Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Ford Maverick 2.7 Tdi GLS
  • Year: 1998

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi all, my neighbour has a mondeo mk3 52 plate 1.8 petrol and is burning loads of oil and smoking realy bad, we have taken all 4 sparks out and all 4 are wet with oil. I would have thought if it was a ring problem it would have been just 1 or 2 cylinders and not all 4. Is there anything that is common to all 4 or can anyone think of anything that i should be checking. Many thanks Dave

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 snakeseyes

snakeseyes

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:56 AM

Hi all, my neighbour has a mondeo mk3 52 plate 1.8 petrol and is burning loads of oil and smoking realy bad, we have taken all 4 sparks out and all 4 are wet with oil. I would have thought if it was a ring problem it would have been just 1 or 2 cylinders and not all 4. Is there anything that is common to all 4 or can anyone think of anything that i should be checking. Many thanks Dave

is it making and noises or rattles ??

#3 dave h

dave h

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Ford Maverick 2.7 Tdi GLS
  • Year: 1998

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hi no noises or rattles but uses fom max to min on dipstick in less than 100 miles and all four plugs are wet with oil. Thanks Dave

#4 mondy-man

mondy-man

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

If you can, do a cylinder leakage test or a compression test.
If doing a compression test, each cylinder will probably show low/no compression in your case. put a little oil in each cylinder and do the test again. If compression is normal then its the piston rings. If it is still low then its the top end (valve guides, head gasket etc.) thats the problem. Hope this helps!

#5 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

You could try checking or replacing the PCV valve, if its blocked it will cause excessive oil pressure which could be forcing the oil past the valve stem seals. Its a cheap and simple thing to try but in all likelyhood depending on the mileage it does sound like the valve stem oil seals are to blame and as you said if it was a ring problem you wouldn't expect it on all cylinders.

#6 Eddie777

Eddie777

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Zetec 1.8
  • Year: 2001

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Did you resolve this?

Mine`s behaving the same.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users