Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much Discount For Paying In Cash?

chris m

I've never bought a new car before, and I was wondering how much discount I should expect or try to negotiate if I pay in cash?

Many thanks for any advice.

Very little - dealers make money from commission selling you finance or (sometimes) a part-ex that your trade in.

I don't think that you can pay more than 10 grand in cash for anything, the retailer has to notify the authorities under money laundering laws.

Any Ford main dealer I believe are part of the Ford Co network and I wouldn't think that cash would appeal to them.

I don't think that you can pay more than 10 grand in cash for anything, the retailer has to notify the authorities under money laundering laws.Any Ford main dealer I believe are part of the Ford Co network and I wouldn't think that cash would appeal to them.

I did... you just have to confirm with the bank that the transaction is valid and they ask you a few security questions, thats all. I saved up years for my car, only reason I paid cash is because I didn't want to pay interest.

I did... you just have to confirm with the bank that the transaction is valid and they ask you a few security questions, thats all. I saved up years for my car, only reason I paid cash is because I didn't want to pay interest.

Just out of curiosity - why not bank transfer or debit card from that account?

Just out of curiosity - why not bank transfer or debit card from that account?

Ack, didn't really the Q. right, definitely think its time for bed! I did pay most of it with my debit card, but for some reason I had a limit on how much money I could have on my card so I had to pay some in cash.

I really wouldn't want to walk around with that much cash!!!!

You might not be able to get a lot of discount, but I did manage to get matts, a full tank of deisel and supaguard (or whatever it’s called) applied to the paint work.

I did think afterwards I should have tried to include a free first service too :huh:

- just remember if you don’t ask you certainly won’t get and there are plenty of Ford dealers out there so shop around or phone around and ask what they can do for you :)

I doubt you'll get any discount just for paying in cash, you'll have to work harder than that. Just go in with some online quotes and haggle hard.

I only got £200 for paying cash.

I doubt you'll get any discount just for paying in cash, you'll have to work harder than that. Just go in with some online quotes and haggle hard.

Yes, that's what I did. I printed out the price sheet from Drive The Deal and they knocked £2000 off.

Negotiate your discount without mentioning it's a cash sale, then when you've got a deal you like then say "oh by the way is there anymore off for cash". ;)

I don't think that you can pay more than 10 grand in cash for anything, the retailer has to notify the authorities under money laundering laws.

Any Ford main dealer I believe are part of the Ford Co network and I wouldn't think that cash would appeal to them.

the singer finley quaye bought is grandad a car with cash, he was investigated for laundering money :lol:

Yes, that's what I did. I printed out the price sheet from Drive The Deal and they knocked £2000 off.

I was looking into doing this and was wondering if it worked - did you just take the page with the quote directly off the website or was it the quote they get you from a dealer?

Sorry if that doesnt make sense!

I was looking into doing this and was wondering if it worked - did you just take the page with the quote directly off the website or was it the quote they get you from a dealer?

Sorry if that doesnt make sense!

I took two pages, the first was the list of all the options available, the prices of each and boxes checked next to the ones I wanted with the total manufacturers list price at the top. The second page was the actual quote page showing the Drive The Deal price compared with the list price, basically it was the first two pages you go through on the website after choosing car model.

They could not match the price because I had a part-ex but they said they would beat it if I sold my car privately instead, I couldn't do that though because there was still money owed on it.

I've also done the same thing on the last car I bought, I think it saves a lot of hassle because they then tend to give you their absolute best price rather than having to do a hard negotiation.

I took two pages, the first was the list of all the options available, the prices of each and boxes checked next to the ones I wanted with the total manufacturers list price at the top. The second page was the actual quote page showing the Drive The Deal price compared with the list price, basically it was the first two pages you go through on the website after choosing car model.

They could not match the price because I had a part-ex but they said they would beat it if I sold my car privately instead, I couldn't do that though because there was still money owed on it.

I've also done the same thing on the last car I bought, I think it saves a lot of hassle because they then tend to give you their absolute best price rather than having to do a hard negotiation.

That's good to know, I'll give that a try when I next go to the dealers and see what they say..

Thanks

That's good to know, I'll give that a try when I next go to the dealers and see what they say..

Thanks

I haggled with Allen Ford when buying mine. Saved £2,000 off list price. [£15,145 > £13,100]

As above took print outs from websites and phoned every Ford dealer from here to Birmingham to get a quote. They went in office to speak to finance manager and beat it :)

I haggled with Allen Ford when buying mine. Saved £2,000 off list price. [£15,145 > £13,100]

As above took print outs from websites and phoned every Ford dealer from here to Birmingham to get a quote. They went in office to speak to finance manager and beat it :)

Was that with John?

When I went to speak to him about a quote that I had (I got quoted £14,585 for a Titanium 1.6 with dress up kit, keyless entry and city pack which retailed at £16800 in March) which gave me a saving of around £2300 - he went to speak to the finance manager and he said they would not be able to beat that price and even if they were to match it they would lose £475.

However I do think the quote I had could have been better than what I got..as I got employee discount of £1500 which then would only give me an extra saving of £800..

The quote I get from Drive the Deals site for the same spec plus the interior pack 2 and spare wheel comes in at £13,938.96 which equals a saving of £3201.07

What do you think?

Yes it was John and he went to speak to Darren.

When he showed me their screen they made it look like (and told me) they were only making £60 on my car.

Whether this is true or not or they just did it to meet some volume target I do not know... (it was end of the month)

I would walk away if they cannot match those prices - drivethedeal put you in contact with a Ford dealer so you'll get the same warranty!

I'll give the dealer that I got the quote from a ring then and see what they say - it was John Grose in Ipswich, thats who the Ford Design Team employees get their cars through..

Are you actually in Northampton then iNath or are you surrounding areas?

I'll give the dealer that I got the quote from a ring then and see what they say - it was John Grose in Ipswich, thats who the Ford Design Team employees get their cars through..

Are you actually in Northampton then iNath or are you surrounding areas?

Just tried to PM you but says you can't receive any new messages?

<_< random..see if it does it again..i just deleted a couple that were in there..although I didnt think there was a limit :huh:

i saved a lot when paying cash so i dont think it makes much difference.

my car was listed at abou £12000

saved about £2500 on my car exchange ,then the rest was from ford privledge and just getting the price down , overall i payed £8000 cash

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club