Show
Photo
- - - - -

Hids On Mk7

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Hids On Mk7 (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Aftermarket HIDs on the road?

1. Aaargh! I'm blind (28 votes [39.44%])

Percentage of vote: 39.44%

2. Yaarrgh! I'm cool (26 votes [36.62%])

Percentage of vote: 36.62%

3. Oiiii. You're Nicked (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Jason Tierney

Jason Tierney

Local Rep: Yorkshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 MK7 Fiesta Zetec S Ti-VCT

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

Its like the new DRL Law thats comming into effect. A lot of people are saying that now motorbikers/cyclist and older cars with no DRL will become part of the haze and will be less likley to be seen by a car, say pulling out of a junction on a dawn/dusk time of day. I agree with that.

There are a lot of laws that are iffy with many members of the public.

I understand the HID's I have do not cause me any problems but I have friends with HID's One of them is without projector housing for the HI's and its the only one that is remotly annoying ethier comming towards or in the rear view mirror.

Ive come across A bit strong It seems. Its just some members of other Forums out in the interwebz also complain, gets boring after a while. We all know its wrong to. Technically having an exhaust louder than standard is not legal and you can be fined/asked to have the exhaust removed. Thats a crazy law because a LP670-4SV standard is an animal, yet If I put an exhuast on my fiesta, that would be against the law technically(Cant remember if it was this forum or another Ford one that this discussion took place)

Jay

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello
  • Year: 2009

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Ignoramus here. What are HID's ? High Intensity......? What is the cheapest/legal way to upgrade(i.e give better illumination) standard headlights ?

#18 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

Haha out come the HID haters, only on this forum have I seen people ridiculed and bullied out of fitting them.

I've had them on all my cars, never been pulled, never been flashed.

#19 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,565 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

I've had them on all my cars, never been pulled, never been flashed.

*makes mental note to flash Mike at next meet* :P

#20 greenymk7

greenymk7

Area Rep: Midlands (Detailing Guru)

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec-S TDCI

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

thats all well and good mikester. what we are trying to say is no matter what, it is illegal to fit HID's to a fiesta.

To do so it as your own risk, simple as that.

#21 michmash/eddie

michmash/eddie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Of the people that complained about HID's:

How many have went over 20 in a 20 zone 30mph in a 30mph zone? Over 40 in a 40 Zone?(I suspect this is more common, we seem to respect 30 more than 40/50/60/70mph for somereason) etc etc. Have you ever parked on double yellows? Gone through a orange light you could of safley stopped on? Ever got a parking ticket for parking in the wrong place/too long/over a white line/in a hatched box? The list goes on.

My HID's are not any more dazzling than a range rover vouge, a BMW X5 or a Audi A3's. They are clean.They are in projector lights(and lets face it, this is the main concern in my eyes- I agree the halogen light reflectors do not cope well with HID Lights) The suspension levelers on these more expensive cars dont seem to work because we all have the same problem when they are comming towards us on a country road.My lights are far from blue, 6000k because I dont want to draw attention, Never been flashed, I can see the road better, I had uprated standard bulbs in the car but they still didnt do the in car visability much justice.

Kinda drags when people on forums do nothing but complain how agaist the law this or that is. Were all here to help one another, Its good to advise people that may not be aware that they are breaking the law. But I dont think its right to heckel them about it really.

Jay

Its is still ilegal though is it not? Im not trying to 'heckel' anyone. Yes i have been caught speeding, a mistake that i do not intend to do again. If you cause an accident and the police find out that you have retro fitted HIDs ilegaly then im afraid you will not have a leg to stand on and face a very hefty fine etc. (i know a lot about this due to my job!!!)

Bottom line, ILEGAL

#22 Nicola 88

Nicola 88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCI

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

thats all well and good mikester. what we are trying to say is no matter what, it is illegal to fit HID's to a fiesta.

To do so it as your own risk, simple as that.

+1

Ever got a parking ticket for parking in the wrong place/too long

Yeah but thats not really going to cause an accident is it? :unsure:

My dads old primera had xenon headlights as standard, I think it was around the time they were first introduced so he was getting flashed by drivers all the time because they thought he had full beam on.... still legal though.

Anyway HID's are not my thing, I see some going around and most of them don't obscure my vision at all. But on occasion I have almost been blinded by rediculously bright ones, which was very annoying. But each to there own, I think they do look nicer than normal lights. I have noticed how much complaining goes on here, and can understand both sides, :/ but thats me, I like to sit on the fence :D

I must admit I don't always stick to the speed limit, I always try to but sometimes the speedo just creeps up. I don't drive at redicules speeds though, thats just plain stupid. The worst is a really, really, really wide, straight stretch of road which has a 20mph limit <_<

#23 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

How many have went over 20 in a 20 zone 30mph in a 30mph zone? Over 40 in a 40 Zone?(I suspect this is more common, we seem to respect 30 more than 40/50/60/70mph for somereason) etc etc. Have you ever parked on double yellows? Gone through a orange light you could of safley stopped on? Ever got a parking ticket for parking in the wrong place/too long/over a white line/in a hatched box? The list goes on.

My HID's are not any more dazzling than a range rover vouge, a BMW X5 or a Audi A3's. They are clean.They are in projector lights(and lets face it, this is the main concern in my eyes- I agree the halogen light reflectors do not cope well with HID Lights) The suspension levelers on these more expensive cars dont seem to work because we all have the same problem when they are comming towards us on a country road.My lights are far from blue, 6000k because I dont want to draw attention, Never been flashed, I can see the road better, I had uprated standard bulbs in the car but they still didnt do the in car visability much justice.

Kinda drags when people on forums do nothing but complain how agaist the law this or that is. Were all here to help one another, Its good to advise people that may not be aware that they are breaking the law. But I dont think its right to heckel them about it really.

Jay

Mine do, they give a little nod every time they come on.

And another thing, I've never failed an MOT for doing 31 in a 30 zone either. The car is not road worthy, therefore another avenue for an insurance company to go down if a claim is made.

I don't give a shiny poo if everyone fits them, it's their money, but don't get on the backs of people who inform others of the illegality of them, especially as most people don't know. Everyone knows that doing 31 in a 30 zone is classified as speeding whether they do it or not.

#24 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

Jay

Mine do, they give a little nod every time they come on.

And another thing, I've never failed an MOT for doing 31 in a 30 zone either. The car is not road worthy, therefore another avenue for an insurance company to go down if a claim is made.

I don't give a shiny poo if everyone fits them, it's their money, but don't get on the backs of people who inform others of the illegality of them, especially as most people don't know. Everyone knows that doing 31 in a 30 zone is classified as speeding whether they do it or not.

#25 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: Jimmy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 [95] TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

whoa!

didn't realise my first topic would be so controversial!

i'm still deciding whether to fit them to mine!

#26 briggsy

briggsy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Style+

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

Jay

Using other peoples speeds and if or if not they have broken the speed limit is no defence for using HID, Trying to detract from the fact your ok to use them cos others are driving 3 miles over the limit is not a valid excuse. Who told you there was an excuse to use HID's?. i may seem angry because i am, coming home from work the other day some boi-racer had some crazy HIDS that totaly blocked my vision and could only tell i was driving straight from looking out of my side window. And telling people to take down the registration on a dark night with HID's in your face is like telling someone to lick their own !Removed!.

#27 Jason Tierney

Jason Tierney

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Someone asked what HID lights are= High Intensity Discharge Lights- thouse white/blue lights audis/merc/range rovers/bmw etc have usually as standard nowadays. Then there are aftermarket HID kits that people put in cars that are not ready and not legal to have them like my car.

My comments arent made to detract the fact that Im doing something wrong. Just that there are plenty of things that people do wrong for various reasons. Boy Racer 8/10/12k HID's in a 106 or a corsa with rubbish angel eyes that are over dazzling are dangerous and should be pulled over by the police/asked to remove them etc. But thats not happened to me (yet ;)) Because my 6k, projector light housed, 35W HID's set on the lowest setting for headalight leveling(cars do have it, just not automatic) dont dazzle people or put people in danger. People are dazzlled(SP?) by normal lights comming over hills from standard cars the fact mine are whiter shouldnt make a difference.

Its all getting a bit heated.

Jay

#28 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: Jimmy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 [95] TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

So what we are all saying is(?):

- aftermarket HIDs are illegal
- aftermarket HIDs often dazzle other drivers, more so than original-fit HIDs.
- aftermarket HIDs are an MOT failure

aftermarket HIDs are therefore only really suitable for offroad / show purposes

but surely an outright ban is a bit excessive?

#29 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,475 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

I think a major point has also been missed here. If you have HID's your car is not legal for road use. Therefore you will not be insured to drive a car that has been modified as such.

You will probably get away with it until you have or cause a fender bender when the insurance company may wash their hands of any commitment.

Stick with uprated bulbs, if you really need them.

#30 Jason Tierney

Jason Tierney

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

btmadlon- thats the general consensus we have all been posting about? That they are not legal.

orcommon- I think an outright ban on selling them would make everything much simpler and should of been the way to go. Because you can buy them from reputable sites, many will think they are legal. Generally, yes the points you/we/us have raised are true. In a mk7 Fiesta so long as they are not too bright/powerful and are kept clean I dont see the problem with using them. in a 15year old Corsa with headlights like jam jars use a 55W HID bulb in a reflector housing will casue massive problems for you and the drivers around you.

Jay

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users