Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Advice Before Buying Please.

smallen07

Hi all, just wanted to clear something up in here as I am a little confused with some different answers I have seen about certain things.

I currently drive a 2008 1.8 zetec and am getting around 30-32mpg at best from it, on a mix of in town and country roads However I am now starting to do more miles and was looking at going to a diesel for the first time as I am currently doing 180-200 miles at £40 a week. I had test driven the 1.6 tdci zetec and the 1.8tdci zetec and didnt really notice a difference on the power/pulling ability on the test drive I took, however I am arranging to do a much longer/thorough one during the week. I just want to know if anyone else has noticed any shortfalls of the 1.6 in this department, and the average mpg you are getting out of your cars.

Also after reading numerous posts/threads about the DPF, I am now currently thinking of staying well away from it, and want to make sure I am right in saying the 1.8 does not have one. I am looking at getting a 57/08/58 reg car.

Any help would be appreciated. I have looked at the other posts and just want to be 100% sure in my thinking as the DPF posts are all negative.

Thanks Sam

hiya sam i drive a 2010 1.6 tdci and i find it excellent and i can do 74 mpg on a eco run its does about 49 mpg if only used for town driving but we often avarage 55 mpg out of a tank :) we never had any dpf problems and ours has done 19,000 miles , also the road tax for the 1.6 is only 20 a year the 1.8 is more :) hope this help josh :)

Hi Sam i also drive a 1.6 focus zetec 09 reg... i love this car. i have had petrols and it was eating my money, i was going to the petrol station every 5days £40 everytime and since having my 1.6 tdci i put £60-£70 every 15-16 days. I would recommend getting the 1.6 ... i was like you back in october i couldnt decided between the 1.6 and 1.8 tdci, but i have noticed its a lot harder to find a 1.8 and i have read so many bad reviews about the 1.8 engine. When i was talking to the salesman at ford he said they had stopped making the 1.8 model due to so many problems. And another plus side to the 1.6 is the low road tax which also drew me into buying the smaller engine, as josh has mentioned. Go for it 1.6 all the way haha ;) Rachel

Hi all, just wanted to clear something up in here as I am a little confused with some different answers I have seen about certain things.

I currently drive a 2008 1.8 zetec and am getting around 30-32mpg at best from it, on a mix of in town and country roads However I am now starting to do more miles and was looking at going to a diesel for the first time as I am currently doing 180-200 miles at £40 a week. I had test driven the 1.6 tdci zetec and the 1.8tdci zetec and didnt really notice a difference on the power/pulling ability on the test drive I took, however I am arranging to do a much longer/thorough one during the week. I just want to know if anyone else has noticed any shortfalls of the 1.6 in this department, and the average mpg you are getting out of your cars.

Also after reading numerous posts/threads about the DPF, I am now currently thinking of staying well away from it, and want to make sure I am right in saying the 1.8 does not have one. I am looking at getting a 57/08/58 reg car.

Any help would be appreciated. I have looked at the other posts and just want to be 100% sure in my thinking as the DPF posts are all negative.

Thanks Sam

Err Whats DPF ?? :unsure::unsure:

Forum Search :) there are several posts with what a DPF is or "Diesel Particulate Filter" look at the last 5 pages of posts, I am sure its in there at least twice :D