Photo

What Would You Be Driving If Not A Focus?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Bianconero

Bianconero

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Focus 1.6 auto

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

Having been reading jeebowhite's post about moving to a Kia I just wondered what others have considered buying.

I only bought my Mk2 Focus a couple of weeks ago and had considered the Kia Ceed, Mazda3 and Fiat Grande Punto. I ruled out the Kia because it was out of my budget but loved the thought of the remainder of the 7 year warranty. The Mazda3 looked quite ugly (to me). And the Fiat much as they're improved had some awful reviews on various sites.

Much as I'm happy with my Mk2 Focus it seem's much slower than the equivelant Mk1 I had a few years ago but I'm growing to like it. Still think the Grande Punto is the best looking of the bunch though!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 kevin lancelott

kevin lancelott

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Name: kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium X 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2013

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

Before getting my mk 7 fiesta titanium I had a mk 6.5 ghia and I was looking at the old shape astra top of the range elite model.My local ford garage is also a Suzuki dealer and when I took mine for a bit of work I did thumb through the swift bro sure and did like the look of it so that could have been a contender also.

#3 jim_b

jim_b

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Jim
  • Ford Model: Mk 7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT
  • Year: 2009

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

I previously owned a Mk 1 Focus Edge and then a Mk 2 Focus Titanium before buying my Mk7 Fiesta Titanium. While I am enjoying my Fiesta it has not given me the buzz of driving a Focus and my current thoughts are to revert back to a Focus for my next car, ideally a ST.

#4 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,137 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

when i wrote my peugeot 307 and before getting my focus i was looking at the new astra...glad i didnt...too fiddly. other than i was looking at the skoda octavia or fabia.

#5 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

My Wife Mad........hence I sold the Volvo S40 2.0D SE to make her Happy :D

#6 mross

mross

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCI 136 Ghia, Powershift
  • Year: 2007

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

Audi A4 s-line is our other car on a 08 plate, and to be honest yeh its very nice but costs a fortune to run and maintain compared to my focus, which is why the Audi is my wifes run around town car and for weekends, and not the work horse.

#7 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 20,981 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

you know my choice ;) lol. Its good to see that some people (jim_B) have had good experiences with Ford and would still come back, thats always good to see (as I am sure many others will have).

#8 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

you know my choice ;) lol. Its good to see that some people (jim_B) have had good experiences with Ford and would still come back, thats always good to see (as I am sure many others will have).

anything japanese consistently are the most reliable you can buy kia are good cars and 7 year warranty then toyota with 5 cheverolet with 5 etc ford with 3 i wouldnt get another ford too many issues they have that they just shouldnt i would buy a kia the grande punto is a pile of crud from experience mate and i mean rubbish pourus heads major electrical faults terrible reliability my mate got so fed up with his after his 3rd replacement car he got a lawyer involved and got a full refund eventually kia for me mazdas are basically fords and not nice loooking

#9 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 20,981 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

My main reason for leaving ford is they never learn!!! how many of the faults have been inherited through the years from the mk1 to the mk3 / mk4? I can think of a few!

#10 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 zetec, Mark II, petrol (manu 56 reg)

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

Skoda Octavia is a good choice as well as the Hyundai i30, ix35, mazda 3. Hyundai and Mazda are normally cheaper than the focus and the Skoda has got better residual

#11 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport, KA Luxury
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

Ive owned over 50 cars (not at the same time) and cannot remember going a year without changing at least one of them. However I always come back to Fords and currently have two, including an 09 Focus Estate. Ive just ordered a new Sport which should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I have not experienced any more problems with Fords than any other makes Ive had including VW,s, Audi.s etc. The Mk1 equivelant Focus I found to be poor on mid range performance, but the Mk 2.5 is much better. Parts are easily available and tend to be cheaper than other makes.

The only thing is, I have never owned, or wanted to own a diesel and from what I read, these do seem to be an issue with Fords as the higher mileage ones become very expensive to repair. DPF being a good example of this. Anyway, not a problem for me as I am a petrol man.

#12 Bianconero

Bianconero

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

anything japanese consistently are the most reliable you can buy kia are good cars and 7 year warranty then toyota with 5 cheverolet with 5 etc ford with 3 i wouldnt get another ford too many issues they have that they just shouldnt i would buy a kia the grande punto is a pile of crud from experience mate and i mean rubbish pourus heads major electrical faults terrible reliability my mate got so fed up with his after his 3rd replacement car he got a lawyer involved and got a full refund eventually kia for me mazdas are basically fords and not nice loooking

Shame the Fiats are still so bad, I'm half Italian and would love one, they look so good. Just came back from Italy and there's so many Grande Puntos on the roads which is what started me thinking maybe they've improved. Had a Toyota a few years back and the VVTI engine had big probs with oil conumption. Might wait a while for Kia Ceed prices to come down. The Mk2 Focus just isn't doing it for me like the Mk1 did.

#13 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 20,981 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Shame the Fiats are still so bad, I'm half Italian and would love one, they look so good. Just came back from Italy and there's so many Grande Puntos on the roads which is what started me thinking maybe they've improved. Had a Toyota a few years back and the VVTI engine had big probs with oil conumption. Might wait a while for Kia Ceed prices to come down. The Mk2 Focus just isn't doing it for me like the Mk1 did.

If you go for the Cee'd you can buy it for about 8000, but then again unless its above a 59 plate, then you are paying a lot for no warranty, whereas if you get the 10 plate, you get the 6-7 year warranty up to 100,000 miles.

#14 Bianconero

Bianconero

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

If you go for the Cee'd you can buy it for about 8000, but then again unless its above a 59 plate, then you are paying a lot for no warranty, whereas if you get the 10 plate, you get the 6-7 year warranty up to 100,000 miles.

I'm confused, I thought that when buying used whatever is left of the original 7 year warranty carries over to the new owner?

#15 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

2.2CDTI Honda Civic (new shape).........best diesel ive ever driven

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users