Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Canadian Fiesta Vs Uk Fiesta

DaveFord

I was in Toronto this week, so I took the opportunity to visit a Ford dealer and try out the Canadian version of the mk7 Fiesta.

I drove a 1.6Ti-VCT, with 6-speed powershift gearbox. Firstly, it feels like it rides a little softly compared to the UK Market model. This is generally the case with North American market cars anyway. The powershift 6-speed box is a revelation in the Fiesta. The sooner the 4 speed auto makes way for the 6-speed powershift, the better.

The interior is a little different - the model I drove, a SES hatchback, featured Sirius Satellite radio and Microsoft SYNC too. I've used both of these systems in a 2011 Ford Escape and frankly, they're excellent.

The frontal styling is an acquired taste, I much prefer the UK version, but the DRL's are pretty cool-looking.

Here are some pictures of my findings....

My new Fiesta -

LS11CFV.jpg

The Canadian Fiesta -

3bfa39b1.jpg

A gaggle of Canadian Fiesta's -

bd192d6c.jpg

Front end detailing -

2d2cf893.jpg

Back end of a Fiesta Sedan -

8617fea9.jpg

Centre stack with Sirius Radio -

b21eba7a.jpg

Microsoft SYNC -

10192ffa.jpg

Options and Spec -

dc5ddc3a.jpg

Pricing -

381e1ce8.jpg

$22,459 Canadian for a Fiesta - that £14,584 at today's exchange rate of 1.57.

Hi Dave, nice pics.

I've looked at the American fiesta alot online and on youtube, I prefer their slightly different interior - mainly the darker coloured dash and the more V shaped transformers looking radio.

I notice on you pics their bodywork around the headlights looks like it comes into a sharper angle than ours at the front of the car. Maybe thats coz of the larger front bumper. And I also like the 3 little american wing stlye orange lights they've intergrated into the headlights.

Untitled.png

I even like the sedan version! I know its not as cool as the hatch but I still think it looks smart. Usually when hatches get a boot stuck on the back for the overseas markets they look terrible, but I think the fiesta pulls it off fairly well - as if it had been designed to be in hatch AND saloon form from day one.

:)

Don't suppose you took any more pics - like of the American fusion or their flex and edge vechicles?

Paul.

....P.s, forgot to mention, I'm sure I read somewhere that Ford/Microsoft Sync would be lauched globally in 2012 ...(maybe at the same time as the 'My Ford Touch' featured on the new global focus in the US and on a couple of others too)

Also you mention you like the Powershift box - are you an auto driver here in the UK, and if not would you seriously consider one in the future i.e the powershift?

Hi Paul,

I'm in Los Angeles now, so I'll stop by a Ford dealer and take some more pictures.

I'd love to be an auto driver back in the UK, but, in my opinion, the 4-speed torque converter auto on the Fiesta just doesn't cut it anymore in the UK. As a result, my new Fiesta is a 1.6 TDCi with 5-speed manual gearbox. As soon as Ford UK launch the 6-speed powershift, I'll be all over it.

I do like the slightly different headlights on the US model, but I'm not too sold on the upper and lower grilles. The lower grille is bigger on the UK model, but US crash protection laws dictate the changes in styling and bodywork.

The Edge is a great car - I rented one for a week last summer in Texas. I'll see what else I can find!

David

Hi Paul,

I'm in Los Angeles now, so I'll stop by a Ford dealer and take some more pictures.

I'd love to be an auto driver back in the UK, but, in my opinion, the 4-speed torque converter auto on the Fiesta just doesn't cut it anymore in the UK. As a result, my new Fiesta is a 1.6 TDCi with 5-speed manual gearbox. As soon as Ford UK launch the 6-speed powershift, I'll be all over it.

I do like the slightly different headlights on the US model, but I'm not too sold on the upper and lower grilles. The lower grille is bigger on the UK model, but US crash protection laws dictate the changes in styling and bodywork.

The Edge is a great car - I rented one for a week last summer in Texas. I'll see what else I can find!

David

You're still out there now! I'm slightly jelous ;) I'd love to travel around America and have some proper road trips in some big american cars - if you went for a long drive here you could reach the other end of the country in a day :( where's the adventure in that. lol

And no I don't like the US fiestas smaller lower grille - thats definatly one thing I prefer on the euro version - our large open mouth grille looks much more aggressive.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, you lucky so and so :( :D

just got back from the US myself! only saw 1 fiesta over there though, a 5dr in the same blue as that sedan pictured.

you're brave for driving around there, they're absolute mentalists!

are you parked at a certain london airport long stay by any chance?! think i saw your fiesta... if so, your cars fine :D

Yes, I'm still here. I did the entire post on my iPhone, including the pictures.

My car is in a certain long-term car park - thanks for checking on it for me! As you've seen it - did you fly Delta or Continental?

delta. entertainment system broke down halfway through! apart from that it werent too bad a flight.

was the sirius radio DAB? if so, did it work ok? Ive been in a freelander with DAB and pretty much 90% of the stations couldnt be recieved!

the US fiestas do look pretty bland at the front in comparison, less square than everything else out there though!

Sirius is Satellite radio, not DAB. Cars have a mini satellite receiver on the roof and it works best with direct line-of-sight to the satellite.

Here's some extra pics, taken today in Los Angeles, as promised -

2011 Ford Fusion (much better looking than the UK Fusion!) -

383e5612.jpg

2011 Ford Flex -

6f5ff070.jpg

2011 Ford Fiesta Sedan (1) -

f4b170d4.jpg

2011 Ford Fiesta Sedan (2) -

a68f8ab9.jpg

2011 Ford Edge -

f2de9225.jpg

2011 Ford Taurus -

cf731d84.jpg

Amercian car's have no style at all. Not a big fan of the massive chrome grille. The euro Fiesta is also much better looking :). When i was in Las Vegas, the euro cars (BMW, Merc, MINI etc) stood out like a sore thumb. The euro cars IMO are much better when compared to the Amercian's

Hmm I know our euro cars are more stylish and the fiesta's been so popular in the states because the yanks love our european styling, but I've gotta say I don't mind the chrome even though theres alot of it - I'd evem go as far as saying I quite like the Edge and US Fusion. Not a fan of the Flex though - looks like a cheap and squashed range rover.

I wouldn't particularly say the base/mid level trim Fiesta sedan above looks great, but I think this high end version below looks really smart!

(these pics are from some US review online - sorry can't find source anymore)

2011-ford-fiesta-sedan-kleis-2_620.jpg

2011-ford-fiesta-sedan-kleis-3_620.jpg

2011-ford-fiesta-sedan-kleis-4_620.jpg

2011-ford-fiesta-sedan-kleis-6_620.jpg

rawAZB_6821-1024x681.jpg

gchzdg.jpg

...or is it just me? lol :huh::lol:

No it not just you I also like it. :rolleyes:

Oh I'm glad someone agreed. I was starting to think I was a freak lol

I'd evem go as far as saying I quite like the Edge and US Fusion. Not a fan of the Flex though - looks like a cheap and squashed range rover.

saw quite a few of the Edges when i was out there, Im quite a fan of them- looks better than the kuga's here! saw one that looked top of the range, sat on big wheels, and looked really smart. it even a keypad on the doorhandle (?!)

Managed to get into an Escape whilst over there too which they use as cabs, it was really cheap, nasty and cramped! i take they're the old Edges?

The flex is a terrible looking thing. its such a bad rip off of the range rover its almost shameful (but quite funny too :D )

saw quite a few of the Edges when i was out there, Im quite a fan of them- looks better than the kuga's here! saw one that looked top of the range, sat on big wheels, and looked really smart. it even a keypad on the doorhandle (?!)

Managed to get into an Escape whilst over there too which they use as cabs, it was really cheap, nasty and cramped! i take they're the old Edges?

The flex is a terrible looking thing. its such a bad rip off of the range rover its almost shameful (but quite funny too :D )

Escape Taxi's are awful - really basic and nasty. My mate in Toronto drives a brand new Escape LTD - it's really nice inside. Lovely soft tan leather interior, heated seats, Awesome sat-nav and integrated hi-fi, lovely piano-black finish on the centre console and it's also pretty spacious inside.

Having said that, I prefer the Edge, but it's quite a big price difference between the two vehicles. The Escape is also the Mazda Tribute, the Edge is a new model for Ford and wasn't previously anything else.

The Flex isn't based on the Range Rover - it's more a link to the historic 'woody' wagons of the 50's and 60's. See one in the metal and they're actually pretty cool.

Here are a couple more pictures from LA -

2011 Ford Mustang Convertible -

f3da71e8.jpg

2011 Ford Escape XLT -

e49cdfb0.jpg

The Flex isn't based on the Range Rover - it's more a link to the historic 'woody' wagons of the 50's and 60's. See one in the metal and they're actually pretty cool.

Glad someone realizes this. Flex sits real low to the ground and is very long and is more like a squared off version of station wagons from the 50s-80s. When mini-vans started coming out, these station wagons kinda went away. Nothing like a Range Rover. If any Ford is copying the Range Rover, you could say the Ford Bronco is, except the first Bronco was made in 1966 and the first Range Rover was in 1970. I think the only other manufacturer that had similar vehicles was Toyota with the FJ5x series and that was in 1967 cause I don't think it took them long to redesign the FJ4x's to a 50 series once they caught wind of the Bronco. So yeah, pretty sure Ford is original here in this case. Although I do like the Land Cruiser over Ford and Range Rover anyway.

In regards to the front of the North American Fiesta to the European Fiesta, yeah....most of us prefer the euro version. Personally though, I like our LED light bezel over the round fog lights.....although I wish we had fog lights in addition to the LED bezel. I am hoping they come out with a bezel that incorporates fog lights so that we aren't just adding those lights into the grill area. Also, the front of the Fiesta here is really ruined because of our license plates placement. I have taken mine off and lowered it slightly so that it off the body line completely. It does improve the looks and I am not sure why Ford didn't do it this way from the factory.

Not my car since I have no good pics of the front and I haven't gotten around to putting my kit on yet anyway, but some vinyl applied under the headlights and the bottom of the upper grill.

5140435515_1584198aec.jpg

5141040874_48ba601fc8.jpg

5141051314_ce1d917f47.jpg

Glad someone realizes this. Flex sits real low to the ground and is very long and is more like a squared off version of station wagons from the 50s-80s. When mini-vans started coming out, these station wagons kinda went away. Nothing like a Range Rover. If any Ford is copying the Range Rover, you could say the Ford Bronco is, except the first Bronco was made in 1966 and the first Range Rover was in 1970. I think the only other manufacturer that had similar vehicles was Toyota with the FJ5x series and that was in 1967 cause I don't think it took them long to redesign the FJ4x's to a 50 series once they caught wind of the Bronco. So yeah, pretty sure Ford is original here in this case. Although I do like the Land Cruiser over Ford and Range Rover anyway.

In regards to the front of the North American Fiesta to the European Fiesta, yeah....most of us prefer the euro version. Personally though, I like our LED light bezel over the round fog lights.....although I wish we had fog lights in addition to the LED bezel. I am hoping they come out with a bezel that incorporates fog lights so that we aren't just adding those lights into the grill area. Also, the front of the Fiesta here is really ruined because of our license plates placement. I have taken mine off and lowered it slightly so that it off the body line completely. It does improve the looks and I am not sure why Ford didn't do it this way from the factory.

Not my car since I have no good pics of the front and I haven't gotten around to putting my kit on yet anyway, but some vinyl applied under the headlights and the bottom of the upper grill.

I like that, it looks really smart

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, is it not law that you must have a licence plate at the front too? Just I've seen several shots of US cars that don't seem to have a front plate.

Cars look much better without them IMO, especially without our huge goofy british plates

Out of interest, is it not law that you must have a licence plate at the front too? Just I've seen several shots of US cars that don't seem to have a front plate.

Cars look much better without them IMO, especially without our huge goofy british plates

Most states require you have a front plate, there are a few that don't. I think one or more state (probably California) even stipulates how high off the ground the plate has to be, which is probably why Ford put the plate in such an ugly manner on the Fiesta. Usually car makers build it to California specs, because if it's within specs in Cali, it's within specs for all other states. They use to do models for just California and then another for all other states, but now it's all built to California regs, which pisses everyone else off because it really limits the car. Think it's the main reason why we don't have small diesel cars in the US....nearly all of them do not pass California emissions standards.

I think you are required to have front plates here because of traffic cameras and radar guns for measuring speed. For the radar gun, the cops aim at the plate because it is a flat area and gives the best return. For the camera, if you cross on a red, cameras usually have a better chance of catching you off the front plates or just doubles the chance. Can't really think of any other reasons why you must have a front plate.

I don't have a front plate on my bimmer. Haven't for over a year now and never gotten pulled over. Also have illegal tint. Mostly, if you're an adult and look like a fine upstanding citizen and you didn't go too crazy or are too obvious, the cops don't nitpick you. If you are some kid or you're thuggish looking, that might be a different story. It's like going 5MPH over the speed limit. No cop will actually pull you over for that, unless he wants to pull you over to investigate other things and is using that as an excuse or he is bored out of his mind and is in a bad mood.

I was in Toronto this week, so I took the opportunity to visit a Ford dealer and try out the Canadian version of the mk7 Fiesta.

Pricing -

381e1ce8.jpg

$22,459 Canadian for a Fiesta - that £14,584 at today's exchange rate of 1.57.

Most UK people make the same error when they see car prices in North America. You have to remember that unlike the UK, Sales tax or VAT as we prefer to say, isn't included in North America.

I think Ontario has a 15% sales tax therefore that car will cost £16800. If you add leather to a UK 1.6 Titanium 5dr, the prices aren't that much different.

Most states require you have a front plate, there are a few that don't. I think one or more state (probably California) even stipulates how high off the ground the plate has to be, which is probably why Ford put the plate in such an ugly manner on the Fiesta. Usually car makers build it to California specs, because if it's within specs in Cali, it's within specs for all other states. They use to do models for just California and then another for all other states, but now it's all built to California regs, which pisses everyone else off because it really limits the car. Think it's the main reason why we don't have small diesel cars in the US....nearly all of them do not pass California emissions standards.

I think you are required to have front plates here because of traffic cameras and radar guns for measuring speed. For the radar gun, the cops aim at the plate because it is a flat area and gives the best return. For the camera, if you cross on a red, cameras usually have a better chance of catching you off the front plates or just doubles the chance. Can't really think of any other reasons why you must have a front plate.

I don't have a front plate on my bimmer. Haven't for over a year now and never gotten pulled over. Also have illegal tint. Mostly, if you're an adult and look like a fine upstanding citizen and you didn't go too crazy or are too obvious, the cops don't nitpick you. If you are some kid or you're thuggish looking, that might be a different story. It's like going 5MPH over the speed limit. No cop will actually pull you over for that, unless he wants to pull you over to investigate other things and is using that as an excuse or he is bored out of his mind and is in a bad mood.

lol thats kinda good

I never knew about the California regs. You learn something new everyday on this forum

:)

Paul

• 1 month later...

The Escape and the Edge are unrelated. The Escape is a compact "cute ute", while the Edge is a mid-sized crossover. Actually, they're both crossovers. I rented an Escape in Hawaii a couple of years ago, and it wasn't horrible, except like all CUVs it was too damned high off the ground.

The Escape is built on a platform co-developed with Mazda. Now that Ford and Mazda have gone their separate ways, it's rumored that the next gen Kuga will also be our next gen Escape. Personally, I approve of Ford merging replacing the models built on Mazda-designed platforms with those based on European designs.

Can the front bumper be attached to the European version? (including LED lights)?

I'm guessing it would not be an easy switch. The US bumper is larger than ours (for their safety regs), plus note the difference in bonnet too - the US bonnet lid/hood starts further behind the Ford badge than the euro version.