Show
Photo
- - - - -

Hids On Mk7

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Hids On Mk7 (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Aftermarket HIDs on the road?

1. Aaargh! I'm blind (28 votes [39.44%])

Percentage of vote: 39.44%

2. Yaarrgh! I'm cool (26 votes [36.62%])

Percentage of vote: 36.62%

3. Oiiii. You're Nicked (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Jason Tierney

Jason Tierney

Local Rep: Yorkshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 MK7 Fiesta Zetec S Ti-VCT

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

Nice :) red looks really well dont see many red ones and I like those options alloys you have compared to the standard 16"'s the Zetec S get.

Jay

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: Jimmy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 [95] TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

cheers! it also has the body styling kit and reversing camera fitted :D love showing it off to my mates!

whats the TIVCT like to drive? I have the diesel which is economical but a bit sluggish when setting off from zero?

i think that photo has inspired me to chance some HIDs. watch for me on road wars!

#48 RCJ

RCJ

Serial Poster

• FOC Supporters
  • 461 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Ford Fiesta S1600

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

Ive got to admit i do like the look of HID lights, i think they make cars stand out and look the dogs b******s.
So i can understand why people put them on their cars.

On the negative side, i can understand why members are getting angry about them, I've been blinded by someone coming towards me and going down a country lane it can be dangerous.

I think the law shouldn't be to make them illegal. I think the law should be that any car to have HID Lights fitted should be fitted by manufacturer, whether as standard or aftermarket to ensure the safety of other road users.

Sure the guys on here who have them, your saying yours dont blind anyone, I'm not going to dispute that, but if you could have them legally checked and fitted wouldnt you rather have that, than as previously mentioned "voiding your insurance"? (not having a go at anyone, i know how easy knickers get twisted here).

Rob

#49 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

So what we are saying is, having HIDs is like trying to mate with a panda - illegal and damn dangerous but looks good in the photos afterwards

#50 Jason Tierney

Jason Tierney

Local Rep: Yorkshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 MK7 Fiesta Zetec S Ti-VCT

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

I quite like the TiVCT- pulls really well, bit gutless up hills unless your revving it coz the max torque is @ 4500rom and the max power is right at the top of the rev range(6700 in my case! standard arnt supposed to rev that high!). The Engine loves to be revved to be hoenst :) Got a J1 induction kit on it and a Milltek Cat Back so its running about 130bhp(had it dynoed a few times when ive tested/changed things)

Ive been blinded by nuggets with HID's that are in rubbish angel eyes or worse still in standard reflector lamps. But ive yet to find a fiesta mk7 that has blinded me when were doing photoshoots driving towards camera etc at night. No problems.

I had a meet up with a few members off ZSOC and drove back with one of them he had 12k HID's they were pretty blue but when he was behind me, I honestly didnt bat an eyelid about it. There was no glare, no light thrown where it shouldnt and at various distances behind me I never really took notice of it. Passed a few police cars in both directtions and neither stopped or stopped us. They prob's have better things to do like catch criminals.

Jay

#51 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

As KeithC says, give an insurance company a way out of coughing up and they will find it.

#52 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

As KeithC says, give an insurance company a way out of coughing up and they will find it.

...and of course its not just the damage to your car / third party car, if the other party is badly injured / killed, you will be paying the damages too.

risky business modding cars.

#53 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

And as I've said... Mine are declared on my policy, as with the LED sidelights and number plate bulbs. Yet I'm made out to be a criminal but I'm insured more than most on here are!

Jason- yeah on all the fiesta forums, I think I'm under the same username.

I have seen some dire setups on cars without projectors that are more blue than White and they do blind, bit only because they're reflector style. And for anyone who cares, mine were first adjusted against a wall then tested using the light dispersion machine at a testing station.... Guess what, they passed. I know in terms of washers and levellers they're not considered kosher but all those who claim to be blinded, well not by me you won't ;)

#54 ROB S140

ROB S140

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Name: rob
  • Ford Model: ford fiesta zetec s

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

im thinking of having some fitted to my car and to be honest they look awesome.
why do they have to have washers on as standard light dont and iv seen plenty and not been blinded.
and at what stage are they classed illegal as there are different types to buy.

#55 D4nz0

D4nz0

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

im thinking of having some fitted to my car and to be honest they look awesome.
why do they have to have washers on as standard light dont and iv seen plenty and not been blinded.
and at what stage are they classed illegal as there are different types to buy.

if some of the HID light hits dirt particles and deflects into someones eyes..... then there could be an issue!

I'm not a HID snob tho.... I genuinely think some people are being far too uptight about the whole issue..... HID's should not be fitted to reflector headlights...... but I have never seen an issue with them being fitted to projector headlights.... and anyone that says they have, are being far too tight about it all. (unless the headlights weren't levelled at all.)

#56 Elkie

Elkie

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 2011

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

if some of the HID light hits dirt particles and deflects into someones eyes..... then there could be an issue!

I'm not a HID snob tho.... I genuinely think some people are being far too uptight about the whole issue..... HID's should not be fitted to reflector headlights...... but I have never seen an issue with them being fitted to projector headlights.... and anyone that says they have, are being far too tight about it all. (unless the headlights weren't levelled at all.)

Not as tight as the boys in blue, I can't name my source but roadside checks are coming very soon, 3 points and 60 if you are caught, apparently it's become a big enough problem, I've seen the test kit they will be using issued by DOT....

#57 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,568 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

and at what stage are they classed illegal

At the stage you fit them to the car and drive on a public road!

#58 ROB S140

ROB S140

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Name: rob
  • Ford Model: ford fiesta zetec s

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

thanks for clearing that up lads i might just see if i can blue lights a differnt way that is not illegal lol. :rolleyes:

#59 amarokuk

amarokuk

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.4 Petrol
Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

Just to put a little perspective on this. one of my neighbours is about to lose his house probably at the end of this month after a year of court cases and trying to broker a deal. his teenage son was driving the family Ford focus fitted by him with HID lighting. The boy was involved in an accident with an other driver claiming being blinded by the lights. Both drivers were injured the other driver losing part of his leg. The insurance assessor confirmed the lights on the focus had been illegally modified and the insurance company voided the insurance. so now the family are still paying a loan on a car that is written off and they face paying 10s of thousands of pounds to the injured driver who hasn't been able to work since.

#60 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,667 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

Just to put a little perspective on this. one of my neighbours is about to lose his house probably at the end of this month after a year of court cases and trying to broker a deal. his teenage son was driving the family Ford focus fitted by him with HID lighting. The boy was involved in an accident with an other driver claiming being blinded by the lights. Both drivers were injured the other driver losing part of his leg. The insurance assessor confirmed the lights on the focus had been illegally modified and the insurance company voided the insurance. so now the family are still paying a loan on a car that is written off and they face paying 10s of thousands of pounds to the injured driver who hasn't been able to work since.

:unsure: Wow, that does make you think twice. Bit scary actually

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users