Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

dave h

Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Burning Oil

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, my neighbour has a mondeo mk3 52 plate 1.8 petrol and is burning loads of oil and smoking realy bad, we have taken all 4 sparks out and all 4 are wet with oil. I would have thought if it was a ring problem it would have been just 1 or 2 cylinders and not all 4. Is there anything that is common to all 4 or can anyone think of anything that i should be checking. Many thanks Dave

Hi all, my neighbour has a mondeo mk3 52 plate 1.8 petrol and is burning loads of oil and smoking realy bad, we have taken all 4 sparks out and all 4 are wet with oil. I would have thought if it was a ring problem it would have been just 1 or 2 cylinders and not all 4. Is there anything that is common to all 4 or can anyone think of anything that i should be checking. Many thanks Dave

is it making and noises or rattles ??

Hi no noises or rattles but uses fom max to min on dipstick in less than 100 miles and all four plugs are wet with oil. Thanks Dave

If you can, do a cylinder leakage test or a compression test.

If doing a compression test, each cylinder will probably show low/no compression in your case. put a little oil in each cylinder and do the test again. If compression is normal then its the piston rings. If it is still low then its the top end (valve guides, head gasket etc.) thats the problem. Hope this helps!

You could try checking or replacing the PCV valve, if its blocked it will cause excessive oil pressure which could be forcing the oil past the valve stem seals. Its a cheap and simple thing to try but in all likelyhood depending on the mileage it does sound like the valve stem oil seals are to blame and as you said if it was a ring problem you wouldn't expect it on all cylinders.

Did you resolve this?

Mine`s behaving the same.