Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Engine Problem, Legal Advise Please.

FORD 1

My Smax Titanium is 3.5 years old and has therefore just slipped out of warranty. Last month the engine malfunction light came on accompanied by loss of power and a machine gun type noise.

The dealer has removed the cylinder head which revealed some bits of metal in one cylinder which have extensively damaged the top of the piston and the valves and surrounding cylinder head face. There was no compression from this cylider so they are going to remove the piston expecting to find a broken piston ring.

Given that the warranty has only just expired and the vehicle has only done 28k miles we are seriously angry. I would appreciate advice on how to tackle Ford over this? I don't just want some goodwill I want them to fund the repair. I believe the sales of goods act stipulates items less than five years old last a reasonable time.

Does anyone know the legal term and maybe sales of goods act reference so I can quote it in a letter.

In case I have no luck does anyone know a source of recon engines or someone who can repair mine. I believe the recon people require an exchange engine, would the damage to mine preclude that?

Thanks

I can’t see Ford paying out 100% for repairs but as long as you have had the engine serviced by Ford at the regular intervals I would certainly push for help towards costs, maybe 50/50.

If your dealer is being fair he should contact Ford HQ on your behalf or you could find Fords customer care number and give them a ring followed by a letter.

I guess the more you push the more chance there is of some help towards costs.

Hi try contacting your local Trading Standards, now known as Consumer Direct, they know the law and will send you template letters with all the legal jargon, on a recent problem i had with a garage they were realy helpfull and i got my money back they are definatly worth a try. Hope that helps Dave

I can’t see Ford paying out 100% for repairs but as long as you have had the engine serviced by Ford at the regular intervals I would certainly push for help towards costs, maybe 50/50.

If your dealer is being fair he should contact Ford HQ on your behalf or you could find Fords customer care number and give them a ring followed by a letter.

I guess the more you push the more chance there is of some help towards costs.

As quoted, if you have had the car from new with warrenty, which normally specifies that the car be serviced at regular itervals and you have the service booked stamped stating that you have them done, then I reckon you have them by the short and curlies even though the warrenty has only just expired.