• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paddy

paddy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

hi just wanted to know what is the best way to get your ipod connected to your ford radio, my radio does not have a aux port or usb.
is there any ports at the back of the radio to connect your ipod into.

or what do you guys do?

thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Millsey

Millsey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia
Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

hi just wanted to know what is the best way to get your ipod connected to your ford radio, my radio does not have a aux port or usb.
is there any ports at the back of the radio to connect your ipod into.

or what do you guys do?

thanks

I use a Griffin Itrip... You can pick them up for about 10... You plug it into the bottom of you Ipod and tune both your itrip and your stereo to a "free" channel frequency and voila! Ipod plays through your stereo... Can't recommend them enough, brilliant piece of kit!

You can get them at Amazon... Here

#3 ally031190

ally031190

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: 02 Focus Ghia, 1.8l, 5 Door

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

I use a Griffin Itrip... You can pick them up for about 10... You plug it into the bottom of you Ipod and tune both your itrip and your stereo to a "free" channel frequency and voila! Ipod plays through your stereo... Can't recommend them enough, brilliant piece of kit!

You can get them at Amazon... Here

Can you use the steering wheel controls to control whats playing/volume still?

Cheers,

Ally

#4 johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: 02 Focus LX TDCi
Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

No - the Griffin iTrip is an FM modulator - it basically turns your iPod into a radio station, which you tune the FM radio on your headunit to, which then receives the signal the iTrip is broadcasting.
If you want to be able to operate your iPod from your headunit, depending on which headunit you have, you can go for something from 'Connects2' or you can swap your headunit our for an aftermarket version and then buy the correct adaptor for your steering wheel controls to connect to the headunit. Either way, it's probably not going to be cheap.

#5 ally031190

ally031190

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

No - the Griffin iTrip is an FM modulator - it basically turns your iPod into a radio station, which you tune the FM radio on your headunit to, which then receives the signal the iTrip is broadcasting.
If you want to be able to operate your iPod from your headunit, depending on which headunit you have, you can go for something from 'Connects2' or you can swap your headunit our for an aftermarket version and then buy the correct adaptor for your steering wheel controls to connect to the headunit. Either way, it's probably not going to be cheap.

Thanks for the reply and information Johnny. I geussed that was the case with the iTrip but wanted to be sure. I have a 52 plate focus ghia with the 6000CD player.

Cheers again,

Ally

#6 johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

the other thing you can do Ally is buy a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play. The first version is available on ebay and from bigpockets for about 25 + P&P - it has an interface along with a separate joystick and display, both of which you dashmount - if you're not too happy about doing stuff like that yourself, you'll probably pay anywhere between 20 and 40 to have it installed.

#7 ally031190

ally031190

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

the other thing you can do Ally is buy a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play. The first version is available on ebay and from bigpockets for about 25 + P&P - it has an interface along with a separate joystick and display, both of which you dashmount - if you're not too happy about doing stuff like that yourself, you'll probably pay anywhere between 20 and 40 to have it installed.

I see. Thats a pretty cool piece of kit!! Thanks for the 2nd reply too. Been thinking, and am wondering the easiest/cheapest way of connecting a USB pen drive with my music on to my head unit? Sorry to be a pain, I'm just looking at all the options and although I've done a fair few hours research, just wanted to see what you guys could come up with

Thanks

Ally

#8 johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Buy a headunit that allows you to connect a USB device - you can probably get a Sony one for less than 100. I wouldn't muck about trying to get you 6000CD to connect up - you can get a unit from connects2 that converts your Ford connectors to ISO and allows you to connect your remote stalk.
Be interested to know what your research has yielded so far

#9 ally031190

ally031190

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

Buy a headunit that allows you to connect a USB device - you can probably get a Sony one for less than 100. I wouldn't muck about trying to get you 6000CD to connect up - you can get a unit from connects2 that converts your Ford connectors to ISO and allows you to connect your remote stalk.
Be interested to know what your research has yielded so far

Basically the reasearch i've done has lead me to an adapter which connects via IP-Bus.

Adapter

However I'm not 100% that would work ok and it is 70.

In the mean time I've got copied cd's playing on my standard unit.. which took some doing lol

#10 johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

The standard unit should play audio CDs copied onto CD-Rs - they're a bit choosy over whether they play CD-RWs and the CD6000 in my 2005 Mondeo wouldn't play them.
If you're going to spend 70 quid, buy a Sony headunit with a USB port on the front and a unilink socket on the back that you can plug the iPod into.

#11 ally031190

ally031190

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

The standard unit should play audio CDs copied onto CD-Rs - they're a bit choosy over whether they play CD-RWs and the CD6000 in my 2005 Mondeo wouldn't play them.
If you're going to spend 70 quid, buy a Sony headunit with a USB port on the front and a unilink socket on the back that you can plug the iPod into.

Yeah, it plays CD-R Audio Cd's with the files all in .AIFF format most of the time fine. Fair point, I'm still trying to think about which route to go and since money is a little low it gives me time to make up my mind.

Thanks again for the help.

Ally

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users