Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No spare wheel !

davethescoot

Hi guys, after owning several fiestas over the years, I'm buying a new Zetec 1.25.

Now call me old fashioned but now I've found out that I wont have a spare wheel, just a tub of gunge, and a tyre inflater, I feel like moving to a different brand of car.

I know other car makers are going this way too, but am I worrying about nothing?,should I buy a spare from Ford myself, (because I love the look of the '09 model)?

Or am I right in thinking what a ridiculous, and penny pinching idea it is not to be supplied with a spare by the manufacturer.I dont want to wait hours for a breakdown truck if the sidewall has ripped out of my tyre,I just want to be able to CHANGE THE B****Y WHEEL !!

Your thoughts please guys

Dave

Just picked my new fiesta up and yes, no spare wheel, I feel the same as you, pennypinching gone too far

Hi guys, after owning several fiestas over the years, I'm buying a new Zetec 1.25.

Now call me old fashioned but now I've found out that I wont have a spare wheel, just a tub of gunge, and a tyre inflater, I feel like moving to a different brand of car.

I know other car makers are going this way too, but am I worrying about nothing?,should I buy a spare from Ford myself, (because I love the look of the '09 model)?

Or am I right in thinking what a ridiculous, and penny pinching idea it is not to be supplied with a spare by the manufacturer.I dont want to wait hours for a breakdown truck if the sidewall has ripped out of my tyre,I just want to be able to CHANGE THE B****Y WHEEL !!

Dave

If they haven't designed the car to carry a spare wheel, then if you buy one where are you gonna put it without using boot space? :huh: Unless you're ok with that, then it beats waiting for recovery!

If they haven't designed the car to carry a spare wheel, then if you buy one where are you gonna put it without using boot space? :huh: Unless you're ok with that, then it beats waiting for recovery!

[/quote

The boot floor is the same as the previous fiesta.....but anyway,.....panic over,Ford offer a no cost option of spare wheel, jack and wheel brace, to customers who want it.(I only found that out after looking at a road test on the internet, (Honest John.co.UK)...... the salesman who served me had no idea !!!)

Anyway, thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to December 1st, and picking up my new Ztec.

regards

Dave

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully i'll pick up my new Zetec in a couple of weeks (i say hopefull but seeing as the dealers cant give me a reg or chassis number yet....). I'll ask the dealers about spare wheel, totally slipped my mind as being a girl i was just entranced by the ambient lights..... :-)

Hi,

I've had my new fiesta 1.4 titanium 3 weeks now. I've got a spare wheel. Had to order it at time of buying car, But it was free.I so did'nt want that can of foam

Hi,

I've had my new fiesta 1.4 titanium 3 weeks now. I've got a spare wheel. Had to order it at time of buying car, But it was free.I so did'nt want that can of foam

Did you get the jack and wheel brace too?

Dave

Yep.. It's under the spare wheel, ( just checked).

I didn't get a spare tyre either, not amused after years of buying Ford Fiestas, I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow, see if I can get one now or whether I will have to pay. Apart from that the car is great.

• 2 months later...
I didn't get a spare tyre either, not amused after years of buying Ford Fiestas, I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow, see if I can get one now or whether I will have to pay. Apart from that the car is great.

Got my spare wheel from the dealer today, it's free too, after I complained.

Hi I asked my ford dealer why the spare wheel was an optional extra and he told me that for the cars to get a lower co2 emission band they advertise the cars weight without a spare wheel, but if they add the spare wheel this adds extra weight to the car and therefore increases the co2 emissions, so to get round this it is a free optional extra. So basically if the car already had a spare wheel in it they would have to advertise it with a higher co2 emission.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

i did not get spare wheel either but after contacting Ford and dealership the dealership supplied me with a complete spare wheel kit, this was after i had car for 4 weeks

John

I think the only problem here is that some dealers don't ask whether you want the spare or not.

It's a no cost option and the brochure quite clearly states this.

When I ordered mine in December I specified a spare wheel in my spec so I don't know whether they would have mentioned it or not--only difference I can see it makes is a small amount of space in the boot--I don't believe it would affect the emissions as that's based on engine output surely.

What a fantastic car though--easily a worthy winner of the Whatcar awards.

Anyone who hasn't ordered one be aware that the prices will be increased by Ford on 2nd Feb so you've only got this weekend!!!!

Hello

I am afraif that the new shape Fiesta comes with the tyre inflator kit as standard. Its all to do with Ford trying to save weight and make the car economical.

However, if you are prepared to wait then you can have the car supplied with a spare wheel and a jack, but this is factory order only and takes around 6 weeks. Thankfully though it does not cost any extra.

If you have already taken delivery of your new fiesta and it has the tyre inflator, then it is possible for you to BUY a standard steel spare wheel, have a tyre fitted to it, and also buy a jack etc from your dealer. You can then just pop these in the boot yourself in place of the inflator. The parts yiu will need are aws follows:

> steel spare wheel

> tyre (plus valve plus balancing)

> foam tray

> jack

> wheel nut spanner (if not already present)

> central threaded spindle to secure wheel to boot floor

You just then assemble the above and put them in the spare wheel well in place on the inflator kit.

I totally agree with your comments - the inflator kit is ok for minor punctures, but any gouge in the tyre wall bigger than 4mm and you will need a tow truck. This is not good.

I ordered my Zetec from the factory with a conventional spare. It took 6 weeks to arrive, but its worth it to have the peace of mind of a conventional spare wheel.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Mav'

Im all for saving weight but do think they should make it more of an option because as many of you here as well didnt get told about it. I read it on the net.

I have full RAC cover so im not to fussed, ill just call them out :)

Another thing to consider is the fact that tyre foam is notoriously harmful to the rubber. Once you use it, the tyre has to be disposed of. NO tyre shop ive ever been to will repair a tyre that has had foam pumped into it. They get quite angry about it actually!

The story about the CO2 emissions is a nice one, but IMO a load of bull. A space saver spare weighs about the same as a morning poo, and the jack and brace arnt exactly weighty. Saying adding them will push the car into another carbon bracket is pretty cheeky if you ask me! Consider how many wheels, wheelbraces and jacks they will save having to buy and its obvious its a money saving scam. Especially in the current economic climate.

If you've bought a new fiesta without the spare, go to eBay and find a space saver spare with the cars stud pattern, and a cheap wheel brace and jack. Going to the dealers will cost over twice if not 3 times that i rekon!

The spare wheel is a No Cost Option on the New Fiesta. (I sell Fords) The salesman should have asked when you ordered if you wanted one then it would cost nothing otherwise ordering one after delivery will be about £130

You do all realise that most new cars come with a can of tyre weld, or similar, as a space saving method!?

All you have to do is connect it to a tyre and press, hey presto, tyre is good for a few miles again!!!

Saves weight and space, as mentioned, also easier than getting dirty and changing a trye in the dark or wet!

Just thought i'd mention it seeing as so many people have no clue

Dave

Also if the sidewall has ripped out of your tyre then, unless you were going very slowly, you'd have probably crashed!

You do all realise that most new cars come with a can of tyre weld, or similar, as a space saving method!?

All you have to do is connect it to a tyre and press, hey presto, tyre is good for a few miles again!!!

Saves weight and space, as mentioned, also easier than getting dirty and changing a trye in the dark or wet!

Just thought i'd mention it seeing as so many people have no clue

But as i mentioned on my previous post, using tyre weld effectively writes off the tyre, so when before if you used a spare you can get the puncture mended, if you use weld, you have to buy a new tyre. And if youve got a half worn tyre, your have to buy two! Not to mention what someone else mentioned that if your sidewall splits, tyre weld is useless. And you dont have to be driving in this situation either, tyres can get slashed by bored teenagers, or a jagged stone on a rough road can bugger a tyre easily enough.

A spare is far more sensible, and cheaper in the long run.

The spare wheel is a No Cost Option on the New Fiesta. (I sell Fords) The salesman should have asked when you ordered if you wanted one then it would cost nothing otherwise ordering one after delivery will be about £130

Surely if we didnt get asked we can get one still? I still want it so i can have the choice to have it in the car or leave it at home

Surely if we didnt get asked we can get one still? I still want it so i can have the choice to have it in the car or leave it at home

I had my Fiesta Zetec over 4 weeks when I raised subject with Ford and dealership. I was not told of option by dealership, Ford said it was up to the dealership. I had some discussion with dealership and wrote to their Head Office. They were willing to sell me a kit at over £100 but after lengthy discussion told them not to bother. Next morning they called me and said they had a spare wheel kit for me which I collected. I feel better now as did not fancy the prospect of having side wall damage and waiting a long time in assistance.

John

I had my Fiesta Zetec over 4 weeks when I raised subject with Ford and dealership. I was not told of option by dealership, Ford said it was up to the dealership. I had some discussion with dealership and wrote to their Head Office. They were willing to sell me a kit at over £100 but after lengthy discussion told them not to bother. Next morning they called me and said they had a spare wheel kit for me which I collected. I feel better now as did not fancy the prospect of having side wall damage and waiting a long time in assistance.

John

Thanks for that. I will get onto my ford dealer asap. I havent taken delivery of mine yet so should be fine, hopefully :)