Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buckled 16" Alloys!!!

Charlotte Dale

Have you had buckled alloys on the titanium 16 inch alloys?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had buckled alloys on the titanium 16 inch alloys?

• 3 months later...

Went to Kwik Fit with a vibration through the steering wheel, thinking I'd lost a wheel weight, off with the front wheels and was told I had a buckled wheel and was like completely gutted. 2 minutes later I was told the other front wheel was far was than the first. Yay for me, 2 new wheels and at least 1 tyre needed... Disgraceful, I have a 7 month old car with 2 buckled alloys? I've had 3 cars including the Fiesta, the other 2 cars both had alloy wheels; a Daewoo Matiz that hit a pot hold and lost a tyre, but the alloy was structurally undamaged, at all, just scratched. Then with my later car, a Chevrolet Matiz, I had Lenso RS5's on it and they hit plenty of pot holes without any problem whatsoever. Both my parents have said throughout their driving lives (40 years each or so) they've never buckled wheels.

Now for the argument with Ford...

I have the 17" Zetec S alloys and all 4 were buckled. I've changed the worst one at a cost of £150. Will do the others over time. According to a few local tyre fitters, ford alloys are notorious for getting buckled.

Ford have told me 3 of my 17" streetpack alloys are buckled, though no action required yet. Pretty sure I've buckled the 4th now as well.

Pretty pathetic how many of these alloys are buckling, surely these wheels are unfit for purpose? Not sure who to take this up with to be honest, but something needs doing. I'm desperately needing to replace 1, the guy at Kwik Fit said there's a good chance of blow-out, not to go on motorways or drive hard... Bulge in the sidewall. Going in on Monday to see what Ford say, and getting them to look at the back ones. Thing is, I need at least 2 wheels and tyres; what if I need 4? How many people carry around £700 for wheels and tyres? (maybe more), Ford need to admit they've screwed up.

All,

Im sure you all agree that it is far too common, as a 2 x wheel victim myself I know first hand the issues, I am still after all these months still arguing with the Ford Executive team who work directly for the CEO, the problem is that Ford can just blame the councils and although we all know that it isn't that the issue is that the damage is caused by potholes, curbs etc and I don't think anyone would say there wheel just buckled while driving BUT the point is the wheels should not have buckled under such a low pressure impact, I know someone else on here is trying via trading standards in relation to his filler cap and I hope he gets it sorted I do however feel that we need some more action in bulk to get this one anywhere, I will speak to my contact at the Executive Office tomorrow or Friday and see if she is OK for me to give out an email or phone number for her so that everyone who has had this can contact them, I can only hope that enough people complaining will actually lead to anything.

I have tried contacting watchdog but they did not respond, I ran a poll on another thread about it and to be honest the results speak for themselves.

If anyone has any idea on anything else we can do let us know, I also would like to say to the people out there who have not got buckled alloys and think we are all just rubbish drivers, there is a high chance that they either have got them without realising (easily done) or they will probably at some point get a buckle.

I am basing that on the fact there are reports of cars all the way back at 58 plate up to 12 plate having this issue so it is not about a bad batch.

I will post any updates if I get any.

Eek! I'm scared after reading all of these problems!

• 7 months later...

I've was doing 20 and hit a submerged pothole and completely stopped, haven't had my wheel off to check for any buckling but its just had its mot and passed

Just had to buy a new 16" 10 spoke for my zetec s after hitting a huge pot hole and buckling it, another £140 gone. Although I was going to change it anyway after managing to scrape it in a Tesco car park.

Irritating, as I know where most of the pot holes are on my journeys, then BANG, one springs out of nowhere :angry:

I've buckled at least 2 after replacing the last set. Just a shame after market wheels look like aids most of the time.

i own a titanium with 16 inch 15 spoke alloys traveling along last week on the great roads of coventry (joke), doing 30 never seen the pothole in the road and buckled the passenger side front on the inside bad enough to feel vibrations in the steering and rear to a lesser extent also on the inside. Got my car booked in tomorrow at my local ford dealer to change the front one at a cost of £180 just for the alloy.

Does anybody know if you can repair alloys as i will keep the one there taking off for spare as there a good chance i'll need it after reading the comments on here. also has anyone claimed against the council responsible and how do you go about doing it any help would be grateful.

If they're buckled they can't be repaired, light buckles perhaps but I wouldn't risk it with those.

And you can try and claim but good luck, they'll a lot of the time tell you to prove it, and then they'll probably fill the hole in like it never existed. pests the lot of them.

Ford are asking me to bring mine in to be inspected, I've got in contact with Auto Express again and I'm looking to see if the wheels can be professionally tested, just not sure where to begin >.<

Edited by Stoney871
no naughty words, sorry

cheers for the reply, had the alloy changed today at my local ford garage thankfully the tyre was still ok so just got it changed over. All in all though it still cost £250 with fitting and getting the tracking checked, the receptionist was saying she had loads of people come in with the same problem. what made me laugh the most was a brochure on all the different alloys that ford sell and how there tested on all the different types of surface. Maybe they should try driving them on bus routes in towns :D :D

Lol Stoney changing my post :P

Pests sounds more amusing, getting into bad habbits saying that left right and centre >.< apologies.

Comes to it now, 4 wheels need replacing, BADLY. So here's the story;

Took my car to Ford today and asked for all 4 wheels to be checked, n/s and o/s front buckled and the rears were apparantly fine (I also have white sidelights, headlights and reversing lights SHOCK HORROR), so I was like fine, I'll go see my dad at work. We then decide to inspect ourselves and my god the state... the front o/s has 5 buckles on the inside of the wheel and 3 on the outside of the wheel, and as a data point we check the n/s, which is worse... then I'm like meh it's jacked up let's check the rears anyway as I span it free in the air whilst on a jack and it seemed a bit off, and behold! The back n/s is buckled to hell, so I'm like right check the o/s, as is that one too. So, Ford managed to tell me my lights are white, but don't actually check the rear wheels for what they were meant too? Nice.

So they're honestly trying to say there isn't an issue with the wheels? The car has covered less than 25K, and has had 2 front tyres 6 months in, and now needs 4 wheels that have at least 3 buckles per wheel, with around 8 or 9 being the most on each front. Sorry, but this is absolute pig muck, you can't tell me probably 20 buckles car-wide isn't an issue, they're unfit for purpose. I'm looking at taking evidence of these wheels and my old ones (that I have kept for evidence purposes) and really going to push for this now. It's despicable how they're treating customers.

Lol Stoney changing my post :P

Apologies for that mate but we're having a naughty word purge, even only mildly cheeky words are no longer permitted.

So that's half my posts being edited as i type :P