Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Name: frund
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 2004/2008 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2004

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

Hi, I have a 04 petrol fiesta 12k only. This winter the battery was changed and the correct one fitted but it has slowly discharged, over a couple of months. The previous owner had this problem and her garage came to her rescue occasionally. The original battery was on it when she sold it to me so I felt sure it was a old battery problem. This car is never used at night and usually does 2 miles two or three times a week. This car has mostly done short runs all its life. I kept the old battery which is now on charge. Contacts spotless. Should I check the charge imput or am I expecting too much from my short runs/charge time...any thoughts welcome.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hi, I have a 04 petrol fiesta 12k only. This winter the battery was changed and the correct one fitted but it has slowly discharged, over a couple of months. The previous owner had this problem and her garage came to her rescue occasionally. The original battery was on it when she sold it to me so I felt sure it was a old battery problem. This car is never used at night and usually does 2 miles two or three times a week. This car has mostly done short runs all its life. I kept the old battery which is now on charge. Contacts spotless. Should I check the charge imput or am I expecting too much from my short runs/charge time...any thoughts welcome.

hmmm very perculiar. The mileage of the car shouldnt be giving this sort of problem, but a slow discharge could be a number of things. For Example, I have "Modified" my interior so that I have a 4 - 1 extension running from the 12v socket on my focus, I put the extension underneath the centre console, with the gearstick. My car was "slowly discharging" because I was a muppet and left the extension plugged in, with my Radio transmitter being powered, and the MP3 player charging...

If you take a multimeter to the alternator, that will tell you what sort of power output your getting and if you have got a problem with the alternator.

its a shame the Ford warranty doesnt extend beyond the four years for such a car with so few miles on the clock!!!

#3 frund

frund

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Yes very low mileage and has had light use old lady previously but even then I used to start it up and leave it run for 20 mins or so otherwise it went flat over a month or so. I went out this morning and it was totally flat although yesterday it did around 2 miles with nothing on it has slowly been getting weaker. I have fitted the 'old charged overnight battery' and it just flew around. I did notice when I connected the battery that there was a bit of splatter from the terminal so there is something already on although nothing I know of and nothing has been added electrically. Maybe there is a slight discharge somewhere. I am not sure of what is supposed to be on Management system or something. I notice when I change the battery, twice, the radio stays coded although off so something must be looking after this. thanks

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yes very low mileage and has had light use old lady previously but even then I used to start it up and leave it run for 20 mins or so otherwise it went flat over a month or so. I went out this morning and it was totally flat although yesterday it did around 2 miles with nothing on it has slowly been getting weaker. I have fitted the 'old charged overnight battery' and it just flew around. I did notice when I connected the battery that there was a bit of splatter from the terminal so there is something already on although nothing I know of and nothing has been added electrically. Maybe there is a slight discharge somewhere. I am not sure of what is supposed to be on Management system or something. I notice when I change the battery, twice, the radio stays coded although off so something must be looking after this. thanks

The radio code holds its memory for a short period after the power is lost, once it exceeds this, it then asks for the code. I would suggest its best to take it to Ford, who knows they may do a good will gesture because of the low mileage? unlikely but optimistic!

#5 frund

frund

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

I will see how it behaves through the next few weeks and if I still, and I suspect I will, have probs then the Ford dealer may be my only choice. I have 2 batteries so no real problem and it takes quite a while to flatten them but it would be nice to know what is causing the batteries to go flat. thanks for your imput.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users