Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Problem

NoddyMW

Hi guys i'm new and was recommended that you guys can help so i'm hopeful ;)

I have recently been having problems with my car, when I drive mid to long-ish journeys my engine temperature light comes on. When I check my radiator the water is brown and discoloured. I have checked the water there is no oil and there is not water in my oil. My brother in law believes it to be the fan not kicking in (as there is plenty of water still in the radiator tank) and this is causing the pipe to expand with pressure.

Three questions: one, is there anyway to check the fan is working e.g. wiring or plugs to check, two, does anyone have any ideas as to what this problem might be. how do I check its not any other problem?

Thanks in advance.

Noddy (Martyn)

Has the Antifeeze been changed regularly or is the brown colour likely to be due to corrosion?

Are both Top and bottom hoses to and from the radiator pressurised and hot?

Is it the top or bottom hose that is expanding under pressure?

There are a number of problems it could be but this does sound more like a blocked radiator. Corrosion on the inside can block it up and may either need back flushing through or replacing. This would pressurise the top hose but not the bottom one

You may also have a thermostat that is stuck in the closed position.

The fan will not kick in unless the temperature is hot enough at the point it is fitted. You can normally test the fan is working by unplugging it and carefully joining the two connections together to make the circuit. This however does not ensure that the sensor is working.

Let us know how you get on and we can try a few other things.

as above, there are a few possibilities - blocked radiator, slow or stuck thermostat, failing coolant pump...

if you disconnect the coolant temp sensor, this should put the engine into a 'safe mode' and the radiator fan should run constantly.

I would suggest you drain the coolant and try flushing the system with plenty of clean water!