• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 davethescoot

davethescoot

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.25 zetec
Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hi guys, after owning several fiestas over the years, I'm buying a new Zetec 1.25.

Now call me old fashioned but now I've found out that I wont have a spare wheel, just a tub of gunge, and a tyre inflater, I feel like moving to a different brand of car.

I know other car makers are going this way too, but am I worrying about nothing?,should I buy a spare from Ford myself, (because I love the look of the '09 model)?

Or am I right in thinking what a ridiculous, and penny pinching idea it is not to be supplied with a spare by the manufacturer.I dont want to wait hours for a breakdown truck if the sidewall has ripped out of my tyre,I just want to be able to CHANGE THE B****Y WHEEL !!

Your thoughts please guys
Dave

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 sussex

sussex

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Ford Model: Was - 1.4 Zetec / Now - 1.6 ZS

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Just picked my new fiesta up and yes, no spare wheel, I feel the same as you, pennypinching gone too far

#3 mc_flame

mc_flame

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name: Lee
  • Ford Model: '06 Focus 1.8 Zetec Climate 3Dr
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi guys, after owning several fiestas over the years, I'm buying a new Zetec 1.25.

Now call me old fashioned but now I've found out that I wont have a spare wheel, just a tub of gunge, and a tyre inflater, I feel like moving to a different brand of car.

I know other car makers are going this way too, but am I worrying about nothing?,should I buy a spare from Ford myself, (because I love the look of the '09 model)?

Or am I right in thinking what a ridiculous, and penny pinching idea it is not to be supplied with a spare by the manufacturer.I dont want to wait hours for a breakdown truck if the sidewall has ripped out of my tyre,I just want to be able to CHANGE THE B****Y WHEEL !!

Dave

If they haven't designed the car to carry a spare wheel, then if you buy one where are you gonna put it without using boot space? :huh: Unless you're ok with that, then it beats waiting for recovery!

#4 davethescoot

davethescoot

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

[quote name='mc_flame' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:59 PM' post='7165']
If they haven't designed the car to carry a spare wheel, then if you buy one where are you gonna put it without using boot space? :huh: Unless you're ok with that, then it beats waiting for recovery!
[/quote

The boot floor is the same as the previous fiesta.....but anyway,.....panic over,Ford offer a no cost option of spare wheel, jack and wheel brace, to customers who want it.(I only found that out after looking at a road test on the internet, (Honest John.co.UK)...... the salesman who served me had no idea !!!)

Anyway, thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to December 1st, and picking up my new Ztec.

regards
Dave

#5 kerry

kerry

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully i'll pick up my new Zetec in a couple of weeks (i say hopefull but seeing as the dealers cant give me a reg or chassis number yet....). I'll ask the dealers about spare wheel, totally slipped my mind as being a girl i was just entranced by the ambient lights..... :-)

#6 stevei

stevei

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: '97 Fiesta + '05 Focus
Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

#7 Verity

Verity

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yes I was a little baffled by the non spare wheel. I have had my new fiesta zetec for a week now and I love it.

Woo hoo

#8 2nd ford E+ B

2nd ford E+ B

A & B

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Name: B
  • Ford Model: focus titanium 1.6
  • Year: 2011

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

Hi,
I've had my new fiesta 1.4 titanium 3 weeks now. I've got a spare wheel. Had to order it at time of buying car, But it was free.I so did'nt want that can of foam

#9 davethescoot

davethescoot

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hi,
I've had my new fiesta 1.4 titanium 3 weeks now. I've got a spare wheel. Had to order it at time of buying car, But it was free.I so did'nt want that can of foam

Did you get the jack and wheel brace too?

Dave

#10 2nd ford E+ B

2nd ford E+ B

A & B

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Name: B
  • Ford Model: focus titanium 1.6
  • Year: 2011

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

Yep.. It's under the spare wheel, ( just checked).

#11 tricky

tricky

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec
Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

I didn't get a spare tyre either, not amused after years of buying Ford Fiestas, I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow, see if I can get one now or whether I will have to pay. Apart from that the car is great.

#12 tricky

tricky

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec
Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

I didn't get a spare tyre either, not amused after years of buying Ford Fiestas, I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow, see if I can get one now or whether I will have to pay. Apart from that the car is great.

Got my spare wheel from the dealer today, it's free too, after I complained.

#13 knighton

knighton

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

Hi I asked my ford dealer why the spare wheel was an optional extra and he told me that for the cars to get a lower co2 emission band they advertise the cars weight without a spare wheel, but if they add the spare wheel this adds extra weight to the car and therefore increases the co2 emissions, so to get round this it is a free optional extra. So basically if the car already had a spare wheel in it they would have to advertise it with a higher co2 emission.

#14 dalzell

dalzell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta zetec 1.25
Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

Dave

i did not get spare wheel either but after contacting Ford and dealership the dealership supplied me with a complete spare wheel kit, this was after i had car for 4 weeks
John

#15 hedgepig

hedgepig

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

I think the only problem here is that some dealers don't ask whether you want the spare or not.

It's a no cost option and the brochure quite clearly states this.

When I ordered mine in December I specified a spare wheel in my spec so I don't know whether they would have mentioned it or not--only difference I can see it makes is a small amount of space in the boot--I don't believe it would affect the emissions as that's based on engine output surely.

What a fantastic car though--easily a worthy winner of the Whatcar awards.

Anyone who hasn't ordered one be aware that the prices will be increased by Ford on 2nd Feb so you've only got this weekend!!!!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users