Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Would You Be Driving If Not A Focus?

Bianconero

Having been reading jeebowhite's post about moving to a Kia I just wondered what others have considered buying.

I only bought my Mk2 Focus a couple of weeks ago and had considered the Kia Ceed, Mazda3 and Fiat Grande Punto. I ruled out the Kia because it was out of my budget but loved the thought of the remainder of the 7 year warranty. The Mazda3 looked quite ugly (to me). And the Fiat much as they're improved had some awful reviews on various sites.

Much as I'm happy with my Mk2 Focus it seem's much slower than the equivelant Mk1 I had a few years ago but I'm growing to like it. Still think the Grande Punto is the best looking of the bunch though!

Before getting my mk 7 fiesta titanium I had a mk 6.5 ghia and I was looking at the old shape astra top of the range elite model.My local ford garage is also a Suzuki dealer and when I took mine for a bit of work I did thumb through the swift bro sure and did like the look of it so that could have been a contender also.

I previously owned a Mk 1 Focus Edge and then a Mk 2 Focus Titanium before buying my Mk7 Fiesta Titanium. While I am enjoying my Fiesta it has not given me the buzz of driving a Focus and my current thoughts are to revert back to a Focus for my next car, ideally a ST.

when i wrote my peugeot 307 and before getting my focus i was looking at the new astra...glad i didnt...too fiddly. other than i was looking at the skoda octavia or fabia.

My Wife Mad........hence I sold the Volvo S40 2.0D SE to make her Happy :D

Audi A4 s-line is our other car on a 08 plate, and to be honest yeh its very nice but costs a fortune to run and maintain compared to my focus, which is why the Audi is my wifes run around town car and for weekends, and not the work horse.

you know my choice ;) lol. Its good to see that some people (jim_B) have had good experiences with Ford and would still come back, thats always good to see (as I am sure many others will have).

you know my choice ;) lol. Its good to see that some people (jim_B) have had good experiences with Ford and would still come back, thats always good to see (as I am sure many others will have).

anything japanese consistently are the most reliable you can buy kia are good cars and 7 year warranty then toyota with 5 cheverolet with 5 etc ford with 3 i wouldnt get another ford too many issues they have that they just shouldnt i would buy a kia the grande punto is a pile of crud from experience mate and i mean rubbish pourus heads major electrical faults terrible reliability my mate got so fed up with his after his 3rd replacement car he got a lawyer involved and got a full refund eventually kia for me mazdas are basically fords and not nice loooking

My main reason for leaving ford is they never learn!!! how many of the faults have been inherited through the years from the mk1 to the mk3 / mk4? I can think of a few!

Skoda Octavia is a good choice as well as the Hyundai i30, ix35, mazda 3. Hyundai and Mazda are normally cheaper than the focus and the Skoda has got better residual

Ive owned over 50 cars (not at the same time) and cannot remember going a year without changing at least one of them. However I always come back to Fords and currently have two, including an 09 Focus Estate. Ive just ordered a new Sport which should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I have not experienced any more problems with Fords than any other makes Ive had including VW,s, Audi.s etc. The Mk1 equivelant Focus I found to be poor on mid range performance, but the Mk 2.5 is much better. Parts are easily available and tend to be cheaper than other makes.

The only thing is, I have never owned, or wanted to own a diesel and from what I read, these do seem to be an issue with Fords as the higher mileage ones become very expensive to repair. DPF being a good example of this. Anyway, not a problem for me as I am a petrol man.

anything japanese consistently are the most reliable you can buy kia are good cars and 7 year warranty then toyota with 5 cheverolet with 5 etc ford with 3 i wouldnt get another ford too many issues they have that they just shouldnt i would buy a kia the grande punto is a pile of crud from experience mate and i mean rubbish pourus heads major electrical faults terrible reliability my mate got so fed up with his after his 3rd replacement car he got a lawyer involved and got a full refund eventually kia for me mazdas are basically fords and not nice loooking

Shame the Fiats are still so bad, I'm half Italian and would love one, they look so good. Just came back from Italy and there's so many Grande Puntos on the roads which is what started me thinking maybe they've improved. Had a Toyota a few years back and the VVTI engine had big probs with oil conumption. Might wait a while for Kia Ceed prices to come down. The Mk2 Focus just isn't doing it for me like the Mk1 did.

Shame the Fiats are still so bad, I'm half Italian and would love one, they look so good. Just came back from Italy and there's so many Grande Puntos on the roads which is what started me thinking maybe they've improved. Had a Toyota a few years back and the VVTI engine had big probs with oil conumption. Might wait a while for Kia Ceed prices to come down. The Mk2 Focus just isn't doing it for me like the Mk1 did.

If you go for the Cee'd you can buy it for about £8000, but then again unless its above a 59 plate, then you are paying a lot for no warranty, whereas if you get the 10 plate, you get the 6-7 year warranty up to 100,000 miles.

If you go for the Cee'd you can buy it for about £8000, but then again unless its above a 59 plate, then you are paying a lot for no warranty, whereas if you get the 10 plate, you get the 6-7 year warranty up to 100,000 miles.

I'm confused, I thought that when buying used whatever is left of the original 7 year warranty carries over to the new owner?

I'm confused, I thought that when buying used whatever is left of the original 7 year warranty carries over to the new owner?

Thats correct, however I think only some 59 plates and pretty much all 10 / 60 / 11 plate cars come with the 7 year warranty, whereas the older kias have either 3 or 5 (I cant remember). Which is why if you go for newer Kia's then you definately get your 7 year (transferrable) warranty.

If you go less than that and you want to have 7 years of cover, then you have to buy the "extended" warranty from kia.

2.2CDTI Honda Civic (new shape).........best diesel ive ever driven

kia and hyundai toyota have a transferable warranty so buying a used kia etc comes with the remainder of the warranty vauxhalls useless warranty is not transferable

Thats correct, however I think only some 59 plates and pretty much all 10 / 60 / 11 plate cars come with the 7 year warranty, whereas the older kias have either 3 or 5 (I cant remember). Which is why if you go for newer Kia's then you definately get your 7 year (transferrable) warranty.

If you go less than that and you want to have 7 years of cover, then you have to buy the "extended" warranty from kia.

Ah ok didn't realise it was only from 59 they got the 7 year warranty, good to know. Think I'm keeping the Focus a while longer then ;)

lol yeah, good old warranties! and I agree arts, the Vauxhall warranty is shocking to say the least!

Bian, glad the information helped you make your decision!

I was looking at a 2.2 cdti myself last month but ive opted for a smaller car (fiesta) having had mk2 mk3 and mk4 golfs then a mk1.5 and mk2 tdci focus I prefer the fords for some reason (had alot less problems too)

Loved my E46 BMW M3 which was a fantastic car, very different to my 2.0 TDCI but being a 2 door and having 2 kids the Beemer just wasn't practical and I found myself using it less and less before eventually selling it. Thinking about buying a another beemer at the moment probably and E39 5 series with the 3.0 straight 6-classic shaped car with a beauty of an engine.

And you jumped from BMW to Ford... that is a strange Step, all the BMW owners I know would have never taken that step! hope you havent regretted the decision at all!

And you jumped from BMW to Ford... that is a strange Step, all the BMW owners I know would have never taken that step! hope you havent regretted the decision at all!

Reason being we needed a practical 4 door hatch and the Focus was the best car we could get for the money at the time. In the fullness of time we used the Beemer less and less (it became a weekend car). Before buying the M3 I should have bought a four door in the first place but heart ruling the head etc etc! The crunch came when I took it for its MOT and saw I'd only driven it 3k miles since the last MOT the previous year! So decided to get rid as we had two other cars in the household which we made a lot more use of.

For me it was either the fiesta or the corsa as they seemed the two best cars for my money. Would have loved the new civic or an audi a3 but way out of my price range :rolleyes:

I've done the same, got rid of my 2001 3-series auto, smoothest car to drive but coming up to 10 years old and had too many niggling faults that needed sorting, plus it needed some work doing to the suspension and needed 2 new tyres. Figured I may as well jump before shelling out for that lot and before the rot really sets in. Had a Mk1 Focus before the BMW and loved it, not feeling the Mk2 yet though. Just got to get used to a lack of anything refined, lots more engine noise and not beating too many other cars off at the lights lol. On the plus side cheaper repairs, lower insurance and hopefully better MPG though at the moment the MPG is on a par with the BMW :(