Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hids On Mk7

orcomma

103 members have voted

1. 1. Aftermarket HIDs on the road?

• Aaargh! I'm blind
    • Yaarrgh! I'm cool
    • Oiiii. You're Nicked

My insurance just said they're modified headlights, no complicated options or anything & that's after explaining exactly what I've done

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Hmm... When I looked last time, the options appeared to be for additional lights and things. Is yours down as that because you changed the whole headlight unit?

Amongst other mods like dashcams and parking sensors (not really mods, but added to the car above standard spec), I also have exterior decorative changes added.

Where do you all get them from? Except Lee a k is where you got yours :P hehe

I called my insurer and they just said they were putting it as headlight modifications

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Okay, and they were fine, no questions about self levelling, etc.? Who are you with?

I told them everything I did with the headlights and that there's no self levelling or washers but they're not required. I basically told them anything they could ever want or need to know. I'm with Priviledge

Is it not possible to purchase after market Projector housings for the MK6? I'm just thinking this because not a lot of people would go through the stress of doing what you did Kieran, only reason why I did it was because my MK7 Titanium had the projectors, so it was a straight plug and play for me.

You can purchase aftermarket ones, but in my opinion they look chavvy as hell & I cannot stand them. as far as I know there is only 3 sets of the headlights the same as mine. There may be more but there's thousands of aftermarket ones

This is how I read the legality of hids.

"HID is only legal if the headlight unit is correctly 'E' marked. Halogen headlight units and Xenon HID units have different 'E' marks. The only way for an HID Kit to be road legal is if the whole headlight unit is replaced with one specifically designed for HID or the existing headlight unit is reassessed for compliance and assigned a new 'E' mark. As you can imagine, this is vastly inconvenient and expensive. In short, unless you take steps to do all of this then your vehicle will not be road legal "

in a sense there's a difference between being road legal and MOT passable.

VOSA have said specifically

If the bulbs are marked 2000lumens or more, then they Re to be treated as HIDs. This means Self levelling & washers could be fitted & if they are then they must work.

If they are less than 2000lumens & the Beam pattern is correct then they are to be treated as standard headlights.

So that's the MOT dealt with.

In terms of legality, the HID "kit" I have is E marked & so are the headlights. No, they were not assessed in their current condition so you could say their E marking is no longer valid. But, for you to put a traffic officer in such a bad mood that he thinks through all these points to pick faults, then you deserve it

It's not about what the fuzz or MOT bods say. It's about your insurance using it against you.

I know you've taken you time to make sure there set up correctly and that other road users don't suffer but at the end of the day we all know they've never been factory fitted and can't be retro fitted. The insurance companies may note it as a mod but will use it against us if they can.

I personally have used hids and loved them but find standard fitment bulbs work well to.

We should be looking to improve visibility at night for ourselves and other road users and not just for looks ;) :p

• Like 2

The insurance advisor asked why I'd done all the work for the modification and I said exactly that. To improve visibility for myself and other road users.

They have a recorded phone call of everything I've said & I'll soon have a written confirmation of the mod itself (insurance renewal soon so they haven't sent ammended paperwork). Once I've got written confirmation then I'd fight my case for as long as possible if necessary

Have you tried the standard mk6 headlights? They're terrifying. Whatever bulbs you use they're horrific & in my opinion dangerous. After crashing my first fiesta and collecting the second, the drive home with standard headlights was a slow terrifying ordeal. Luckily one of my grandparents was in a car in front so lit the way once I realised how bad they were

Well something you should consider. You say VOSA allow light output upto 2k lumens thingies.

35w HIDs with 4300k bulb put out 3100-3400 Lumens, while a 4800K goes down to 2800 Lumens which is still over the limit.

But.. the bulbs don't have markings to say so. Meaning, they're treated as normal lights

The simple answer would be, get a MK 7 and some NightBreaker ;)

The simple answer would be, get a MK 7 and some NightBreaker ;)

I'm saying nothing other than.. TX.. EB.. New job..