 100 km than before. I drove mainly with cruise set to 105-107 km/h with GPS and using Q-series M+S tyres (without studs).

Difference in power was also remarkable especially when overtaking other cars. The acceleration with 4th gear from 80 to 120 km/h was clearly improved and I consider that as better safety especially when overtaking 22-m trailers.

Resonance, the box I got from Autoremap is from Race chip and is the basic one I think. It was an absolute nightmare to get to the common rail sensor plug. And even after getting to it and plugging in the box, the car didn't want to start. Do you have any pictures of how yours is all hooked up just in case I don't have it all in the right place? Once I took the box off, the car started no problem. The settings inside the box from the shop were B and 1 on the 2 dials.

In either case, I have now to bring the car to Autoremap to get it all sorted out. Kinda annoyed, but didn't want to cause any harm to the engine by messing with it. This whole process was supposed to be a 10-15min job but with my car it's been really tough! You got the same engine as mine I think?

Im looking at a DTUK box now, for the cost of a full tank of fuel (and a tad more) I could get about 25% more torque and performance, and between 4 - 6 mpg increase. I am strongly tempted, just got to think about insurance and talk the Mrs around...

Hassen, you are right - installing the cables is a nightmare with this engine. I tried it couple of times myself but did not bother with that too long and took it to service station where it was installed, however even for the guy there is was not an easy task, took about 40 min.

I suppose removing the battery and the battery box might help a bit providing more spacefor hands. The man in service station did not remove those and was really swetting with installation.

I dont have a photo of the setup right now, but the location of common rail sensor is "behind" the engine. (unfortunately this BB system does not allow me to add picture) After unplugged the cable it was easy to install according the instructions and check the operation with the led comnnector. If the led is lighten with ignition power on, then everything should be right.

After installation my car started just normally and I have not faced any kind of problems with the engine everything works fine. Maybe I just imagine but it sounds like engine is even more smoothly running idle.

I set the switches to D-1 (factory setting is B-1as you said) which is said to provide more power than factory setting, but still moderate.

I can try to help, in case you need more info.

Thanks Resonance for all the information. In the end, I went back to Autoremap and they will get more information from the manufacturer. Then install it on my car. Hopefully all will go well this time and I can get to have some fun. Ford ruining drivers fun as usual by making it extra difficult to get to the sensor.

If not, then it's back to trying to get the car remapped. Never thought it would be this tough to get this done.

If you can get a picture of the wiring in your car, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Unfortunately I am away from my car whole week and, hence, not able to provide photo of the wiriing immediately.

I will try to take a photo asap I am back home.

Anyway I wish you all the best with the installation as due to my experience it really make the difference you can notice.

I definitely agree with you about the ruining the drivers fun with the construction, or maybe we can blame the French engineers as the engine is PSA desing. ;)

Thanks a million Resonance. Greatly appreciate it. I just hope it gets sorted out soon as it would be great to have a bit more poke from the engine :)

How does your engine feel with the box on board? Noticable difference? And any improvement in fuel consumption?

Hi,

see below what I wrote some time ago, how I feel about the engine after a holiday trip with the box installed. I suppose that with summer tyres the fuel economy might even improve (if I am not too eager to use the pedal to enjoy the improved power)

We drove together with my friend (Peugeot 605 automate) "as a convoy" and he said that he had to really kick-down to follow me when taking over some slower cars

About my experience: Just came back from my holiday trip (about 2250 km) with 2 person and one week luggage, from Lapland (Finland) and I am very happy with the fuel economy and performance of engine now.

According the computer the average consuption was 3.9 l/100km and average speed 82 km/h (the winter speed limit in Finland is 80/100 km/h). That is about 0.8 l less per 100 km than before. I drove mainly with cruise set to 105-107 km/h with GPS and using Q-series M+S tyres (without studs).

Difference in power was also remarkable especially when overtaking other cars. The acceleration with 4th gear from 80 to 120 km/h was clearly improved and I consider that as better safety especially when overtaking 22-m trailers.

• Like 1

Cheers for all the info Resonance. Will be trying once more tomorrow to get it fitted where I bought the tuning box from. If the box cannot be fitted, the car is getting remapped the same day at the same place. Either way, I am hoping for an improvement :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club