Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow Plug Indicator Light/limp Mode

carrots361

Hi,

I recently purchased a 52 plate Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Ghia

On my first long journey the head gasket went. I had this all fixed and I got it back Friday and on Sunday I was driving and dropped it down to 3rd to overtake, as soon as I went over 3000rpm the car seemed to lose power and the Glow Plug indicator light started flashing. I then left it for a bit, then drove home, making sure I didn’t go over 3000rpm and it was fine. As I was approaching home I thought I’d test to see what happened if I went over 3000rpm. Low and behold, the same thing happened! Only this time the battery light and oil light came on and the car conked out!

When the AA bloke came out he plug in his computer and there weren’t any fault codes??

I drove it to work again this morning, keeping under 3000rpm and it was fine

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

did the battery light and oil light come on after the engine turned off or before?

as for the glow plug indicator flashing that would suggest a faulty glow plug. you can test by taking the glow plug out and directly connecting to the battery, if it glows its fine.

Thinking about it, I think the battery and oil light came on when the car cut out. Dont think its the glow plugs as surely that wouldnt put the car in limp mode?

i would say if the battery and oil light came on when the engine went off i would say thats the result of a stall...you know like when you wait for the car to do self checks...so totally normal. but not normal for the engine to blink glow plugs then turn off.

i have a diesel myself and just getting to know about glow plugs really...i did some reading and apparently the crankshaft sensor is to blame.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?26838-Diesel-03-Mondeo-Flashing-Glowplug-Light

its regarding mondeos, but same fault

or camshaft sensor

If the car didnt go above 45mph then you were in limp home mode, probably because the ECU picked up an imbalance of combustion within the engine. the Glow plug will not induce an error code unless it misfires, as they dont have sensors directly linked to the glow plugs. Likelyhood is the glow plugs will all need replacing, and potentially the coil pack.

EDIT: after reading Johns post, can you confirm if the engine cut out the first time, or if it just lost power over 3000RPM?

The first time the engine did not cut out, there was just a loss of power so I pulled over

A similar has happened to my wife's 02 plate Tdci.

It'll happen when we're on a motorway and she puts her foot down to overtake. The car looses power and the glow plug light comes on. The first time we called the AA out and they couldn't find a fault but on the 2 times since we're just pulled over, turned the engine off and on and its been fine. I read somewhere that it's down to a faulty throttle sensor, and the solution is to change the accelarator pedal.

Not sure about the cutting out though. Hope this helps!

UPDATE - The mechanic fitted a new crankshaft sensor or something along those lines. Car then went really well on the test drive. However, when plugged into the computer it gave a new code?!?! Something about high fuel pressure.....?

could be fuel filter giving the code...when was the last time it was changed?

It had a new fuel pump (£1000) fitted last year. The new fault code is something along the lines of 'fuel regulator' something or other. Sorry to be vague but only had a quick convo with the mechanic

The car is now just cutting out on test drives and the glow plug indicator light coming on. The mechanic has phoned Ford and they won't tell him where the fuel regulator is situated!?

Local Ford dealer won't tell us where the fuel regulator is located

Dont buy the car. It may look good, but you have had all these problems before you even bought it, so I would say - walk away!

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread and saw you already bought the car - in that case - Take it back and get your money back as its not fit for purpose!

It was a private sale, nothing I can do!

Sorry to hear that. I would suggest for a quick (but expensive) diagnostic - take it to Ford. If it was me, I would rather pay the bigger bill and have it fixed, than to have the stress of just buying a car, and all the difficulties you are experiencing. I couldnt tell you where the regulator is, but the error could be down to any number of things, normally glow plugs dont illuminate unless its an error with the glowplugs.

You might have to bite the bullet on this one!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club